Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

On Absolute radio the other day the presenters were tickled when a listener described Absolute Radio as a channel. 

So why is a TV a Channel and a Radio a Station? 

Before some smart arse comments thinking they're oh so funny, yes, people do still listen to the radio (in the millions). 

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

On Absolute radio the other day the presenters were tickled when a listener described Absolute Radio as a channel. 

Before some smart arse comments thinking they're oh so funny, yes, people do still listen to the radio (in the millions). 

You mean the wireless

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Historical context in the US I guess.

Radio was traditionally more local broadcasting one live feed from one station

TV would have multiple channels broadcasring from one TV station

Just that I think

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bickster said:

Just that I think

That sounds about right. A radio station was literally a shack with a massive aerial on the roof. And you listened to that station, or switched to a different one. 

Therefore there is a case for saying that (say) Radio One is not a station, but one of several different 'radio channels' broadcast by the BBC, just as BBC1, BBC2, etc. are TV channels. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Just that I think

image.png.f07650744fd156da8cedbf7ee07b9295.png

Unless you mean content from one station being rebroadcast by a repeater on a different frequency to a city too far away to get a strong signal, I’ve never seen this.  And I’ve only seen that in one place in Nebraska.  In large metropolitan areas, it was always one station, one channel

My theory:  TV spectrum was divided into chunks (channels) of standard size and center frequency that are the same across the US and assigned universal channel numbers.  Radio stations can broadcast anywhere along the spectrum that the FCC hasn’t licensed to another station in the area.  I assume this is because TV requires much greater bandwidth and they had ensure local stations were broadcasting far enough apart to avoid bleed over.  It made it much easier for manufacturers to make tuners that would work everywhere and kept users from having to spin a tuning knob dozens of turns to change channels.  They functioned kind of like the old mechanical presets for radio stations in cars except they were all pre-set to the same stations and couldn’t be changed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, villaajax said:

So... what is the basis for people thinking that me and Baselayers were the same person? That we apparently left VT around the same time?

snapshot.jpg.d2d1dcee8a372538b092eaed56a9429a.jpg

I think it was something to do with, Jenny Jones was on Sunday Brunch once and had her phone in front of her but was not using it AND YET posts were being made by @Baselayers on here at the same time.

Therefore...it was you. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, hogso said:

I think it was something to do with, Jenny Jones was on Sunday Brunch once and had her phone in front of her but was not using it AND YET posts were being made by @Baselayers on here at the same time.

Therefore...it was you. 

It's the smoking gun...

3 hours ago, hogso said:

Therefore...it was you. 

I believe she was also online here whilst also competing in the Winter Olympics final :lol:

Can someone like @limpidsee peoples IP addresses? He could settle it if baselayers had the same IP address as another member.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Well, welcome home. 

The plot thickens... 

Who can solve the riddle. Was it really VillaAjax? or someone different?

This is going to end up as a Netflix documentary isn't it? :D 12 parter incoming in a few years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, villaajax said:

So... what is the basis for people thinking that me and Baselayers were the same person? That we apparently left VT around the same time?

snapshot.jpg.d2d1dcee8a372538b092eaed56a9429a.jpg

Basically yeah. You disappeared around the same time then both came back on the same day and disappeared again.  Plus I think you both interacted with each other quite a lot. 

Basically baselayers wasn’t Jenny Jones, so the assumption is it was another VTer. And you were suspect number 1 😂

• Like 1

Â