Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Modern houses, perhaps. We have a 1910 house, built of stone. The theory is that it should be cool in summer, warm in winter. Well, it is cool in summer, fair enough. But it's feckin FREEZING in winter, costs us a fortune to heat, even before the current price hikes. 

Same here, 1918 built house.

As well as the cold, expensive winter and cool summer, I get the added bonus of my office being in a loft conversion with south facing velux windows that basically cook me alive.

As I’m ditching my trips to the office because of the train strikes next week, I fully expect to die of roasting.

When our house was built in the 1950's our town probably had a handful of days per year where AC was needed, so no home had it.   We did a major remodel a few years ago and added AC, as there are now probably easily 20 days per year where it exceeds 35.   We get plenty of sun and put solar on the roof, so our electrical costs haven't really increased significantly, fortunately.  

In the last year we have had our cavity walls insulated (topped up ) and the loft insulated again topped up , my god so much warmer and nearly unbearable upstairs , we had a new boiler and rads throughout but ended up switching most of them off through the winter and one of the bedrooms had a window open most of the time. What I don’t get is people leaving curtains/ blinds wide open while the sun is blazing on the glass 🤷🏼‍♂️

4 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Has anyone bought an expensive cold air fan (like £100-300) and are they worth it when compared to a normal one? 

I've just bought a Dyson one (£350). Sort of against my wishes. Our flat is so **** warm (as mentioned earlier in the thread) that we were worried about our 6 month old overheating at night. 

Its been 27/28 degrees in the flat regularly and with the temperatures today I expect it to be hitting 30. So the health visitor advised us to get a good quality fan so we can leave it on in the room while he sleeps.

Anyway long story short, apart from being a bit quieter and the oscillation being smoother (Oh and apparently it purifies the air), it doesn't seem much different than our other tower fan which is a much cheaper one (this one from Argos)

If it wasn't for Jack I'd probably be sending it back but I guess I'll keep it as apparently it's safer to have a better quality one for a baby. Which I think is bollocks but whatever :D 

The moral of the story is £100 is probably worth it. £300 probably isn't.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've just bought a Dyson one (£350). Sort of against my wishes. Our flat is so **** warm (as mentioned earlier in the thread) that we were worried about our 6 month old overheating at night. 

Its been 27/28 degrees in the flat regularly and with the temperatures today I expect it to be hitting 30. So the health visitor advised us to get a good quality fan so we can leave it on in the room while he sleeps.

Anyway long story short, apart from being a bit quieter and the oscillation being smoother (Oh and apparently it purifies the air), it doesn't seem much different than our other tower fan which is a much cheaper one (this one from Argos)

If it wasn't for Jack I'd probably be sending it back but I guess I'll keep it as apparently it's safer to have a better quality one for a baby. Which I think is bollocks but whatever :D 

The moral of the story is £100 is probably worth it. £300 probably isn't.

Was what I was thinking. Will pick up a decent tower one that's not crazy expensive. 

• Like 1

Talked about this elsewhere for heat management in your house / flat

Early in the morning when you wake up, open everything, every door and window, get as much fresh air in as you can 

When the sun comes out close everything, close all the windows close all the doors, if you have external shutter close them (I do) if not close the curtains, don't let sunlight in to your bedrooms - do not open the windows during the day, you're trying to trap cool air inside 

Come bedtime the room should be cooler 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Early in the morning when you wake up, open everything, every door and window, get as much fresh air in as you can 

When the sun comes out close everything, close all the windows close all the doors, if you have external shutter close them (I do) if not close the curtains, don't let sunlight in to your bedrooms - do not open the windows during the day, you're trying to trap cool air inside 

I might add that,on top of that "Whirlybirds"are a great investment.

In case they are called something else in England.A whirlybird is a rotating fan that sits on your roof and sucks all the warm out in summer and the damp air out in winter,they are quite common here in Perth.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Tried everything in ours. We can get it cooler but when it’s this kind of temperature it’s a losing battle. 

Jack is napping in his nursery now which is the coolest room in the flat. Did exactly what you said, windows open this morning, closed now with the curtains closed too, and his monitor says it’s 27 in there

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Was what I was thinking. Will pick up a decent tower one that's not crazy expensive. 

Yep. That Argos one was well worth the money. Much better than cheaper fans, different power settings and modes and stuff. Remote control, sleep timer, all that stuff. It’s great. 

The Dyson one looks nicer but apart from that it’s not much different

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Tried everything in ours. We can get it cooler but when it’s this kind of temperature it’s a losing battle. 

Jack is napping in his nursery now which is the coolest room in the flat. Did exactly what you said, windows open this morning, closed now with the curtains closed too, and his monitor says it’s 27 in there

We used to put damp cloths over pedestal fans when our son was a baby. Didn't really do anything but your desperate when it's your kid. 

10 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I put mine in the freezer for an hour or so, added advantage of free ice lol when you're done. 

Ice ice baby.

Spoiler

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

I might add that,on top of that "Whirlybirds"are a great investment.

In case they are called something else in England.A whirlybird is a rotating fan that sits on your roof and sucks all the warm out in summer and the damp air out in winter,they are quite common here in Perth.

You must be joking. This sort of 'heatwave' (high 20s C) happens a few days a year. 

The Scandinavians and North Americans also snigger at our 'bad winters'. 

Â