Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

54 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's an undeniable certainty that ANY thread on VT is enhanced as soon as someone mentions gravy. FACT. 

Looks like everyone wants to hop on the gravy  train.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Do people watch or enjoy horse racing without having placed a bet on the outcome? Just watch it recreationally? 

I've always wondered this. I mean, people bet on other sports - football, cricket, golf, snooker, etc. But if betting ceased to exist, I'm pretty sure people would still take part in, and watch, them. But horse racing seems to only exist for the purposes of gambling, and without it, it would probably not happen at all (except possibly at a very amateur 'hobby' level). 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I've always wondered this. I mean, people bet on other sports - football, cricket, golf, snooker, etc. But if betting ceased to exist, I'm pretty sure people would still take part in, and watch, them. But horse racing seems to only exist for the purposes of gambling, and without it, it would probably not happen at all (except possibly at a very amateur 'hobby' level). 

I always wonder what the big attraction is in betting on the horses.If you look at the dividens,its about 90% lower than any other sport. 

17 hours ago, mjmooney said:

officially they do horse racing out in places like UAE without gambling  .. From memory you get free competitions where you predict what horses will come first , second , third with prizes given to the winners  ... though , I guess it depends on your definition of gambling to that extent 

The diehard locals use a VPN and place a bet online as if they are from elsewhere anyway  ..but horsracing is quite traditional in the UAE so i think it would survive there without any gambling legally or otherwise 

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

I always wonder what the big attraction is in betting on the horses.If you look at the dividens,its about 90% lower than any other sport. 

I say that about any sports betting tbh , I'll have a flutter from time to time , but for me the returns are just too low in the long run 

but with gambling you get to tell your friends about the 100-1 outsider that you just had a hunch was going to win ..whilst neglecting to mention the 600 times your hunch didn't come off :) 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Do people watch or enjoy horse racing without having placed a bet on the outcome? Just watch it recreationally? 

I doubt it, most gamblers are just looking for good value propositions. I will watch only if I have an interest in it.

18 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

You should try going to ladies day. That's never about gambling

42 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

If you know what you are doing, its quite lucrative.

Its probably the one thing that i gambled on over a 15 year period where i was around even in outlay, almost everything else I would be down on.

19 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I know some people who do.

33 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

If you know what you are doing, its quite lucrative.

Its probably the one thing that i gambled on over a 15 year period where i was around even in outlay, almost everything else I would be down on.

Lucrative you say .... 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Lucrative you say .... 

not for me obviously 😄 but even I was good enough to not lose long term. Without any discipline or a staking points plan breaking even was acceptable.

Edited by AVFCDAN

13 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Do they support a particular jockey or is it more they just want to see a good, close race and they don’t care who wins?

They like the horses. They like the sport. So I guess it's about the close race.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BOF said:

They like the horses. They like the sport. So I guess it's about the close race.

That's what I meant about it surviving only on a small, probably amateur scale (like rural point to point). There will always be a few of those who just enjoy watching (and riding), but without the gambling, nowhere near enough to sustain the cost of the big stables and racecourses. 

• Like 1

Is anyone on Amber Heard's side in this court battle?

Every female, even ones who have suffered abuse in their lives, seem to be 'team Johnny'. 

Â