Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

You can bet your top dollar this would NEVER happen at any other so called big clubs. We ARE a big club btw.

So remind me when did Chelsea name their new manager? You know, that tiny club from London who've been without a manager since the end of the season?

Exactly. And they clearly knew that they were going to sack Ancelotti for quite a while before they did.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the commments are hilarious. Its 7th June. Pre season doesn't start for a month, all our players are on Holiday and we don't have a competitive fixture for OVER 2 MONTHS and some act as If our season is ruined if we dont ge a manager within the next couple hours.

Methinks the man talks sense.

MM has posted on another forum that there could well be some smoke and mirrors thrown into the ring at the moment. The club were not happy that GH & Ancelotti stories were leaked prematurely. Methinks we all need to take a deep breath and be patient.

Given the long list of potential manager's that are available to approach (more than 10 reasonable ones have been posted on the thread), I would be absolutely dismayed if the board decide to approach McClaren.

Just because they're mentioned here doesnt make them available...you do know that?

Given the long list of potential manager's that are available to approach (more than 10 reasonable ones have been posted on the thread), I would be absolutely dismayed if the board decide to approach McClaren.

Just because they're mentioned here doesnt make them available...you do know that?

Of course mate - I'm not being naive here. There have probably been over 50 names mentioned by people but when I say 'reasonable ones' I'm talking 10 that as far as we're aware would have been reasonable for us to approach.

Of course we don't know if they're REALLY 'available'. CA was available until he ruled himself out, others we think are available may follow.

But it would be criminal to appoint McClaren and then turn around and say 'well we didn't think anyone else was available'. We should have at least tried.

If we end up hiring McClaren because he was truly and honestly the ONLY decent candidate who was available and willing to manage us, then fair enough - the board don't really have an option do they? But at the moment, especially while people like Hughes are definitely available to approach, there are other (and in my opinion better) options.

Stu, Have u got anything positive to say about Villa? I'm not knocking you for having an opinion but it just seems that you have a negative outlook on anything to do with the club. Personally i couldnt love and follow the Villa the way i do if i shared the same views as you, Cheer up!!

Mate, if you followed my posts at all (which to be fair you would have no need to do!) im normally one of the more upbeat posters. When people were calling for Houlliers head last season i was one of the few who wanted him to carry on and give him time.

But this managerial thing is a whole different thing altogether. This coming season is one of the biggest in many a year, what with our best players making noises about wanting out. We need good preparation for this season and the fact that nothing ever seems to happen very quickly is starting to grate on me.

You can bet your top dollar this would NEVER happen at any other so called big clubs. We ARE a big club btw.

Edit: i take it you've not met Fran yet then?? :lol: Where is fran btw?

Yep spot on, wouldn't see someone like Chelsea without a manager until now.

What do you expect seriously its been 6 days since houlliers test confirmed he couldnt carry on, you may say its been a month but thats rubbish they intended to keep gh on if health was not an issue he'd still be our manager. Not even a week and weve got raging "fans" going mental because randy hasnt appointed the first man to hand in his cv.

Incorrect mate.

The medical reports (well, five of the six that were produced) all concluded that Ged could INFACT carry on in the job, Ged himself even said that he wants to carry on in the job. So the fact that both parties came to some sort of 'mutual agreement' to part ways would suggest that the board did infact want Houllier out, but werew looking for some sort of backing from doctors that would avoid sacking Houllier, hence not having to pay off the remainder of his contract.

So, like i said, whay is this taking so long when the board knew (or had a good idea) months ago that Houllier would eventually be replaced??? Whereas its took Fulham, what, 4/5 days to appoint a manager. Its just unprofessional.

Incorrect. The medical report they were waiting for recommended Houllier rest until August/September at the earliest and ideally longer. Villa then had to decide to keep him on as manager as usual, with plenty of risks or call it a day based on those results. They decided on the latter about a week ago now.

There were numerous medical reports, the majority of which stated that Houllier was fit to carry on. The board were witing for one to effectively say what it wanted to say i.e Houllier cant carry on, which would mean no compensation paid due to medical reasons

Just calm down and stop with the baseless criticism.

We are no less professional than Chelsea, they have had since the last day of the season to appoint a Manager.

Fulham wanted Jol last season ahead of Hughes. For all we know they offered Hughes a pathetic new contract knowing he'd walk which opened the door for their first choice to come in.

Impatience is driving everyone insane.

I am calm mate.

Its the children that im scaring with my posts that need to calm down.

Mate, if you followed my posts at all (which to be fair you would have no need to do!) im normally one of the more upbeat posters. When people were calling for Houlliers head last season i was one of the few who wanted him to carry on and give him time.

But this managerial thing is a whole different thing altogether. This coming season is one of the biggest in many a year, what with our best players making noises about wanting out. We need good preparation for this season and the fact that nothing ever seems to happen very quickly is starting to grate on me.

I agree with everything you said but i genuinly believe that Randy & Co thought that there was a good chance that Houllier was going to return and therefore didnt pursue other manager's because they didnt want to undermine Houllier. Of course we all want a new manager in asap but i dont think we can start getting on the boards back for not appoiting anyone just 6 days after the former manager left.

So remind me when did Chelsea name their new manager? You know, that tiny club from London who've been without a manager since the end of the season?

Exactly. And they clearly knew that they were going to sack Ancelotti for quite a while before they did.

I think you will find that Hiddink is 99% certain to join them. Even the Turkish F.A have came out and confirmed this.

What do you expect seriously its been 6 days since houlliers test confirmed he couldnt carry on, you may say its been a month but thats rubbish they intended to keep gh on if health was not an issue he'd still be our manager. Not even a week and weve got raging "fans" going mental because randy hasnt appointed the first man to hand in his cv.

Incorrect mate.

The medical reports (well, five of the six that were produced) all concluded that Ged could INFACT carry on in the job, Ged himself even said that he wants to carry on in the job. So the fact that both parties came to some sort of 'mutual agreement' to part ways would suggest that the board did infact want Houllier out, but werew looking for some sort of backing from doctors that would avoid sacking Houllier, hence not having to pay off the remainder of his contract.

So, like i said, whay is this taking so long when the board knew (or had a good idea) months ago that Houllier would eventually be replaced??? Whereas its took Fulham, what, 4/5 days to appoint a manager. Its just unprofessional.

Incorrect. The medical report they were waiting for recommended Houllier rest until August/September at the earliest and ideally longer. Villa then had to decide to keep him on as manager as usual, with plenty of risks or call it a day based on those results. They decided on the latter about a week ago now.

There were numerous medical reports, the majority of which stated that Houllier was fit to carry on. The board were witing for one to effectively say what it wanted to say i.e Houllier cant carry on, which would mean no compensation paid due to medical reasons

Actually all the reports suggested he could carry on as the condition isnt related to stress. But that he should rest for a long period.

The one they were waiting for at the end was the most detailed and accurate.

You're assuming that firstly, they didn't want him to carry on. Which I've seen no evidence for. And secondly that they've been looking for ages for a manager knowing that Houllier would be off which again, is not only a bit naughty and disrespectful but also out of character for Randy and Co. Planning for life without Houllier perhaps, but actively seeking his replacement? No. And again, no evidence for it.

So have a rant at dithering if you like but its based on nothing.

I still think Ancelotti is in the running. But the best thing I've read all day is MM saying it won't be McClaren. :D
Same. Now all the speculation linking him with the Villa job has all but gone him and Randy can thrash out a deal. :)

. Its 7th June. Pre season doesn't start for a month, all our players are on Holiday and we don't have a competitive fixture for OVER 2 MONTHS

You shouldn't have pointed that out to them POB, 1 month for pre season and 2 months for first fixture...They're bound to panic now.

Ok, pre-season does not start for a month or so, the players are all away on their holibobs, there are still 2 Premier League clubs that are managerless, there are a few candidates readily available and a few that, with a bit of 'gentle' persuasion could be tempted to leave their jobs for a new future at Villa..

However, I think it is still important that Villa install a manager quickly. The players are uncertain of their futures, the transfer window is open soon and there are a number of players that could jump ship (Young, Downing, rumours of Bent), plus the 10 players that have been released.

If a manager is installed quickly, he has time to identify what is left behind, what is required to build the team, convince those that want to jump ship to stay, gel the existing players together, make plans for the future, draw up a list of possible targets BEFORE the window opens and allow the club and its fans to settle down in preparation for the new season..

Graham Taylor, Ian Taylor, Stan Collymore have all re-iterated this in some shape or form, maybe they are talking out of their arses too?

I know people are saying why rush, but I think it is important that the club signals its intentions by getting the right man, right now.

I still think Ancelotti is in the running. But the best thing I've read all day is MM saying it won't be McClaren. :D
Same. Now all the speculation linking him with the Villa job has all but gone him and Randy can thrash out a deal. :)

Well MM said the Ancelotti thing could be smokes and mirrors. The same thing the apprarent "itk" said on avillafan forum.

I think you will find that Hiddink is 99% certain to join them. Even the Turkish F.A have came out and confirmed this.

But he hasn't joined and hasn't even been interviews yet, not til next week, were interviewing candidates at the moment, were going to have someone in place by next week. That guy will have 3 weeks before pre season and 2 months before a proper game. Is that honestly that bad???? No different to Chelsea..

However, I think it is still important that Villa install a manager quickly. The players are uncertain of their futures, the transfer window is open soon and there are a number of players that could jump ship (Young, Downing, rumours of Bent), plus the 10 players that have been released.

Thank you.

Its the players not knowing what the fook is going on that im most concerned about. They need assurances just the same as us fans do