dudevillaisnice

Only watched the first half but I very unimpressed with Barkley. There are several players who will probably get called up for the euros who haven't performed well for their clubs of late. 

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I still think there's a danger of them doing what we've done...next manager appointment is huge, potentially replacing lukaku, stones and Barkley too...

Yes imo they're at a crossroads similar to us in 2011.

They could easily get dragged down into relegation fights if they don't replace Lukaku properly (they can always take Gestede off us!). Just think they're on what 44 points and he's easily won at least 10 points for them this season with his 20 goals so they get in some joker to replace him and suddenly they're in low 30s territory. 

If you look at the squad -

GK - Howard is leaving, Joel is bang average on a good day so they definitely need a new one

Defence - jagielka is 33, Oviedo has missed the year with injury I think but I think will be ok next year, funes mori is ok, stones could be off, holgate needs to be brought through, Baines and Colman are both good players, think they have an England U21 reserve LB, hibbert is 35 so assuming holgate is the long term thinking with jagielkas age it'll depend on replacing stones

Midfield - osman, Gibson, pienaar all released, Barry getting on, McCarthy and cleverly both ok, basic isn't very good from what I've seen, Barkley could be off, they need at least one quality CM, maybe 2 and then someone to replace Barkley

Wingers - mirallas wants out, lennons had a good year, deulofeu is a great player IMO if mirallas goes then there isn't much depth, cleverly can play wide but he's not very good there

Attack - Kone is shit, niasse needs game time, lukaku is quality but wants out, think they need one more regardless of lukaku leaving

So yeah IMO they need a GK, maybe another young defender to develop, a good CM, a young CM, a young winger and a striker...and then replace lukaku, Barkley and stones if they all leave...good luck to them!

Btw I'm well aware AG probably won't agree with me on my opinion on their squad

Edit: I forgot they bought byram so that's the young defender covered and they have ledson who looks a good CM prospect but I don't know if he's ready

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

If you look at the squad -

GK - Howard is leaving, Joel is bang average on a good day so they definitely need a new one

Defence - jagielka is 33, Oviedo has missed the year with injury I think but I think will be ok next year, funes mori is ok, stones could be off, holgate needs to be brought through, Baines and Colman are both good players, think they have an England U21 reserve LB, hibbert is 35 so assuming holgate is the long term thinking with jagielkas age it'll depend on replacing stones

Midfield - osman, Gibson, pienaar all released, Barry getting on, McCarthy and cleverly both ok, basic isn't very good from what I've seen, Barkley could be off, they need at least one quality CM, maybe 2 and then someone to replace Barkley

Wingers - mirallas wants out, lennons had a good year, deulofeu is a great player IMO if mirallas goes then there isn't much depth, cleverly can play wide but he's not very good there

Attack - Kone is shit, niasse needs game time, lukaku is quality but wants out, think they need one more regardless of lukaku leaving

So yeah IMO they need a GK, maybe another young defender to develop, a good CM, a young CM, a young winger and a striker...and then replace lukaku, Barkley and stones if they all leave...good luck to them!

Btw I'm well aware AG probably won't agree with me on my opinion on their squad

Edit: I forgot they bought byram so that's the young defender covered and they have ledson who looks a good CM prospect but I don't know if he's ready

Yes when you put it like that the squad is nowhere near as good as people make out. Martinez will get sacked but I have doubts that a new manager will do that much better.

Â