dudevillaisnice

Is Lampard really that bad a manager?   He did better at Derby than those who came before and after him, and was judged at Chelsea in comparison to elite managers who came before and after him.  Ok Chelsea were in 9th when they fired him and they'd overspent on the likes of Werner but he gave more chances to the likes of Mount, James and Abraham,  some of whom are now established first choices or have been sold for hefty fees.  Up to a few months ago Arsenal were much lower than 9th and everyone was saying Arteta was a shit manager but that tune seems to have changed.  I think it's a risk for Everton but by no means a foregone conclusion that he will fail.      

I think no

Chelsea just didn't understand what made him good and bought players that he couldn't connect with 

The mental side of football done him in I think, year 1 tomori, Mount, Abraham played for him, year 2 werner, silva, havertz etc didn't and its not hard to see why 

The interesting thing now is that tuchel is under pressure because he's not getting a great tune out of those players either... Its not always automatically the manager 

Frank should be England u21 manager imo I think he'd be perfect for it 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

Is Lampard really that bad a manager?   He did better at Derby than those who came before and after him, and was judged at Chelsea in comparison to elite managers who came before and after him.  Ok Chelsea were in 9th when they fired him and they'd overspent on the likes of Werner but he gave more chances to the likes of Mount, James and Abraham,  some of whom are now established first choices or have been sold for hefty fees.  Up to a few months ago Arsenal were much lower than 9th and everyone was saying Arteta was a shit manager but that tune seems to have changed.  I think it's a risk for Everton but by no means a foregone conclusion that he will fail.      

I don't believe so. I'm unsure why most seem to think this will be a disaster. I think it will work out well for Everton. 

I'm not saying Lampard is a bad manager, but at Derby he didn't do much of a better job than Rowett did the season before, both finished sixth, they actually finished with more points with Rowett as manager, Lampard got them to the play off final whereas they got knocked out in the semi-finals under Rowett.  Also have to take into consideration that Rowett didn't have the likes of Harry Wilson, Mason  Mount, and Fikayo Tomori available for selection. They'vd dropped down the table since Lampard left, but they've had a weaker squad because of money troubles, if you put Lampard in charge of the current Derby squad or the one from last season he'd probably struggle as well.

I'm not sure how well he will do at Everton, but I think he wil do at  least enough to keep them safe from relegation.

There's part of me that wonders if Everton have seen the relatively positive impact Gerrard has had one us, and have gone for Lampard because they see it as a similar type of appointment and are hoping for the same kind of impact.

• Like 3

When i was coming back from yhe play iff final my train was packed with derby fans (gotta say they were a really pleasant bunch)

They wanted lamps to leave said made some absolutely baffling decisions. At Chelsea he was a disaster. 

Lamps is a average to poor manager. This will be his last big job in pl if he fails

23 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I don't believe so. I'm unsure why most seem to think this will be a disaster. I think it will work out well for Everton. 

Maybe I am unfair but he gives me Sherwood vibes

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, useless said:

I'm not saying Lampard is a bad manager, but at Derby he didn't do much of a better job than Rowett did the season before, both finished sixth, they actually finished with more points with Rowett as manager, Lampard got them to the play off final whereas they got knocked out in the semi-finals under Rowett.  Also have to take into consideration that Rowett didn't have the likes of Harry Wilson, Mason  Mount, and Fikayo Tomori available for selection. They'vd dropped down the table since Lampard left, but they've had a weaker squad because of money troubles, if you put Lampard in charge of the current Derby squad or the one from last season he'd probably struggle as well.

I'm not sure how well he will do at Everton, but I think he wil do at  least enough to keep them safe from relegation.

There's part of me that wonders if Everton have seen the relatively positive impact Gerrard has had one us, and have gone for Lampard because they see it as a similar type of appointment and are hoping for the same kind of impact.

He should have got promotion with that Derby side. Them and Leeds were the division standouts in terms of quality. 

26 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

He should have got promotion with that Derby side. Them and Leeds were the division standouts in terms of quality. 

Mings Grealish Tammy McGinn and the rest were miles better than those 2.  Leeds had a system and Derby had some great young loans.

10 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Mings Grealish Tammy McGinn and the rest were miles better than those 2.  Leeds had a system and Derby had some great young loans.

We had a better attacking squad but we were in a huge mess with one senior centre back until January and a rotation of poor goalkeepers until Steer came in

Edited by Zatman

The Leeds squad that season wasn't that strong, was basically the same players they had been finishing midtable with. On paper we probably had the best squad that season but there were mitigating circumstances, those being that up until January we hardly had a defence, Grealish and Tuanzebe missed both missed around three months of the season. I don't think it was until March that we were able to get all the players playing together and that's when we went on a run of form.

Edited by useless

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We had a better attacking squad but we were in a huge mess with one senior centre back until January and a rotation of poor goalkeepers until Steer came in

Yep from Jan to the play off final I think the class told.

1 hour ago, El Segundo said:

He did well bringing the youth through. No way would likes of Tammy, Mount and James have got the opportunities under Sarri otherwise they'd have played in 18/19 rather than being loaned out to us, Derby and Wigan.

That's something he can do at Everton long term as Anthony Gordon looks decent and they have a few others on the fringes.

My main reservation is the guy really can't organise a defence at all so he's in same category as Martinez and Howe. If a Chelsea side under him is conceding 50 goals a season and then Tuchel comes in, tweaks a few things and instantly they go to under a goal a game that shows his current limits as a manager and Everton have a very average backline.

Think that's why they've brought in a few more attackers as way they'll get the 4-5 wins to keep them up is winning games 3-2 than 1-0.

He'll keep them up and then get them 9th-10th in the league. Depends for how long their fans will put up with that.

1 hour ago, useless said:

I think that’s exactly what they have seen, going down the young progressive manager route, the biggest difference between the 2 is Gerrard has a clear idea of what he’s trying to do, he took his time and spent 4 years of his coaching career out of the limelight, Lampard got his interview at Derby through Uncle Harry he stated in a interview he was surprised he got the job, Gerrard from day one has had a plan , Lampard on the other hand came into management thinking “o yeah I’d like to give it a go”. I thought how he set up tactically at Derby at times was very naive and the truth of the matter is Wayne Rooney would have Derby in the top 10 if it wasn’t for the points deduction. If Derby don’t go into administration and he can stay there for 2-3 seasons more and hone his craft then he might make it as a top flight manager similar to Vieira starting out as a DOF then a manager at New York and Nice before jumping into the Premier League,  Lampard’s downfall was jumping into the top flight to soon the man has barely payed his dues, the likes of Pep Guardiola might be the exception.

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He did well bringing the youth through. No way would likes of Tammy, Mount and James have got the opportunities under Sarri otherwise they'd have played in 18/19 rather than being loaned out to us, Derby and Wigan.

That's something he can do at Everton long term as Anthony Gordon looks decent and they have a few others on the fringes.

Maybe Sarri would have played them since they had a transfer ban so they would have been needed

21 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Why given how much money Everton appear to have/spend, do they spend so much on players in decline or out of form?

They are signing players from expired Football Manager games

Â