dudevillaisnice

Huh, there was no offer to Martinez at any point, it was a tentative enquiry at best. Martinez stayed with Wigan out of loyalty, nothing more.

"Roberto met with his chairman [Dave Whelan] earlier this week and has made the decision to honour his commitment to Wigan," read a Villa statement.

"Therefore, we have not met Roberto and we have not had the chance to discuss the vacant managerial role with him."

If you believe Martinez never discussed what we had an offer then my word. The gap was too long from  when we made the approach to the actual decision of him staying for us to not have had any dialogue. Villa statement after was to save face as Mr Whelan had took us to proverbial cleaners for PR.

If Whelen's timeline was correct, i.e. that we approached him about two weeks prior to him blabbing to the press, that would suggest Martinez was No. 1 target too.

I remember having a discussion on here at the end of last season about the merits of Martinez and many argued because he had done nothing but keep Wigan up season after season that he wasn't worthy of the job but to achieve that at a club like Wigan and to win the FA Cup was remarkable. He had already started building the model at Swansea. I think he's destined for the very top and even Everton won't be big enougn for him. In fact he would have been perfect for United.

Edited by PaulC

lots of stuff

I assume you were at the game, it was good that Arteta didn't celebrate his goal wasn't it?   

Seriously though, how did Arteta's own goal go down?  It seems the Goodison crowd have turned against him since his shenanigans in the return fixture earlier in the season.  If Everton finish above Arsenal due to a result in a game where he scored an OG in then him leaving for supposedly sunnier climes looks a bit weak doesn't it? 

lots of stuff

I assume you were at the game, it was good that Arteta didn't celebrate his goal wasn't it?   

Seriously though, how did Arteta's own goal go down?  It seems the Goodison crowd have turned against him since his shenanigans in the return fixture earlier in the season.  If Everton finish above Arsenal due to a result in a game where he scored an OG in then him leaving for supposedly sunnier climes looks a bit weak doesn't it? 

Haha, yeah, I went. 

Well, we didn't really realise it was an OG at the time, but afterward I think that for a lot of Evertonians is it made it all the sweeter that it was him who scored it. 

There was always a small minority who have disliked him since he left as they felt he was leaving us when we most needed him but there is a lot more to that story than those people seem to realise. He still always received a warm reception from the majority though. Anyway, yes, he annoyed a lot of fans with his behaviour in the Cup game and basically, the minority turned to the majority. I don't think he was expecting that reaction and it appeared to really get to him, which I think showed in the Barkley/Baines situation late on. They are former team-mates who trained and played with him for some time. He brought it on himself though. Personally, I still think no real difference on him and I still support him but if I was him, I'd move back to Spain this summer.

On Roberto, I've been to a few events where he has spoken at length about all different things. He basically said for him, there has to be certain things that draw him to a club before he'll join, he has to feel a connection and that circumstances are right. he won't take just any job. He basically admitted he never felt the connection with other clubs (direct quote "some that you will have seen talked about") prior to moving to us. He's waiting for the Barca job. I'm pretty certain of that.

Edited by Artetasgirl

If Whelen's timeline was correct, i.e. that we approached him about two weeks prior to him blabbing to the press, that would suggest Martinez was No. 1 target too.

Yes I believe he was which means there must have been some sort of dialogue between us and Martinez via his representatives. I just do not believe he would not have had a discussion with us.

lots of stuff

Haha, yeah, I went. 

Well, we didn't really realise it was an OG at the time, but afterward I think that for a lot of Evertonians is it made it all the sweeter that it was him who scored it. 

There was always a small minority who have disliked him since he left as they felt he was leaving us when we most needed him but there is a lot more to that story than those people seem to realise. He still always received a warm reception from the majority though. Anyway, yes, he annoyed a lot of fans with his behaviour in the Cup game and basically, the minority turned to the majority. I don't think he was expecting that reaction and it appeared to really get to him, which I think showed in the Barkley/Baines situation late on. They are former team-mates who trained and played with him for some time. He brought it on himself though. Personally, I still think no real difference on him and I still support him but if I was him, I'd move back to Spain this summer.

On Roberto, I've been to a few events where he has spoken at length about all different things. He basically said for him, there has to be certain things that draw him to a club before he'll join, he has to feel a connection and that circumstances are right. he won't take just any job. He basically admitted he never felt the connection with other clubs (direct quote "some that you will have seen talked about") prior to moving to us. He's waiting for the Barca job. I'm pretty certain of that.

Well he won't be moving there for a few years until he can actually buy a player.

• 4 weeks later...

We got another similar player who's a few years younger, rated just as highly (if not more) than Jack, called Ross Barkley. Unfortunately he's been out since October with a triple leg break (again, caused on international duty :( ).

Class goal and performance again yesterday  :wub:

Edited by Artetasgirl
  • Like 2

You still hanging around here AG?

Thought you'd have been locked up for stalking Spanish footballers by now :P

• Like 2

You still hanging around here AG?

Thought you'd have been locked up for stalking Spanish footballers by now :P

Haha, I pop in every now and again  ;)

Not yet, you didn't mention restraining orders though.... :ph34r:  ;)

He's some player that Barkley.

According to Martinez we shouldn't take him the World Cup because he needs a holiday. Does he eck, the kid is a bull.

A forward thinking progressive nation/manager would not only have him on the plane, he'd be starting. Shame we're not that.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Yeah, good old Woy will play Gerrard and Cleverley........and then bring Fat Old Frank on in the second half.

Barkley is the future of England. He should be playing now.

He's some player that Barkley.

According to Martinez we shouldn't take him the World Cup because he needs a holiday. Does he eck, the kid is a bull.

A forward thinking progressive nation/manager would not only have him on the plane, he'd be starting. Shame we're not that.

Actually Spain keeps their players in the juniors for a pretty long time.

• 2 weeks later...
Â