Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Mark Lawrenson really is a dick.

Just seen his prediction of the Swansea game tomorrow. He gives us a two-nil win, but then he adds this paragraph to his description of the game:

Villa are a mid-table side, but would I be surprised if someone came in to try to buy Bent in January? No, probably not. They have become a selling club.

Why is that necessary? Regardless of whether it's true or not (which it is), it still has no relevance to predicting and previewing the Swansea game.

Dick.

Fans seem to think there's no chance he'll move to a different club because he touched the crest and said he's happy to be here. Means nothing. He did the same at Sunderland.

The board have the power to keep him. But they won't put any fight if an offer comes up and Bent wants to leave.

If Bent is sold, it would really affect us this season. Not just goals wise but morale as well.

The media are pushing this move through

I would be nice to hear PF / RL / AMc to put a statement our saying "NOT FOR SALE"

Matt Kendrick happens to be tweeting right now that this is exactly what AMcL has said.

Mark Lawrenson really is a dick.

Just seen his prediction of the Swansea game tomorrow. He gives us a two-nil win, but then he adds this paragraph to his description of the game:

Villa are a mid-table side, but would I be surprised if someone came in to try to buy Bent in January? No, probably not. They have become a selling club.

Why is that necessary? Regardless of whether it's true or not (which it is), it still has no relevance to predicting and previewing the Swansea game.

Dick.

Totally agree and its an utterly irrelevant comment to make in a match prediction anyway. Lawro is another of the clowns in the media who are MON lovers so he is bound to put the boot in.

Personally I think Bent will not go for two reasons. Firstly he needs guaranteed first team football and Villa will give him that. None of the bigger clubs can necessarily do that.

Secondly I think a sale of Bent would be tantamount to Lerner saying he has absolutely no interest in developing Villa in anyway at all. Whilst the growing band of Lerner haters would leap on this at minimum Lerner has to protect his investment and finishing in the bottom third, flirting with relegation and shredding both season ticket sales and general ticket sales will simply destroy value. Its particularly true if any of the sale rumours have any substance.

It would take silly money to sign Bent. I can't see the club selling for less than 40m.

It's the wages of the squad players that were/are the problem. A few big money players (IIRC Beye, Heskey and Cuellar) are out of contract soon so I can't see us selling our best asset.

Alex McLeish has warned any potential suitors that Aston Villa have no intention of parting with Darren Bent.

The England international only moved to Villa Park in January 2011, with £24million required to lure him away from Sunderland.

He is, however, regarded as one of the most consistent goal-getters in the Premier League and any number of clubs would welcome him into their ranks.

Speculation has suggested that Liverpool may be tempted to make a move during the current transfer window, with Kenny Dalglish in the market for goals.

McLeish, though, has made it clear that Bent is going nowhere, with Villa determined to retain the services of their most potent attacking weapon.

He said: "Yes, I say that now. He won't be leaving."

Bent has seen injuries restrict him to just 16 outings this season, while an ill-advised pre-Christmas shopping trip saw him make headlines for all of the wrong reasons.

The 27-year-old admits it has been a frustrating campaign for him on a personal level, but he has given no indication that he is looking to move on.

He said: "It has been a frustrating time for me with injuries but I am now going in the right direction.

"Long-term I don't think it was anything serious. I probably need to do a bit more work in the gym to get things stronger and just take it from there really.

"Hopefully that's the last of my injury problems and I can look forward to some more time on the pitch and scoring goals now."

from the horses mouth

Pleased we've come out and immediately said 'No' to this idle speculation. It would be suicidal to sell Bent at this moment in time.

Unfortunatley its not up to Mcleish.

If the board accept an offer - he will go. If an offer comes - I feel the board will accept.

Our best hope is that Andy Caroll starts scoring for liverpool !!!!

jeez - what more do you want?!?!?

Some people love to pick a negative regardless

Unfortunatley its not up to Mcleish.

If the board accept an offer - he will go. If an offer comes - I feel the board will accept.

Our best hope is that Andy Caroll starts scoring for liverpool !!!!

Maybe but i think if RL sold Bent he'd be tieing his own noose. After hiring AMC to then sell bent would be the end of relations between him and the villa faithful. Therefore i don't think he will sell Bent.

However i'd still quite like Caroll in a villa shirt. Saw his ability in Newcastle. He is a good player just neesd a run of games and good service.

Totally agree and its an utterly irrelevant comment to make in a match prediction anyway. Lawro is another of the clowns in the media who are MON lovers so he is bound to put the boot in.

Personally I think Bent will not go for two reasons. Firstly he needs guaranteed first team football and Villa will give him that. None of the bigger clubs can necessarily do that.

Secondly I think a sale of Bent would be tantamount to Lerner saying he has absolutely no interest in developing Villa in anyway at all. Whilst the growing band of Lerner haters would leap on this at minimum Lerner has to protect his investment and finishing in the bottom third, flirting with relegation and shredding both season ticket sales and general ticket sales will simply destroy value. Its particularly true if any of the sale rumours have any substance.

A moment of calm amidst the storm. Good post.

I wholeheartedly agree that Bent is fully aware of the fact that, at Villa, his name is usually first on the team sheet. This is what he wants, needs and he has already suffered the frustrations of 'squad rotation' at Spuds. Does he really want to go through that again? You could guarantee he would if he went to the plop.

And, although I have grown fairly disillusioned with RL, I can't believe he is that stupid as to sell at this point in time. Is he?

Â