Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

If it is true that "Bent can't play in a McLeish team" then one of two things has got to happen:

1) McLeish has got to sell Bent and get in players who will fit his style (which I'm assuming is long-ball, physical football).

2) McLeish has got to change his approach towards managing a football team, and start playing to the strengths of a player who can guarantee you 20-goals-a-season when you give him the service he needs.

Considering McLeish's style got Blues relegated last season, I know which one of those two options I'd be voting for given a choice.

But he doesnt guarantee you 20 goals a season.

Fair play if its Messi, you look to the manager to go to all ends to fit the player in. Not with Darren Bent Im afraid.

If it is true that "Bent can't play in a McLeish team" then one of two things has got to happen:

1) McLeish has got to sell Bent and get in players who will fit his style (which I'm assuming is long-ball, physical football).

2) McLeish has got to change his approach towards managing a football team, and start playing to the strengths of a player who can guarantee you 20-goals-a-season when you give him the service he needs.

Considering McLeish's style got Blues relegated last season, I know which one of those two options I'd be voting for given a choice.

But he doesnt guarantee you 20 goals a season.

Fair play if its Messi, you look to the manager to go to all ends to fit the player in. Not with Darren Bent Im afraid.

His goalscoring record speaks for himself. Over the last five seasons he's up there with Rooney and Drogba, two of the best strikers in the world.

The before last with Sunderland he scored 24 league goals.

At the end of last season he played 16 games and scored 9 goals. That sort of form over a whole season gets you 20 goals minimum.

Yet this season he has so far he's got 6 from 16 games. He's also had less touches in the Premier League than any other player.

He's the best natural goalscorer we've had since Dwight Yorke and he's being absolutely wasted.

In the league, twice. He probably would have last year if he'd had a full-settled season (i.e. stayed at Sunderland all year or moved to Villa in the summer).

He's into his prime now. This is his real chance to show that he is a top top goalscorer. And we're doing nothing about it.

In the league, twice. He probably would have last year if he'd had a full-settled season (i.e. stayed at Sunderland all year or moved to Villa in the summer).

He's into his prime now. This is his real chance to show that he is a top top goalscorer. And we're doing nothing about it.

I assume your including a season in the championship there?

I would say that Bent could have done more to get himself more goals.

But if the two best creative players in the team were sold, and a manager comes in who just employs a hoof ball tactic all the time, I probably wouldn't give a shit either.

Rmber we had muppets on here slag off Ashley Young , Milner , Downing etc as being "shit" and should sell etc

I dont think Ive ever understood a word you have posted. I have certainly never come across a post of yours that is relevant to the discussion.

Had Houllier still been with you, do you really think Bent would be doing much better? Isn't the absence of Young, Walker and Downing the main problem. Likewise, had you signed Yakubu last season instead, would he have scored any less with that sort of service? Basically are McCleish and Bent really that big of a deal compared to selling your best players?

But if the two best creative players in the team were sold, and a manager comes in who just employs a hoof ball tactic all the time, I probably wouldn't give a shit either.

So let me get this straight?

Your happy with our striker, who takes 70,000 of our money each week not being arsed, based on the fact that things arent quite going his way?

Your happy with our striker, who takes 70,000 of our money each week not being arsed, based on the fact that things arent quite going his way?

"Not being arsed"?

Why do ppl spout stuff like this?

It is utter rubbish

Also, as you point how how good 9 in 16 was last season - are you suggesting that Darren Bent hasnt made an arse of at least (at least) 3 clear cut chances to equal that record this season?

You talk like you haven't seen the man play. He's not the greatest finisher ever, yes, he misses easy chances, he's always done that. He's not the player who'll score on a single chance to win you the game 1:0 ( if he had been all that he wouldn't be here in the first place ).

BUT, he's the kind of striker who gets himself in a lot of good positions, that give him a lot of scoring chances, while not necessarily scoring an extremely high percentage of them. However, when a team has 10 crosses a game and you watch the opposition defenders clear them all you don't think of how the striker could have been in a better position to take advantage and get to the ball before any of the defenders do. It just seems like half a scoring chance. Now, Bent is the kind of striker who gets to the ball more often than most other strikers do, he scores some and he misses some, but he's there to make these half chances into scoring opportunities, whereas, most strikers would just not get to the ball at all to even make an arse of the scoring chance.

"Not being arsed"?

Why do ppl spout stuff like this?

It is utter rubbish

Im quoting the original poster who claims D. bent doesnt give a shit.

I'm not happy with it, but I understand why it happens.

Yes we all want players to do their best 100% of the time regardless of circumstances, but that just doesn't happen.

Compare it to a workplace: if you get certain perks taken away, do you really think every person would continue to give 100% despite seeing no improvement in conditions or the prospect of better things to come?

Of course not, and it's the same with footballers. Regardless of the money they earn or their line of work, they're people like you and me.

If they get pissed off with things, it affects their performance. And whilst they shoulder part of that responsibility turn it around, so does their employer or boss, in this case the manager.

McLeish should be doing everything possible to benefit Aston Villa. Yet he's taking a very good player and giving him no service and no support. It seems ridiculous not to consider how this might affect Bent.

I'm not happy with it, but I understand why it happens.

Yes we all want players to do their best 100% of the time regardless of circumstances, but that just doesn't happen.

Compare it to a workplace: if you get certain perks taken away, do you really think every person would continue to give 100% despite seeing no improvement in conditions or the prospect of better things to come?

Of course not, and it's the same with footballers. Regardless of the money they earn or their line of work, they're people like you and me.

If they get pissed off with things, it affects their performance. And whilst they shoulder part of that responsibility turn it around, so does their employer or boss, in this case the manager.

McLeish should be doing everything possible to benefit Aston Villa. Yet he's taking a very good player and giving him no service and no support. It seems ridiculous not to consider how this might affect Bent.

Ok, I dont agree, but I dont want to turn this into a money arguement.

However, I do have a question.

D. Bent and A. Mcliesh - two people not performing for numerous reasons.

Imo, (and you maybe different). Alex Mcliesh is trying his best. His best isnt good enough, but I believe hes doing his best. Darren Bent isnt doing his best, his best is good enough (we all know that) but he isnt giving his all.

Why are people a lot more patient with Darren bent?

You may say Darren Bents performance relys on Mcliesh's and Id agree, but surely its the same vice verser.

You may also say that the manager must take responsibility more than Bent. Id agree also.

But, is the difference in responsibility so great that it warrants the difference in patience shown to each person?

Â