Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

If Lambert had plans to offload DB, then I wonder if the injury might alter that?

I think that a formation including Bent could work in games against bottom half teams where we have plenty of possession, but I can't see how it would work against top half teams? In an ideal world I would like us to keep DB but I really feel the money a sale generates could be better used elsewhere

Woodytom you make it sound like bent has been awful since the day we signed him and people keep making excuses for him.

This is the first time he's looked poor in a villa shirt and i don't see many people making excuses for him. Some just think that as we aren't scoring goal or winning enough games it might be a good idea to try and get a player who has scored goals for fun throughout his career into the team.

Last night he he looked as sharp as I've seen him this season until his injury. The change to 3 5 2 is surely with a view to adding width and creating the opportunities we have been crying out for. Benteke with his strength and Bent with his predator instinct seem a perfect match.

Our full back played as high up the pitch as wingers last night I can only see positives for Bent in this system. Get him fit and give him a run of games and I'm sure he'll come good again.

Its vital that we keep a player of Bent' ability. Benteke Bent Aggy and Weimann give us great opitions up front and should allow Lambert to concentrate on improving other areas of the squad

• Like 1

Woodytom you make it sound like bent has been awful since the day we signed him and people keep making excuses for him.

This is the first time he's looked poor in a villa shirt and i don't see many people making excuses for him. Some just think that as we aren't scoring goal or winning enough games it might be a good idea to try and get a player who has scored goals for fun throughout his career into the team.

I dont think hes been awful at all. I dont think hes been anywhere near a 20m pound player mind.

However, I don't think this is the first time hes looked poor. I think hes looked poor/ineffective in nearly all the games (if not all) where he hasnt scored. Which is more than half. Quite a lot more than half. Other than the goals he has scored (which I have always come on here and said, 'fair play thats what hes there to do and hes done it today'), what has he actually done? I cant remember many, if any instances where he has done something other than score on occasions - which unfortunately hasnt been enough to propel us up the table.

Seriously, when you spend money like that, you expect them to have a huge impact. He just hasn't had it. Not through any individual fault of Darrens, other than hes simply not a player worth that money.

Should we fit him in, he could be useful - I dont think to any great degree though, but Im not totally against it.

He definately should never be the focal point of the team though (as many were suggesting in the summer) and we definately will NOT miss him should he leave as we have been appauling while he has been here. Again not an individual fault of Darren's though he has shown me nothing to suggest hes capable of eradicating the situation, as oppose to a more all round player like Benteke, who has.

Lads I spoke to who were at the game said he was playing very well until the injury.

He was always going to.

Definite hamstring injury but he was able to walk off the pitch (with assistance).

:detect:

Look at the result we just got with Bent starting!

:clap: 1-1 then he went off.

Does it not say it all that we then went on to win 4-1 without him?

If Lambert had plans to offload DB, then I wonder if the injury might alter that?

What injury? :suspect:

..Oh yeah that one! B)

Surely there is a way to get Bent, Benteke and Wiemann in the team at the same time?

There is.

It's when there warming up before the game.

Surely there is a way to get Bent, Benteke and Wiemann in the team at the same time? Would have some serious firepower then!

It would probably be very unbalanced.

Good to see that he got a start. Shame about the injury, though. And I think we can put that clause theory aside now.

Lads I spoke to who were at the game said he was playing very well until the injury.

he was doing ok but I wouldn't say very well, had one chance when he was put clean through he should have buried but their keeper made a good save. Noticed a couple of times he got a bit frustrated calling for the ball and it going elsewhere, think maybe the team have got quite used to not playing with him up top perhaps and as I watched last night I found myself thinking maybe he just doesn't suit our style of play.... we certainly looked more dangerous with Benteke, Andreas and Zog up there.

For goodness sake, I have not come out with any facts. Hence the word 'about' in my post. Not only that but I said about 9 in 4???? - wouldnt that be an exaggeration in Bents favor?

We havent had any good times without Bent in the squad, Your right. Thats because he has been part of the most woeful Villa team Ive ever witnessed. At best, average premiership players on ridiculous wages. And thank god, we are trying to get away from that. Maybe we do score more with Bent in the side? Not this season to my mind (so your facts are outdated :) ) - but we don't win more, we have never won more and at no point has the signing of Bent instigated a dramatic improvement that a 24m signing should. And I think people forget this quite quickly. We have paid what, at least 20m already for this bloke. Jesus, when is he going to stand up and take some responsibility. For how long are we going to blame the systems/managers? Hes not a 20m pound player. Never has been. And that is why I said it from the beginning - When hes not scoring - hes useless and he goes too many games without scoring.

@ LondonLAx - I don't go quiet when Darren Bent scores. I can guarantee you that I usually praise him for doing his job.

im sure if bent cost £24 million he would be what you want your magical forward to be, unfortunately he only cost £18 million so you need to lower your expectations

are all goal keepers who dont keep a clean sheet useless and a waste of a player? and if they dont keep a clean sheet are they soley responsible for the results?

because that is exactly the same as saying that a forward who if not scoring a goal does nothing and also blaming the forward for the entire teams performances and the end result of the game

im sure if bent cost £24 million he would be what you want your magical forward to be, unfortunately he only cost £18 million so you need to lower your expectations

are all goal keepers who dont keep a clean sheet useless and a waste of a player? and if they dont keep a clean sheet are they soley responsible for the results?

because that is exactly the same as saying that a forward who if not scoring a goal does nothing and also blaming the forward for the entire teams performances and the end result of the game

The Bent deal was an initial 18 mill rising to 24 mill based on a few conditions being met. I'd imagine one of them would have been us staying up in 2010/11 and another a few more England appearances. I think it is safe to assume that Bent will have so far cost us at least 20 mill.

I agree that you shouldn't judge a forward simply on the goals he scores. In Bents case though I think even his strongest supporter would have to acknowledge that if he isn't scoring he isn't doing a fat lot else. You compare his work rate to someone like Weimann then Bent isn't in the same league. If Weimann isn't scoring then his workrate is still exceptional and he will track back and also work the channels. Benteke has a very good strike rate for us but when he hasn't scored he has put a good shift in and contributed in other ways like holding the ball up, always looking to be involved and linking up well with/bringing others into play.

I really don't know what the future holds for Bent with us especially now he may be out injured for some time. I do however think that for him to have a medium to long term future under Lambert he will have to adapt his game in terms of being more invovled and working harder. Adaptions to his game that at almost 29 I am not sure he will be willing or able to make.

Totally not what I have said but anyway.

First of all, how many times have I used words like 'thats not necessarily Darren's fault'? Quite a lot actually. So no, I dont blame the entire teams performance on him. What I do, do is point out that the success of the team is unaffected by Bents absence.

Secondly. No its not correct to judge goalkeepers on clean sheets and strikers purely on goals. However, Darren Bent leaves me no option but to do that with him, as he doesnt do anything else. He doesnt hold the ball up, he doesnt create chances, he doesn't track back, he doesn't bring players into play. He doesnt do anything. And thats why hes not been in the team simple as. And as for your pedantic attitude regards me saying hes a 20m pound signing (which he is and more no doubt), is he worth 18m? Haha, do me a favour. £15m player - nope! £12m max hes worth in a team that can use his limited game consistently. We cant.

Â