Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Yes I think they were unlucky against Wolves. They are winning tonight though and Bent scored from the spot. Funny thing is its so topsy turvey at the top that they could both make the automatic promotion places or miss out on the playoffs. I hope Bournemouth and Derby get promoted as I think they are the best footballing side in the division. If Derby do miss out i can see a lot of interest for Hughes. 

I said it at the time and i will say it again, to let Bent and Robinson to both go out on loan and bring in nobody to replace them was the act of a clueless idiot ie Lambert. Both these players are capable of putting the ball in the net,something we are in desperate need of 

• Like 2

Thats an incredibly simplistic view point when it comes to football. For Robinson to even be mentioned there is pretty lol. Im sure bent would have made such a difference in the united game.....

If football can be broken down to as something as simple as "Player X scores goals so he should start and not playing him makes manager a clueless idiot because we need goals"...why didnt EVERY single team in the bottom half try to sign him? Are they all clueless idiots aswell? They all need goals. Why didnt Fulham start him? they sure needed goals for when they got relegated

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 2

I said it at the time and i will say it again, to let Bent and Robinson to both go out on loan and bring in nobody to replace them was the act of a clueless idiot ie Lambert. Both these players are capable of putting the ball in the net,something we are in desperate need of 

Except Bent has shown he isn't capable of putting the ball in the net at this level anymore, and Robinson hasn't made a single appearance for us.

You've basically made that part up.

• Like 1

I'd rather have Heskey back than see Bent in a Villa shirt. I suspect his recent comments are nothing more than an attempt to drum up business come the summer, possibly even to provide leverage in a wage negotiation with a Championship side like Derby. It's all well and good sticking the boot into Lambert, what happens if he re-signs and still isn't getting picked by his mate Sherwood? Whose fault is it then? He'll be well aware of Sherwood's reputation for picking the squad on effort and determination (something he lacks in abundance), therefore I find it hard to believe he's going to settle for reduced wages only to be found out at this level all over again.

The two games i have watched Bent for Derby I have not been impressed. Yes he can take a good penalty but misses a lot more chances than he scores and he won't get as many chances in the Premier League. Derby are a very creative side with the brilliant young Hughes in the team. 

yep without going around in circles again. He has failed at Villa and Fulham and as it was Lambert fault he has also failed under Lambert, Jol, Meulenstein and Magath ;)

think Darren needs to start looking in the mirror

• Like 1

yep without going around in circles again. He has failed at Villa and Fulham and as it was Lambert fault he has also failed under Lambert, Jol, Meulenstein and Magath ;)

My question was about the statement that he isn't capable of putting the ball in the net anymore at this (premier league) level.

You've mentioned that you thought he failed at Villa under Lambert (although under the other Villa managers he did OK) and at Fulham.

Across the league games under Lambert and while at Fulham he played the equivalent of less than 24 league games (2123 minutes) and scored 6 league goals and got 2 assists.

I don't get the logic how from that we can then say he isn't capable of putting the ball in the net anymore!

Edited by Brumstopdogs
  • Like 1

Except Bent has shown he isn't capable of putting the ball in the net at this level anymore

Really?

Yes. Have you watched him play in the premier league over the past couple of seasons?

yep without going around in circles again. He has failed at Villa and Fulham and as it was Lambert fault he has also failed under Lambert, Jol, Meulenstein and Magath  ;)

My question was about the statement that he isn't capable of putting the ball in the net anymore at this (premier league) level.

You've mentioned that you thought he failed at Villa under Lambert (although under the other Villa managers he did OK) and at Fulham.

Across the league games under Lambert and while at Fulham he played the equivalent of less than 24 league games (2123 minutes) and scored 6 league goals and got 2 assists.

I don't get the logic how from that we can then say he isn't capable of putting the ball in the net anymore!

Why do you think he only played that many games?

Fulham were the worst team in the league yet he wasn't first choice.

3 goals in 24 games for them.

Why do you think no teams have signed him? Why do you think the only teams taking him on loan are Championship teams?

If he was capable of putting the ball in the net at this level do you not think someone like Burnley or Leicester would take him?

Edited by Stevo985

He's 31 now. I think the Darren Bent that we signed was like a pear; ripe for a very brief period. We overpaid massively and missed the opportunity to sign a player that could have taken us to another level. He's still on £80k a week now, I'd be surprised if he can find a quarter of that anywhere. I suspect his next destination will be in the US.

Bent played for 1239 minutes for a struggling Fulham side - the equivalent of less than 14 full games.

In less than the equivalent of 14 full games he scored 3 times and set up 2 goals.

I do not get the logic how that then means he is not able to put the ball in the net at this level anymore. 

Shame on Bent though for not being picked ahead of Berbatov! 

In less than the equivalent of 14 full games he scored 3 times and set up 2 goals.

Three goals in fourteen games? A record of a goal ever five or so games, for a player that doesn't really do much apart from wait around the penalty area for the ball to come in to him?

And somehow you think that this helps the point that you're trying to make?

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

So he can put the ball in the net then.  If he couldn't put the ball in the net then I would expect 0 goals in less than 14 games. 

If we pro rata that assuming he played the entire season it would be 8-9 goals in the worst team in the league. 

Â