Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Depends how much of his wages they were paying.

Would have been an option and would have preferred over Holt.

All of them plus a loan fee.

Shocking that we didn't use Bents wages to loan in some quality last season.  Lerner has really squeezed everything possible out of the club, I'm kinda shocked that he didn't sell Benteke.

Shocking that we didn't use Bents wages to loan in some quality last season. Lerner has really squeezed everything possible out of the club, I'm kinda shocked that he didn't sell Benteke.

I don't think he wants to upset Lambert, same with why Vlaar isn't being sold.

Shocking that we didn't use Bents wages to loan in some quality last season. Lerner has really squeezed everything possible out of the club, I'm kinda shocked that he didn't sell Benteke.

Which is why it made no sense to loan him out. What did freeing up those wages last summer help us to do?

there always has to be a 'i hate' bandwagon on these boards

Hate for Hutton has been temporarily postponed, most want to hate Senderos but it seems he's doing alright.

Ireland and Bannan aren't here anymore and Bennetts on loan.

So Gabby and Bent are the current whipping boys, despite the fact we are only two games in. 

I expect Zog will miss a few chances in coming weeks and the hate will come his way next.

Oh come on. Gabby has been average for months. Why should we accept such poor performances? 

Others on that list (Ireland, Bannan, Bennett) also added nothing.

Get a grip mate.

• Like 1

Hate for Hutton has been temporarily postponed, most want to hate Senderos but it seems he's doing alright.

So Gabby and Bent are the current whipping boys, despite the fact we are only two games in. 

I expect Zog will miss a few chances in coming weeks and the hate will come his way next.

Oh come on. Gabby has been average for months. Why should we accept such poor performances? 

Get a grip mate.

the season is two games old

take your own advice

Get a grip mate.

take your own advice

And Agbonlahor has been poor (with maybe three good games) for two years. 

Same for other players.

There is no 'bandwagon', it's your imagination. People are quite right to question why somebody on 60k per week cannot perform for the club he loves, or why others on MASSIVE wages are offering nothing to the team.

Bent - lacking pace, poor for two years now.

Agbonlahor - no goals, no effort, not improved since players worked out to stand off him to counter his pace.

Bannan - didn't offer goals or assists and his hollywood balls usually went for throw-ins.

Ireland - statue in the middie.

Fans are quite right to question the above when the club is paying them... what... 250k per week, one million each month!

I personally think Gabby didnt have a bad game at Newcastle and didn't get the abuse directed at him. Same goes for Bent who had no time to effect the game and had no supply line

I think the reason to sell Bent is because we haven't got the players that bring out the best in him, not because he's no good.

Since you brits bring it up.  The hardest thing for me to adjust to, in the BPL, is the fans.  In US sports, including pro-sports, fans virtually NEVER hate or vehemently criticize any player on the team, and rarely ever the coach.  It just doesn't happen.  If you hate your team and it's players and coach so badly, you just pick a new team.

I think the closest a pro team in the states came was the new orleans saints - NFL,  They did so horribly badly for so many years that the fans started to wear brown paper bags over their heads to games.  The fans were ashamed of their team.  But even then there was no rage or venom aimed at any player.  It's just not done.

Many British fans, or at least the on-line ones.  Appear to be different.  It's OK to loathe your own team's players.  It took me a long time to learn (and some sidebar discussions with a few of the most critical) to learn that the critical fans that seem to despise players on the team are motivated by wanting the team to do better.   In the states if you want the team to do better, you backing the players, hoping that confidence will help. When a receiver drops a pass he should have caught you yell, say, or post.  "he'll get it next time."  Not "oh, FFS, get him out of this club.  He'll never be good enough for this league."   Now, if a player leaves... then it's fair game to say "he was never any good anyway, glad to have somebody else is in there."  But never while he's still your player.  At least that's the reality in "the wrong birmingham."

• Like 3

Get a grip mate.

take your own advice

And Agbonlahor has been poor (with maybe three good games) for two years. 

Same for other players.

There is no 'bandwagon', it's your imagination. People are quite right to question why somebody on 60k per week cannot perform for the club he loves, or why others on MASSIVE wages are offering nothing to the team.

Bent - lacking pace, poor for two years now.

Agbonlahor - no goals, no effort, not improved since players worked out to stand off him to counter his pace.

Bannan - didn't offer goals or assists and his hollywood balls usually went for throw-ins.

Ireland - statue in the middie.

Fans are quite right to question the above when the club is paying them... what... 250k per week, one million each month!

Gabby has been poor but no poorer than anyone else, he's scored some important goals in the past, but I agree he ended the season badly and this close season he has been awful. Doesn't mean he is a bad player, just needs to be benched or kicked up the ass. He is Villa through and through though so i want him to recover and do well.

I've not seen enough of Bent since he came back to judge yet, the only way he'll get people of his back is to score some goals. But even know he's third choice so unlikely to get enough game time do that and when Tekkers and Kozak come back he'll be sent out to loan again probably. We lack a natural goalscorer, obviously I want Bent to be that player, but maybe that hope is blinding me.

I also believe that a strong defence and the likes of Sanchez and Richardson gives us the strength to accomodate a creative midfielder, such as Cole or Grealish and Zog. We couldn't carry players like that when Lambert first came, which made Ireland and Bannan look worse than they were, appreciate they aren't exactly good players but Lambert wanted defensive workhorses. Which is baffling that he's given so much backing to Westwood who somehow manages to do no specific midfield role well, doesn't mean he's a bad player though.

Edited by VillanousOne

Since you brits bring it up.  The hardest thing for me to adjust to, in the BPL, is the fans.  In US sports, including pro-sports, fans virtually NEVER hate or vehemently criticize any player on the team, and rarely ever the coach.  It just doesn't happen.  If you hate your team and it's players and coach so badly, you just pick a new team.

I think the closest a pro team in the states came was the new orleans saints - NFL,  They did so horribly badly for so many years that the fans started to wear brown paper bags over their heads to games.  The fans were ashamed of their team.  But even then there was no rage or venom aimed at any player.  It's just not done.

Many British fans, or at least the on-line ones.  Appear to be different.  It's OK to loathe your own team's players.  It took me a long time to learn (and some sidebar discussions with a few of the most critical) to learn that the critical fans that seem to despise players on the team are motivated by wanting the team to do better.   In the states if you want the team to do better, you backing the players, hoping that confidence will help. When a receiver drops a pass he should have caught you yell, say, or post.  "he'll get it next time."  Not "oh, FFS, get him out of this club.  He'll never be good enough for this league."   Now, if a player leaves... then it's fair game to say "he was never any good anyway, glad to have somebody else is in there."  But never while he's still your player.  At least that's the reality in "the wrong birmingham."

thats a load of cobblers. I remember reading Cleveland Browns forums and they hated Lerner and their coach at the time. 

This happens everywhere.

• Like 3

Since you brits bring it up. The hardest thing for me to adjust to, in the BPL, is the fans. In US sports, including pro-sports, fans virtually NEVER hate or vehemently criticize any player on the team, and rarely ever the coach. It just doesn't happen. If you hate your team and it's players and coach so badly, you just pick a new team.

I think the closest a pro team in the states came was the new orleans saints - NFL, They did so horribly badly for so many years that the fans started to wear brown paper bags over their heads to games. The fans were ashamed of their team. But even then there was no rage or venom aimed at any player. It's just not done.

Many British fans, or at least the on-line ones. Appear to be different. It's OK to loathe your own team's players. It took me a long time to learn (and some sidebar discussions with a few of the most critical) to learn that the critical fans that seem to despise players on the team are motivated by wanting the team to do better. In the states if you want the team to do better, you backing the players, hoping that confidence will help. When a receiver drops a pass he should have caught you yell, say, or post. "he'll get it next time." Not "oh, FFS, get him out of this club. He'll never be good enough for this league." Now, if a player leaves... then it's fair game to say "he was never any good anyway, glad to have somebody else is in there." But never while he's still your player. At least that's the reality in "the wrong birmingham."

I think fans do tend to find a scapegoat that can do nothing right unless becomes the best player on the pitch every week.

Examples are Hutton, Petrov, Bannan, and the latest one is Gabby.

Sweeping generalisation here, but US sport feels more akin to going to the cinema or watching a show than the way football is viewed here; a way of life to many. Watched the Yankees when I was in New York and people would disappear for 20 minutes at a time to get nachos, beer and what not it just feels like a completely different atmosphere, like if they win they're happy but if they lose it's almost like oh well it was a good day out.

Those who think I'm full of crap.... you have to realize I'm using generalizations.   You can find exceptions to every rule.  You can find VT posters that will support the club and every player, regardless of performance. 

I'm just stating a fact.  When I show villa talk comments to U.S sports fans, they are appalled.   Sports fans from the wrong birmingham think ya'll are hostile, angry, and hate your club.  They do not understand.  I have had to learn to understand.  

Gabby should not start is the most critical thing I can feel comfortable saying.  Clearly, if you read the pages above you will see many more critical comments than that.

BTW, penguin.  you're right about baseball.  it's very different.  it's much slower, so wandering away for awhile to the concessions is very common.  I would imagine the same is true for cricket?

Actually Villa and fans of other PL teams are  imo no way near as hostile or critical as fans of many other clubs in say Turkey, Greece, Italy, Brazil, Argentina, Croatia, Serbia...

Sports and Football in the US is a whole diffrent ballgame (double entendre) with no relegation, almost no away fans, moving of franchises from town to town, the draft system and a million other things. 

No doubt many US fans will find the fan culture about "soccer" strange and possibly hostile, just as i find it strange to see a people wearing a NY-Yankeys cap or other sportsclothing just because it's in fashion without actually supporting the team.

• Like 2

I dont think we have the necessary supply line to accommodate Bent. I also feel that he is not a team player. He's a bit of a passenger and his work rate is very poor. In short, we cant afford to carry a passenger in the team. I think he would have been sold in this window had we found anyone willing to buy him.

Fixed that one for you.

I can see why some wants to give him a chance instead of Gabby, or Weimann for that matter. They've not started that great this season and they weren't much better last season. But I fear that even how bad they are, they're still better than Bent is now. Bent used to be a good poacher a few years ago. Today it's quite clear he can't be a**ed so I doubt he'll be good enough for the PL again. Shame.

Since you brits bring it up. The hardest thing for me to adjust to, in the BPL, is the fans. In US sports, including pro-sports, fans virtually NEVER hate or vehemently criticize any player on the team, and rarely ever the coach. It just doesn't happen. If you hate your team and it's players and coach so badly, you just pick a new team.

I think the closest a pro team in the states came was the new orleans saints - NFL, They did so horribly badly for so many years that the fans started to wear brown paper bags over their heads to games. The fans were ashamed of their team. But even then there was no rage or venom aimed at any player. It's just not done.

Many British fans, or at least the on-line ones. Appear to be different. It's OK to loathe your own team's players. It took me a long time to learn (and some sidebar discussions with a few of the most critical) to learn that the critical fans that seem to despise players on the team are motivated by wanting the team to do better. In the states if you want the team to do better, you backing the players, hoping that confidence will help. When a receiver drops a pass he should have caught you yell, say, or post. "he'll get it next time." Not "oh, FFS, get him out of this club. He'll never be good enough for this league." Now, if a player leaves... then it's fair game to say "he was never any good anyway, glad to have somebody else is in there." But never while he's still your player. At least that's the reality in "the wrong birmingham."

Sweeping generalisation here, but US sport feels more akin to going to the cinema or watching a show than the way football is viewed here; a way of life to many. Watched the Yankees when I was in New York and people would disappear for 20 minutes at a time to get nachos, beer and what not it just feels like a completely different atmosphere, like if they win they're happy but if they lose it's almost like oh well it was a good day out.
If it was just in their pro sports where they play zillion regular season games before playoffs where half of the teams get anyway, no relegation, there might be a theory that it's just always that important. But in US college sports, where every game is very important, and fans are generally very passionate, they are also generally very supportive.

Personally, I like the British way (not being British myself, btw). Apploud when it's due, but nothing wrong with some criticism. I can't claim knowing anything about German football, but I went to a hertha Berlin game last year. Fans were singing throughout the game even though they played badly and lost. Seemed odd to me. Some seem to think that's great football culture, personally I prefer the British way. Ups and downs on the pitch, ups and downs among fans.

Edited by bojong
  • Like 1

Â