Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Yeah I think it's easy to make excuses for him.  I always found a lot used to do that for Angel too much as well.  I think Bent at this point in his career is a pretty poor premiership player but given our lack of options I think it would be smart to give a natural goal scorer another chance.

Tough call who to play up top when Benteke and Kozak are out.

I honestly can't stand it when Weimann is in the team, I know the lad runs and works hard, but he has a poor touch, can't beat a defender and I'm just sick and tired of the relentless, wild row Z shots. I also think we need 2 strikers on, so until Tekkers is back it's DB and Gabby for me.

Interesting that Bent himself says that Weimann is the most natural goal scorer in the squad.

Anyway, Bent's strength isn't being a natural goal scorer, but to be in the right place at the right time. He's there when the ball is in front of the open net. And that's some strength to have. When you're interested. Whenever I've seen Bent, for us or fulham, he really hasn't looked interested at all. I think he's finished at top level.

Weimann had a bad season, but the season before the last one he was quite good. Had the best movement without the ball created and scored a fair few goals too. Let's hope he can regain that form, 'cause I don't think Bent will regain his.

DB is a great finisher, a six yard killer and poacher, he will not run the line, chase, harass or beat defenders over 10 yards, with that in mind he is the second striker, he should play along side CB or LK, He is not a lone striker and never has been, I want him if played to stay in the box and not run the channels, let AW or Gabs do that. I would rather he stayed in the middle and do what he does best like scoring goals.

• Like 3

DB is a great finisher, a six yard killer and poacher, he will not run the line, chase, harass or beat defenders over 10 yards, with that in mind he is the second striker, he should play along side CB or LK, He is not a lone striker and never has been, I want him if played to stay in the box and not run the channels, let AW or Gabs do that. I would rather he stayed in the middle and do what he does best like scoring goals.

Bent is not a lone striker?

He scored most of his goals at Charlton and Sunderland...when he was played as a lone striker though.

We don't the two top midfielders the  to play 2 up top.

He's not that great a finisher. He's missed more than his fair share of sitters.

His record throughout his career shows he's a top finisher. 

Think I'd agree to disagree on this one. His strength is being in the right place at the right time which I'm sure his stats are very good for. Once he has found his opportunity, I think he is somewhat profligate. Not sure how you'd define a stat based on sitters missed though as it's a bit subjective but if such a stat did exist, my feeling is that his stats for converting clear cut chances would not be anywhere near as high as his stat for creating clear cut chances for himself.

• Like 1

Bent is not a lone striker?

He scored most of his goals at Charlton and Sunderland...when he was played as a lone striker though.

We don't the two top midfielders the  to play 2 up top.

Yes he did but not with out a good midfield laying them on a plate for him. They were all about counter atacking through the midfield and the atack normally ended with a ball through to him. He was not a conventional lone striker expected to hold the ball up and hold off defenders.

Wonder if there's any truth to the rumour that the failure to land bent led to pullis leaving

I had this in the back of my mind when those photos of DB in London emerged. It just seems too coincidental though.

A pretty contrived rumour.

He's not that great a finisher. He's missed more than his fair share of sitters.

Think I'd agree to disagree on this one. His strength is being in the right place at the right time which I'm sure his stats are very good for. Once he has found his opportunity, I think he is somewhat profligate. Not sure how you'd define a stat based on sitters missed though as it's a bit subjective but if such a stat did exist, my feeling is that his stats for converting clear cut chances would not be anywhere near as high as his stat for creating clear cut chances for himself.

What a very strange way to look at it. A goal scoring record is based on what it says - goals scored.

What a very strange way to look at it. A goal scoring record is based on what it says - goals scored.

I think it's spot on - he's no better a finisher than Gabby, but he'd got really good instinctive movement in the box - he'd find pockets of space and he'd anticipate things very well - but his finishing isn't special in my opinion - his ability to sniff out a chance and be in the right place was what made him a useful player.

Â