Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

I hope we don't live to regret losing one of the best goal scorers we've had for the sake of getting his wages of the wage bill or not being able to incorporate him into our system?

Depends what you see as the biggest inconvenience.

Getting rid of one player who doesn't fit into our system.

Or completely changing our system to incorporate one player.

As much as I like Bent and think he's a very good player, I think the first option is really the most sensible.

What if we want to change that system though?

We all know Lambert likes to tinker depending on the opposition and i don't necessarily agree that we would have to completely change our system to incorporate Bent.

The 'For Sale' sign around Bent may also be for reasons other than football but i guess we'll have to read Bent's memoir to find out why he has been harshly isolated.

Suppose it could be to do with the 6 transfer requests that Gabby referred to the other day.
What tweet is that and what transfer requests? Not on twitter!

Not saying that the poster is wrong but i'd like to see evidence of that.
He deleted the tweet afterwards but it was discussed in the Gabby thread. I favourited the tweet so can still see it after deletion, will try screenshot it.

He basically said people are moaning about somebody wanting to leave (assuming Benteke) but same people are saying somebody who handed in 6 transfer requests has been treated badly/unfairly (assuming Bent). Then he deleted it.

Edited by samjp26

Seems both newcastle and Fulham may be in for him this week according to reports - £5m is the minimum we should expect and to be honest wherever he goes i expect him to bag 15-20 goals next season.

Gabby hate Bent going by his tweets over the last year, at one point he didn't shut up about him.

Can he leave and jsut get his wages off the payroll please.

Perfectly fine striker good at what he does, but doesn't fit our system..

Agree with this, I'll hold my hands up I was wrong about this player, he's very good at putting the ball in the back of the net, that is all

I wonder if we're just waiting for him to leave and the 6m and his 60k wages will go towards an attacking midfielder.

I hope so as I don't believe we have to replace him directly....not with Benteke staying and Gabby, Weimann and Helenius all as striker options. Albighton, Tonev and Bowery also as squad options.

So think that's enough to get us through to January upfront.

I think now we've nailed down Benteke to a new contract, the club will concentrate (for the time being) on some departures, ie- Bent, Ireland, Hutton, Given and Bannan.

Then I expect us to pick up one, possibly two more signings - definately a tricky AMC/Winger and maybe another defender.

Good luck to Bent - he hasn't publically moaned or slated the club (who knows how disruptive he's been behind the scenes) and wish him well.

I wish him well also.

A player of his proven premier league pedigree shouldn't be training with the kids imo. Inevitable he'll score against us.

The case of the right player at the wrong time who should've been signed 18 months- 2 years earlier than he was.

I wish him well also.

A player of his proven premier league pedigree shouldn't be training with the kids imo. Inevitable he'll score against us.

The case of the right player at the wrong time who should've been signed 18 months- 2 years earlier than he was.

Agreed, especially the last part

I wonder if Spurs would've sold him in January 2009. That was the month of the infamous Redknapp my missus would've scored that comment. They also re-signed Keane and Defoe that month. It would've been a big statement of intent, Arsenal signed Arshavin that window after all, we signed Heskey....

And he went to Sunderland for about 10m that summer so it's not as if Spurs were asking for a ridiculous amount. A major error of the MON managerial reign. I just thought it was an obvious target for him to pursue. Hindsight is easy but if I knew what a turncoat Downing would turn out to be, I wouldn't have even signed him (especially as he was injured until December that season anyway) and spent the money on Bent instead.

Gabby........Milner.,......Petrov........Young

Bent.........Carew

Good enough for top 4? Gabby could be up top aswell as we played Milner wide right until Downing was fit.

Wouldn't be surprised if Sunderland get a cut of any deal. There was lots of add on's in the deal to bring DB9 here.

As above post touched on, we signed him 2 seasons too late.

He'll be a bargain for someone at £5m I think

I assume we still have to pay Blunderland all the add ons even though some might not be activated?

Wouldn't have thought so. If we didn't activate the clauses, then we don't have to pay surely?

His goals kept us up and then we got rid of his supply line.

When he first signed for us, every goal that Darren Bent scored from open play between the January and May was created by either Ashley Young, Stewart Downing or Kyle Walker. All three of those were then gone and were not replaced efficiently.

Bent needs service. Give him service and he'll deliver the goals. In his first full season he scored 10 goals in 25 games. Not too bad considering the circumstances! 

It's a shame that it hasn't worked out with him since Lambert became manager. That's football though I suppose. Plus, there is bound to be more to it than what is public knowledge. 

If, as expected, he goes, then I'd rather see him sold to Fulham than Newcastle. 

25 goals in 64 appearances for us and not all of those were starts either. That's still not a bad goalscoring record. 

Cheers, Darren. All the best! 

I assume we still have to pay Blunderland all the add ons even though some might not be activated?

No. I believe the add-ons were linked to the success of our club and therefore the only add-on paid was for staying up after we'd signed him in the January. I think the total transfer cost we'll have paid for Bent will be around £19m; certainly not the £24m that the media always quote (I think we'd have had to qualify for the CL to get near that).

Gabby hate Bent going by his tweets over the last year, at one point he didn't shut up about him.

Gabby hates Bent? Have I missed something?

Wish Bent well, without him we'd have been relegated under both Houllier and McLeish, and to me that makes him worth the money we spent.

Gabby hates Bent? Have I missed something?

Wish Bent well, without him we'd have been relegated under both Houllier and McLeish, and to me that makes him worth the money we spent.

Yup just read tweets, unless he's deleted them.

Â