Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Martinez.

Just I like him as a manager, his personality and everything about him.

Yeah i like the way he comes across in interviews aswell. Speaks alot of sense and he always remains positive, even after defeat. Seems to have a very good relationship with the fans wherever hes gone aswell. Not to mention he has signed some absolute gems for Wigan

if there's even the remotest hope of getting carlo ancelotti then there's no-one else even close as far as i'm concerned. he's won everything as a player and as a manager in club football, would be a major draw for great players to come to us etc.

i just can't see him coming unfortunately :(

The thing with football management though, is that - give or take an Alex Ferguson - almost any manager could succeed or fail at almost any club.

We could appoint an outsider who could just click and turn out to be the next Ron Saunders. Or we could appoint someone with a peerless track record who could crash and burn.

I've come to the conclusion that there's little point in wanting - or not wanting - a particular name (fun though it is to speculate). We'll get who we get, and see what happens next.

Hughes for me, don't think he's put a foot wrong so far in his managerial career, has experience and multiple top flight clubs but most of all he's a winner and a bit of a bastard and I think that's just what we need. Just fits the club better than the other options.

Please be Moyes. Would rather Lambert or Rafa than Hughes, I don't get all the love for Hughes, I'd feel underwhelmed. Did quite well at Blackburn, had a good half a season at Fulham, and didn't do all that well with City, seen as he spent a shed load in the time he was there.

I've come to the conclusion that there's little point in wanting - or not wanting - a particular name (fun though it is to speculate). We'll get who we get, and see what happens next.

this

we dont know what these guys say in interviews, who their targets are, what style they'll want to play, what players they'll want to get rid of and bring in

an unknown could do as good a job as a decorated manager. the behind the scenes stuff really dictates that and its something we'll never be privvy to

The thing with football management though, is that - give or take an Alex Ferguson - almost any manager could succeed or fail at almost any club.

We could appoint an outsider who could just click and turn out to be the next Ron Saunders. Or we could appoint someone with a peerless track record who could crash and burn.

Couldn't have put it better myself

I agree, but I signed X on FM and he helped me win all competitions :winkold:

Seriously, you are right. It is so hard because a manager could just fit everything in place so easily, nobody gave JG a chance and he did pretty well. Where-as GH looked like a decent choice, it is such a hard decision.

Martinez always comes across as a nice guy and his teams play good football but I can't see him attracting the top players we need to make the difference. From that list, in order of preference:

Rijkaard

Ancellotti (with Wilkins ideally)

Hughes

Jol

Moyes

Although Moyes is definitely my favourite, maybe having a foreign coach will make a refreshing and much needed change? Before Houllier, we've been going british since I can remember. This resulted in over expensive UK based transfers and some dodgy foreign signings.

Please be Moyes. Would rather Lambert or Rafa than Hughes, I don't get all the love for Hughes, I'd feel underwhelmed. Did quite well at Blackburn, had a good half a season at Fulham, and didn't do all that well with City, seen as he spent a shed load in the time he was there.

Are you merging Hodgson & Hughes into one? Surely the fact you think he was at Liverpool means you cannot make an informed opinion on his suitability?

Wow VillaRoy, you edited that quickly!!!!

Hughes for me, don't think he's put a foot wrong so far in his managerial career, has experience and multiple top flight clubs but most of all he's a winner and a bit of a bastard and I think that's just what we need. Just fits the club better than the other options.

He's been solid if unspectacular.

Why would anyone want Hughes? He's average. There won't be any exciting names, results or development under him. We won't progress. He'll just keep us between 8th-10th doing nothing worthwhile at all.

Benitez will want the job and will apply.

I think you may be right and it would be very interesting to hear his pitch for the job if that is indeed true.

I grew to dislike the man intently during his pursuit of Gareth Barry but, removing past prejudice, I must admit I'm curious by the number of comments made by Liverpool fans that still believe in his abilities as a manager despite the way they fell off the pace so drastically during his last season with them. Clearly, his overall record with Liverpool and Valencia is very good and should not be underestimated but I would be slightly nervous about his history in the transfer market (especially the turnover rate of incoming/outgoing players at Liverpool) and the unfortunate precedent set by Houllier here as a fellow ex-Liverpool boss that will invite uncomfortable parallels should he not get off to a great start.

It's entirely possible that having had a bad time at Inter Milan, he may feel slightly humbled and is eager to rebuild his reputation back here in the Premier League. He could continue to implement some of the better initiatives introduced by Houllier and would bring a similarly broad knowledge of the game across the continent that some of the other contenders may not be able to boast. I would expect him to organise/overhaul our fractured defensive line which was our major downfall last season - his teams have always been very solid defensively. He also knows how to build a team around a goalscorer (Torres played his best football under him) so he would likely set us up to play to Bent's strengths.

I believe he's made comments in the press about looking to secure a role at a club where he can play a more active role in the development of younger players which would tie in with Lerner's vision, and it would interesting to hear more from him on how he views the Villa job and what he thinks he could deliver for us (which, unfortunately, I doubt we'll get to hear unless he is announced as the new boss). I'm by no means sold on the notion but the idea of Benitez has its merits and is worth considering.

Hello ..

Who should be Houllier's successor (when his exit is officially confirmed of course)? Vote on the Birmingham Mail poll

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2011/05/31/aston-villa-who-should-replace-gerard-houllier-97319-28793396/

I voted for Martinez. I think he would do a great job here if we gave him the money. Same goes for Moyes. Either of these two i would be happy. Anybody else on that list i certainlky dont want, including Ancelotti.

Exactly .. that's my opinion too .. ^^

Are you merging Hodgson & Hughes into one? Surely the fact you think he was at Liverpool means you cannot make an informed opinion on his suitability?

Wow VillaRoy, you edited that quickly!!!!

There's absolutely nothing in his post to suggest he thinks Hughes was at Liverpool ? :?

Whoever they appoint, even if it's someone I'm less than enthusiastic about, and even if they start off with a string of poor results, I WON'T be joining in with any of the foaming-at-the-mouth venom that has been directed at GH on here virtually from Day One.

EDIT: Unless it's Trevor Francis.

David Moyes would be my first choice as a talented young British manager, but I would be happy with any of Hughes, Jol, Ancelotti or Benitez.

I wouldn't want an outside bet like Deschamps or Bradley, I'd prefer a solid appointment with plenty of English Premier League and transfer market experience.

Although I always liked O'Neill as manager, his policy of marginalising the fringe players and slow movement in the market frustrated me like so many others. Houllier certainly had better contacts in the market, and whilst we tried to play good football under Gerard, all season I felt we were getting some basics of set piece attacking and defending, amongst other things, wrong.

The new manager has got to be someone who can work with the market and put his stamp on the squad quickly. The fans will want an immediate improvement on 9th, of course no mean feat in the PL of today. I wonder what this week will mean for Young/Downing? Will the club just be reluctant to talk to potential buyers without a manager in place?