Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

% of foreign failures - 100%

% of British failures - less than 100%

Children, gather round. Are we comfortable? Excellent. Now today, we will be learning how statistics can be used to reach utterly absurd conclusions (in this case, see the above).

In the finest traditions of overtly-PC maths books, I shall be using racially diverse children for this exercise:

Patel has bought some apples from Dieter. He has bought 25 in total, 2 of them are Granny Smith and 23 of them are Red Delicious. Upon eating them, Patel has found that both the Granny Smith apples are rotten. Taken as a percentage, this is 100%. Upon eating the Red Delicious, Patel found that 9 of them were rotten, but the rest were okay. Rounded and taken as a percentage, this is 39%.

Patel goes home to his mixed-race parents, Sadhna and Jonsi. He tells them that he doesn't like Granny Smith apples because they are always bad, and he will only eat Red Delicious because they are good most of the time. His parents (who are both maths lecturers) grounded him for a week for being a moron, enlightening him that you cannot accurately compare the percentages of two sets of data if the amount of data captured for each set is vastly different.

Class dismissed.

Epilogue: Once Patel had finished his punishment, he went back to Dieter and gave him a revenge wedgie for selling him rotten apples.

Children, gather round. Are we comfortable? Excellent. Now today, we will be learning how statistics can be used to reach utterly absurd conclusions (in this case, see the above).

In the finest traditions of overtly-PC maths books, I shall be using racially diverse children for this exercise:

Patel has bought some apples from Dieter. He has bought 25 in total, 2 of them are Granny Smith and 23 of them are Red Delicious. Upon eating them, Patel has found that both the Granny Smith apples are rotten. Taken as a percentage, this is 100%. Upon eating the Red Delicious, Patel found that 9 of them were rotten, but the rest were okay. Rounded and taken as a percentage, this is 39%.

Patel goes home to his mixed-race parents, Sadhna and Jonsi. He tells them that he doesn't like Granny Smith apples because they are always bad, and he will only eat Red Delicious because they are good most of the time. His parents (who are both maths lecturers) grounded him for a week for being a moron, enlightening him that you cannot accurately compare the percentages of two sets of data if the amount of data captured for each set is vastly different.

Class dismissed.

Epilogue: Once Patel had finished his punishment, he went back to Dieter and gave him a revenge wedgie for selling him rotten apples.

Put far more humourously than I did :D:clap:

Class dismissed.

:lol::lol:

Class dismissed.

:clap::crylaugh:

Very well said.

Class dismissed.

You never disappoint me! Bravo! :clap::D

Class dismissed.

you've put smile on my face, again. cheers

There are more Wenger type managers out there, you just have to find them..And the Arsenal way, is the ONLY WAY we are ever going to rule Europe again...

If Arsenal can't rule Europe doing things the Arsenal way, what chance have we got?

Every chance..

Wenger has taken Arsenal repeatedly into the CL,season upon season..Yet with very little net spend over his tenure at the club..

Add a manager to Villa in a similar frame to Wenger, yet WITH funding and it could yeild a decent possition for us on the European stage.

I admit I was being a slightly flippant there but Wenger has turned Arsenal into the perennial bridesmaids of both the Premier League and the Champions League. And whilst you may talk about their net spend - and the national media have been fairly critical of Wenger's apparent reluctance to spend money in recent times - they still have vast resources and have spent a lot of money on both transfer fees and wages. The fact that Wenger has taken them to the Champions League every season is the bare minimum of what is expected of him.

Bigger picture - I can see where you're coming from and recognise the virtue in changing the club's philosophy from the ground upwards. But I think the only way to do this with the realistic options availale to us would be gambling on somebody like Roberto Martinez - it wouldn't be a Deschamps or a Rijkaard because I just don't believe they would entertain the idea at present (again, I'll happily stand corrected if proven otherwise).

This is not an idea without merit - from what I understand of Martinez' techniques, everything about his coaching is about ball retention and technical ability. He is apparently known to be very lenient with his players who get caught out on the pitch if it has been in an attempt to play the game the way he wants it to be played. That he has put such methods into effect at a club like Wigan AND managed to keep them in the Premier League is a minor miracle and it would indeed be interesting to see what he could do at a bigger club with a better playing squad.

Unfortunately, he won't be afforded anywhere near the same degree of latitude that he enjoys at Wigan where their agenda and expectations are very different to a club like Villa so I can't help but feel that the pressure to make such an approach work in a very short time period would likely prove insurmountable. Patience is not something the modern football fan has in abundance - and Villa fans especially - so that kind of an appointment does represent a huge risk. If we ultimately want to develop a side that plays the Arsenal way - or the Barcelona way if we actually want to win something - this is where we'd probably have to start looking but we would have to be prepared for a long, slow climb to where we want to get to and the fact is that the more established likes of Hughes or Moyes would have us competing a lot nearer to that level much quicker, even if they are unable to take us all the way. And I think Mr. Lerner is almost certainly going to play things safe right now and go for the man who is most likely to get us back among the top six before contemplating anything else.

And if that is the case, I have to say I would still agree with him.

**** it I've dropped a fiver on Jurgen der German at 50/1. Gotta pop an outsider in the mix innit!

Would love Moyes, and not just cos I'll net a few quid if we get him. Think it's Sparky's to turn down tho tbh, and I'd not be unhappy with him.

There are more Wenger type managers out there, you just have to find them..And the Arsenal way, is the ONLY WAY we are ever going to rule Europe again...

If Arsenal can't rule Europe doing things the Arsenal way, what chance have we got?

Every chance..

Wenger has taken Arsenal repeatedly into the CL,season upon season..Yet with very little net spend over his tenure at the club..

Add a manager to Villa in a similar frame to Wenger, yet WITH funding and it could yeild a decent possition for us on the European stage.

Bigger picture - I can see where you're coming from and recognise the virtue in changing the club's philosophy from the ground upwards. But I think the only way to do this with the realistic options availale to us would be gambling on somebody like Roberto Martinez - it wouldn't be a Deschamps or a Rijkaard because I just don't believe they would entertain the idea at present (again, I'll happily stand corrected if proven otherwise).

This is not an idea without merit - from what I understand of Martinez' techniques, everything about his coaching is about ball retention and technical ability. He is apparently known to be very lenient with his players who get caught out on the pitch if it has been in an attempt to play the game the way he wants it to be played. That he has put such methods into effect at a club like Wigan AND managed to keep them in the Premier League is a minor miracle and it would indeed be interesting to see what he could do at a bigger club with a better playing squad.

Unfortunately, he won't be afforded anywhere near the same degree of latitude that he enjoys at Wigan where their agenda and expectations are very different to a club like Villa so I can't help but feel that the pressure to make such an approach work in a very short time period would likely prove insurmountable. Patience is not something the modern football fan has in abundance - and Villa fans especially - so that kind of an appointment does represent a huge risk. If we ultimately want to develop a side that plays the Arsenal way - or the Barcelona way if we actually want to win something - this is where we'd probably have to start looking but we would have to be prepared for a long, slow climb to where we want to get to and the fact is that the more established likes of Hughes or Moyes would have us competing a lot nearer to that level much quicker, even if they are unable to take us all the way. And I think Mr. Lerner is almost certainly going to play things safe right now and go for the man who is most likely to get us back among the top six before contemplating anything else.

Martinez may well play a nice style of football, with ball retention as his main philosophy...But we need more than that.. We need a manager with the pull and knowledge of the game on a wider scope..Not just a tactical brain..

I cant see why you assume it would take years to achieve..

Seriously if we were to appoint Deschamps in the next couple of weeks, I would think the following;

*Duverne would stay..Which is good for the kids and existing squad,as its a face and fitness training program they have all now become acustomed to.

*Makoun "may" be player he would build his midfield around, he is leader type player and Deschamps would have seen alot of him in the French league.

*He would target and bring in some decent players from Marseille(most managers tend to sign 1 or 2 of their own)..

*The style of keeping possession that Houllier has started would most likely continue. There is also talk that if Houllier does go, he could stick around in an advisory role.

*He knows whats needed to beat the big sides..He understands the pace of the game. He spent time as a player at Chlesea..And has come against Manchester United in the CL..

*The pull he has to attract players is massive.. Martinez dosnt come close. I would say his knowledge of future decent players on the continent is also pretty good.

*Marseille hadnt won a title in 18 years, he has practically re-built them into a very decent team..It wasnt a long slow climb for them/neither was it expensive..

No comparison Martinez to Deschamps....

I agree with you though...Its unlikely the board will try this. Its not something they would know about.. Now if Houllier had a say in the next manager appointment, things may be differant..

Every chance..

Martinez may well play a nice style of football, with ball retention as his main philosophy...But we need more than that.. We need a manager with the pull and knowledge of the game on a wider scope..Not just a tactical brain..

I cant see why you assume it would take years to achieve..

Seriously if we were to appoint Deschamps in the next couple of weeks, I would think the following;

*Duverne would stay..Which is good for the kids and existing squad,as its a face and fitness training program they have all now become acustomed to.

*Makoun "may" be player he would build his midfield around, he is leader type player and Deschamps would have seen alot of him in the French league.

*He would target and bring in some decent players from Marseille(most managers tend to sign 1 or 2 of their own)..

*The style of keeping possession that Houllier has started would most likely continue. There is also talk that if Houllier does go, he could stick around in an advisory role.

*He knows whats needed to beat the big sides..He understands the pace of the game. He spent time as a player at Chlesea..And has come against Manchester United in the CL..

*The pull he has to attract players is massive.. Martinez dosnt come close. I would say his knowledge of future decent players on the continent is also pretty good.

*Marseille hadnt won a title in 18 years, he has practically re-built them into a very decent team..It wasnt a long slow climb for them/neither was it expensive..

No comparison Martinez to Deschamps....

I agree with you though...Its unlikely the board will try this. Its not something they would know about.. Now if Houllier had a say in the next manager appointment, things may be differant..

With respect, I think what you fail to grasp is that we just can't get Deschamps or his like. It's not just that the board will likely look elsewhere, they wouldn't be able to attract Deschamps as of right now even if they wanted to.

Of course Martinez isn't in his league - I was simply demonstarting what the most feasible option would be if we wanted to pursue such a continental approach because we aren't going to be attracting Deschamps.

All of what you say sounds great in theory - it just isn't going to happen I'm afraid.