Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

I would be surprised if the club didn't listen to fans opinions on this one after going so left field with GH.

RL will look for the best candidate regardless of whether they are out of work or not. The reason we went for an out of work manager last time was because it was 5 days before the start of the season and it would have looked terrible on us to knacker another team so close to the beginning of the campaign.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sky Sports webby saying we're dismissing Houllier stepping down this week whereas BBC saying he will be.

I wish the club would just come out and put us out our misery.

"The club doesn't do it's business in the media".

Lets just wait till the club have sorted it out professionally and are then in a position to make a statement :)

I'll tell you what Sky are really pissed at not knowing about this story so what they're doing is downplaying it because Villa have refused to comment on it, as they can't as Gerard will be leaving once everything is agreed.

Good post Alec. Would you say, if getable, Ancelloti would fit into the category you are suggesting?

Cheers mate.

Ancelloti is an interesting one. My gut instinct is that if it's possible, we should try and get him, provided he brings Ray Wilkins (or a similarly accomplished no. 2). It would be a bit of a gamble because despite his pedigree and track record - which is beyond question - taking over a club of Villa's size and current status would be something of an unknown quantity. He is used to working with established internationals throughout his squads and translating his methods, tactical acumen and intelligence to a group of lesser players could be problematic. We could end up with a similar situation to the one we witnessed under Houllier if things didn't quite click. Any manager taking over here is also going to have to work closely with the youth and reserve teams as Lerner has made it clear that we have to balance the integration of young players with expensive signings, and this is not something that Ancelloti has had to factor in his most prominent roles. (Moyes would probably be the best choice in this regard.)

I would also be concerned over the realistic longevity of his stay at the club. Ancelloti is a coveted figure throughout Europe and would be linked with any and all significant openings that arise from day one onwards. He will have no personal affiliation with Aston Villa that would keep him rooted here and unless soemthing unforseen were to happen that suddenly transformed us into genuine contenders, the club would not have the 'pull' that an AC Milan or, as much as it pains me to say it, Chelsea do at present. All of which means that we would be looking at further upheaval somewhere down the line - and my best guess would be that wouldn't be any more than two seasons away.

Also, whilst he says he loves England and wants to stay here - and on that basis I imagine we are as highly placed as any club with a vacancy - I have to wonder if by England he really means London.

Having said all of that, the prospect of tangible success (ie. getting closer to fourth and taking a domestic cup) could well be enhanced by having him in charge - and for that reason alone I would probably be inclined to go for it. But I think we would have to have our eyes open and take the appointment for what it would likely be - a gamble that success can be achieved in the relatively short period he would likely be with us that could then pave the way for somebody else to take over a year or two later when hopefully we would be in a better position. This would not be a terrible scenario - after all, we all talk about the importance of the future and the long-term potential of any appointment but the reality is that most Premier League managers don't remain in their jobs beyond two or three seasons anyway.

But in terms of the possible candidates being touted, I'm not sure that he would necessarily 'fit' the club and I would think it is still more likely that a Mark Hughes or a David Moyes would be the preferred option by the board.

I wish the club would just come out and put us out our misery.

I'm sure they will once they've finalised it. I imagine this is the media getting a little ahead of themselves and tripping up over tenses and semantics in the process. Not long now.

Mods... if GH does indeed go, can we have a new poll on who we think will get the job? The above poll has been around for some time now, I'd be interested to know who everyone wants now.

I'll tell you what Sky are really pissed at not knowing about this story so what they're doing is downplaying it because Villa have refused to comment on it, as they can't as Gerard will be leaving once everything is agreed.

Exactly, Local journo gets the scoop. Villa announce it the next day. Everyones happy.

Except SSN.

shame.

Exactly, Local journo gets the scoop. Villa announce it the next day. Everyones happy.

Except SSN.

shame.

Sky in "It's not news because it's not our news" shocker. Typical behaviour from them.

Deschamps;

*Very good player for Chelsea.

*Will already know Duverne and maybe Makoun.

*Can Continue where Houllier has left off, with possession football.

*He is Young, ambitious and plays good style of football.

*Gave Man United a very close game in the CL for Marseille.

*Taken Marseille to the ligue 1 title for the 1st time in 18 yrs.

*Has also had a good spell in Italy with Juventus.

*Also won 3 domestic trophies in France with Marseille in his 2 seasons at the club.

*The Premiership becons him.

*He is well respected all over the world and could attract decent players to the club.

*Aston Villa would certainly be a club where this man can make his mark as a top manager..He could build a legacy with us.

Ticks alot of boxes.. :clap:

1. Moyes

2. Hughes

3. Rijkaard

4. Jol

Moyes has done exceptionally at Everton, and should be first choice. Hughes finished well with Fulham this year with no money, and has previously done well with Blackburn and Wales. He also did well with Man City before the ridiculous money was spent. Rijkard would hopefully bring a good style of football, and an opportunity to get some good players. Jol would also be a decent appointment.

Style of play is important for me. Despite the constant 6th place finishes, I couldn't stand MON-ball. If we aren't going to crack the top 4, I rather finish 7th-10th and play some attractive stuff.

Is that a vote for Holloway?!!

Except SSN.

shame.

Sky in "It's not news because it's not our news" shocker. Typical behaviour from them.

Exactly, its bad enough they ignore sports all together cause they dont have the rights to cover it.

Deschamps;

*Very good player for Chelsea.

*Will already know Duverne and maybe Makoun.

*Can Continue where Houllier has left off, with possession football.

*He is Young, ambitious and plays good style of football.

*Gave Man United a very close game in the CL for Marseille.

*Taken Marseille to the ligue 1 title for the 1st time in 18 yrs.

*Has also had a good spell in Italy with Juventus.

*Also won 3 domestic trophies in France with Marseille in his 2 seasons at the club.

*The Premiership becons him.

*He is well respected all over the world and could attract decent players to the club.

*Aston Villa would certainly be a club where this man can make his mark as a top manager..He could build a legacy with us.

Ticks alot of boxes.. :clap:

Yes please!