Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

Do people really think I manager has a "pull".

Surely it's more to do with the club itself.

Jose Mourinho couldn't he attract Ronaldo to join him at Swansea City could he?

Extreme example I know, but I think it's more to do with the club.

For instance whether the club can offer Champions League football or Europa League football.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would not be unhappy with Hughes. Not my first choice but certainly not my last choice and someone who would land , if not running then certainly jogging.

In this league of those we could realistically attract I would say Moyes, Hughes, Coyle would be my three and I guess as Hughes was nialed on for us last summer until he joined Fulham then it is probably an safe bet but who knows

With respect, I think what you fail to grasp is that we just can't get Deschamps or his like. It's not just that the board will likely look elsewhere, they wouldn't be able to attract Deschamps as of right now even if they wanted to.

Of course Martinez isn't in his league - I was simply demonstarting what the most feasible option would be if we wanted to pursue such a continental approach because we aren't going to be attracting Deschamps.

All of what you say sounds great in theory - it just isn't going to happen I'm afraid.

We will never be in a better possition than now to appoint Deschamps. Its now or never.. Its must to go all out and get this man..Use Houllier and Duverne to help pull strings if you must..

If we appoint Hughes, Moyes and co' its just like wasting another 4years..In the sense that we wont climb into the top 4..Because like ive said, the Arsenal way, is the "only way"...We cannot compete financially and Moyes and Hughes are managers that need funds to become successful..Neither are anywhere near the Wenger type..

We are just wasing time as a club..It could go on for another 10-15 years, until one day some clever twit says..We need to try a differant approach because we cant compete with the rich boys..

And only then will you be looking for that Deschamps/Wenger..

:|

Would not be unhappy with Hughes. Not my first choice but certainly not my last choice and someone who would land , if not running then certainly jogging.

In this league of those we could realistically attract I would say Moyes, Hughes, Coyle would be my three and I guess as Hughes was nialed on for us last summer until he joined Fulham then it is probably an safe bet but who knows

Did he choose Fulham ahead of us? Or did we choose Houllier ahead of him?

Do people really think I manager has a "pull".

Surely it's more to do with the club itself.

Jose Mourinho couldn't he attract Ronaldo to join him at Swansea City could he?

Extreme example I know, but I think it's more to do with the club.

For instance whether the club can offer Champions League football or Europa League football.

Of course managers have pull. It's not the only consideration. Things like CL football will win out, or if you're up against Man Utd to sign him then yeah the lure will only go so far, but a manager's reputation can definitely have an influence. For example, Ashley Young said Martin O'Neill's reputation was instrumental to him choosing Villa over other offers because Boothroyd told him his footballing education would be better here. Look at Sven at Leicester attracting Yakubu there because the player wanted to work under him. If you have a manager who was a legendary player or who is a manager of some note then you can definitely sway an undecided player in your general direction as long as there isn't a big over-riding factor like CL football going against you.

Selly said it's Hughes, well he said MH

My Home

My House

My Hemorrhoids

Mark Hughes

My Hump, my lovely little lumps

Is this sellyoakvilla?

And is he ITK?

He chose Fulham before MON pissed off IIRC. Then merely a week later MON pissed off. Oh I'd say Hughes lold, not.

With respect, I think what you fail to grasp is that we just can't get Deschamps or his like. It's not just that the board will likely look elsewhere, they wouldn't be able to attract Deschamps as of right now even if they wanted to.

Of course Martinez isn't in his league - I was simply demonstarting what the most feasible option would be if we wanted to pursue such a continental approach because we aren't going to be attracting Deschamps.

All of what you say sounds great in theory - it just isn't going to happen I'm afraid.

We will never be in a better possition than now to appoint Deschamps. Its now or never.. Its must to go all out and get this man..Use Houllier and Duverne to help pull strings if you must..

If we appoint Hughes, Moyes and co' its just like wasting another 4years..In the sense that we wont climb into the top 4..Because like ive said, the Arsenal way, is the "only way"...We cannot compete financially and Moyes and Hughes are managers that need funds to become successful..Neither are anywhere near the Wenger type..

We are just wasing time as a club..It could go on for another 10-15 years, until one day some clever twit says..We need to try a differant approach because we cant compete with the rich boys..

And only then will you be looking for that Deschamps/Wenger..

:|

The Deschamps and the Wengers will ONLY work for the rich boys that are already playing in the Champions League. And if you seriously think that our fitness coach has the power to persuade one of the most famous names in modern football to leave his League-winning, Champions League-qualifying club to take over a team that finished squarely in the middle of a division and will have to overcome Tottenham Hotspur, Arsenal, Liverpool and Everton to claim what will be only one remaining Champions League place (forget the other three right now - I guarantee you they will be staying with their present incumbents for the foreseeable future), I can now perhaps see why your expectations are set so unrealistically high.

He chose Fulham before MON pissed off IIRC. Then merely a week later MON pissed off. Oh I'd say Hughes lold, not.

Cheers BOF.

The possible / likely appointment of Hughes leaves me with a sense of "meh", and im not really sure why.

I was so massively put off going to VP in the latter days of MON due to the insipid, predictable and utterly boring tripe served bi-weekly, that im wary of anything almost slightly similar to his reign. Hughes has done "ok", everywhere he's been, but never really excelled in my opinion.

This of course could be due to him not being given the time to succeed ala Citeh, the finances ala Fulham, or the ability to attract players ala Blackburn, but I just find him an underwhelming and easy appointment to make.

All my eggs are in the Moyes basket. I think he'd be a phenomenal appointment, one who could not only see us climb the table, but also sort out the bad apples in the dressing room, which is in my opinion our biggest issue to deal with, even more important than replacing players.

In the end i trust Randy to make the right decision, like I think he did with Houllier, its not his fault health and idiotic incidents derailed what we couldve achieved under Gerard.

I suppose to surmise, any one but Benitez, i'll never accept him after the Barry fiasco.

Up the Villa!

Can people talking about Huges and Coyle please look up the word mediocre in a dictionary - we're not some small time outfit.

It'll probably be Rafa Benitez - I'd take him over the aforementioned anyday.

Then thank **** its not your decision to make is all i can say :P

Edit: added a ':P' as original post came across as a bit harsh :)

Former favourite Vincenzo Montella guided the club to the Serie A finish line and remains a candidate for the full time role along with Luis Enrique and Stefano Pioli.

Pioli left Chievo by mutual consent on Thursday, having previously said he was flattered by reports of interest by Roma, who have been taken over by an American consortium.

Former Spain midfielder Luis Enrique, who has just left as Barcelona B coach, has been reported in the media as being on the verge of joining Roma while Deschamps has indicated he may leave France.

"I'm obviously reflecting and I'm waiting to see a project. It will not be a financial decision because it is not a driving force or decisive for me," said former Juventus midfielder Deschamps.

Roma finished a disappointing campaign in sixth position in Serie A and will participate in the Europa League next season.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6957496,00.html

Also

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/summer-move-to-england-on-cards-for-deschamps-2265347.html