Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

Although Moyes is definitely my favourite, maybe having a foreign coach will make a refreshing and much needed change? Before Houllier, we've been going british since I can remember. This resulted in over expensive UK based transfers and some dodgy foreign signings.

Foreign managers have failed miserably at Villa.

The way you go on I would have thought your real name would be something like Albert Arthur George Windsor, not Tayo Scott-Thompson

Please stay on topic.

Refer to the forum guidelines for information or ask a moderator if you need help.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I've been giving this a lot of thought over the past day or two. I really like the idea of signing Roberto Martinez to be our next Manager. He's young and hungry. 37 years old, could be a great manager of Villa for a long time. He's done a lot with a very poor, talent wise, Wigan side. That club isn't going to spend and basically he's taken them as far as he can....fighting off relegation. This would be a new challenge for him. He has a proven track record in his short career. He could bring along Al-Habsi and N-Zogbia too, I wouldn't mind them. Sure, we'd have to pay a couple million in compensation, but I really think he'd be a good choice. Seems like a genuinely great guy and puts everything he's got into coaching.

There, i've said it. Martinez for manager.

Would love to see Klinnsman

Now that is a decent shout

Sacked at Bayern Munich?

Is that a question or a statement? Either way, it has no real bearing on his ability as a manager. I mean, Ancelotti got sacked and apparently hes the second coming of christ :winkold:

OK, I've been giving this a lot of thought over the past day or two. I really like the idea of signing Roberto Martinez to be our next Manager. He's young and hungry. 37 years old, could be a great manager of Villa for a long time. He's done a lot with a very poor, talent wise, Wigan side. That club isn't going to spend and basically he's taken them as far as he can....fighting off relegation. This would be a new challenge for him. He has a proven track record in his short career. He could bring along Al-Habsi and N-Zogbia too, I wouldn't mind them. Sure, we'd have to pay a couple million in compensation, but I really think he'd be a good choice. Seems like a genuinely great guy and puts everything he's got into coaching.

I agree with this. Martinez would be a great manager for us IMO

There are more Wenger type managers out there, you just have to find them..And the Arsenal way, is the ONLY WAY we are ever going to rule Europe again...

If Arsenal can't rule Europe doing things the Arsenal way, what chance have we got?

Do people honestly believe Ancellotti will be our manager? :o

Ill have whatever those that think this are having :lol:

Moyes, Hughes or Martinez for me.

i said it may not be realistic, we shoudl deffo be sounding him out though, he's out of work and wants to work in the uk. the regular CL clubs aren't looking for new management, spuds won't get rid of harry, king kenny is set to reign for the forseeable at anfield, we are potentially the best of the rest. so if he wants to stay in england, that means he accepts he won't just walk into a club in the CL. i'm personally going to pray for carlo.

after that jol, hughes i'd prefer to moyes to be honest...

I wouldnt mind Jol to be honest, he was the main man for fans this time last year and he seems to have been forgotten about this time around.

With regards to Ancellotti, the sounding out would go as follows;

Faulkener: Want the job?

CA: No thanks.

Thats about as far as it would go, crazier things have happened i guess but i just cant see it happening in a million years, no harm in asking though i suppose :P

k, i don't think anyone is saying ancelotti or else. everyone has said that he may be out of our league. BUT he has said he wants a job in the UK...

Man U - ferguson - going nowhere yet

Arsenal - wenger - going nowhere

Man City - mancini - going nowhere

Spurs - harry - going nowhere

Liverpool - kenny - going nowhere

we are potentially the best club outside of that lot aren't we? so we should DEFINITELY be going for his services.

worst that could happen is we end up with hughes, moyes, jol, ranieri, rijkaard, martinez or benitez. which to be fair wouldn't be the end of the world, although i don't like the idea of benitez much!

There are more Wenger type managers out there, you just have to find them..And the Arsenal way, is the ONLY WAY we are ever going to rule Europe again...

If Arsenal can't rule Europe doing things the Arsenal way, what chance have we got?

Every chance..

Wenger has taken Arsenal repeatedly into the CL,season upon season..Yet with very little net spend over his tenure at the club..

Add a manager to Villa in a similar frame to Wenger, yet WITH funding and it could yeild a decent possition for us on the European stage.

I think Houllier had to go, for health reasons more than anything.

The turmoil of changing a manager again is worrying though. Just hope it's quick and we get a nice surprise. Then we can move forward positively, albeit slowly requiring patience from the fans. But if it's a half arsed appointment the patience will wear thin very quick.

Fingers crossed.

While I like Martinez's personality and like him as Wigan manager, I'm not sure I'd be confident in him as a Villa manager. I know he only has meagre resources at Wigan but he hasn't actually proven that he can do anything other than flirt with relegation yet. I know that's all we can expect of Wigan but that doesn't change the fact that we can't be sure Martinez would do any better and I think his idealistic style of football might remain as ineffectual at Villa as it has been at pushing Wigan up the league. After all, Moyes has been flirting with CL on relatively meagre resources, so if offered a choice between those 2, for me it's no contest - and that's ignoring the fact I'd take Hughes over both of them.

I'm a fan of Martinez but I'm still not a 100% sure on him.

He seems too much of a nice guy for me and I'm not sure if he would get the respect of the players.

I'm sure one day in the future he'll manage a bigger club than Wigan but I hope we don't take that risk just yet.