Alan Hutton

Rich_D

I think you've got this one wrong Paul. A full back should know how to take part in the attack, yes. However, he should first know how to defend, and do it well. Lowton doesn't.

He crosses towards Benteke alright, and against Spurs was allowed to do it multiple times. It looked pretty, but that's about it.

Hutton on the other hand has arguably been one of our best, and most consistent, players so far.

Exactly. A full back's first job is to defend. Hutton can do this and can also get forward. He gets fouled, shakes it off, and gets on with his game. Any opponent would rather face a lightweight full back than an uncompromising one like Hutton.

Impressed with him last night, not just hes work rate but right at the end of the game when we were under real pressure he went down to win a free kick and give us a breather. That bit of nous is something the other players really lack.

Impressed with him last night, not just hes work rate but right at the end of the game when we were under real pressure he went down to win a free kick and give us a breather. That bit of nous is something the other players really lack.

Yes. I noticed that. A very quick decision that had all the hallmarks of a professional player. Could have proved to be a game saving move by him.

Should be captain.

I wonder what he's like in person. I think he battles and bosses opponents on the field, which I love. He also has enough confidence to challenge opponents, and wants the ball all the time. That's a lot of captain material there. But I'm still hesitant to agree with you, for whatever reason...

Edited by AVTuco

Should be captain.

I wonder what he's like in person. I think he battles and bosses opponents on the field, which I love. He also has enough confidence to challenge opponents, and wants the ball all the time. That's a lot of captain material there. But I'm still hesitant to agree with you, for whatever reason...

Better than Agbonlahor, surely?

Should be captain.

Better than Agbonlahor, surely?

Now that you mention him, I think I may have set the bar too high for Alan.:)

There was one instance where Westwood played a lovely weighted pass and Hutton a fantastic cross to the far post and Gabby failed to get on the end of it. Benteke would almost certainly have scored.  excellent performance. 

Â