Alan Hutton

Rich_D

• 5 weeks later...

Former Aston Villa midfielder Barry Bannan believes that there are grounds for a 'Hutton Inquiry' at Villa Park into the mystery surrounding the treatment of full-back Alan Hutton, whose last appearance for the Midlands club was 18 months ago.

The 28-year-old has been ostracised by manager Paul Lambert since his arrival in the summer of 2012. Between August and October of last year his only competitive games were for Scotland. He was then sent out on loan, at first to Nottingham Forest and then Real Mallorca.

Villa refused to allow the player to return to Spain this season and he has been forced to train with the club’s youth team. In spite of that, the four appearances Hutton has made for the national team during the current campaign have been hailed by manager Gordon Strachan as the best of his international career.

Bannan, now with Crystal Palace, is at a loss as to why he has been frozen out by Lambert.

“He’s been brilliant,” he said. “I found it tough fitness-wise playing for Scotland when I wasn’t involved with my club.

“When he’s played, I think his performances have been unbelieveable. I can’t remember the last time he had a club game but his fitness levels have been amazing.”

Stoke City playmaker Charlie Adam, appearing on Sky Sports’ The Fantasy Football Club programme last weekend, named Hutton as one of the best 11 players he has appeared alongside and claimed that he was the best right-back Villa have at their disposal.

“I’d agree [with that assessment] but I don’t know all the ins and outs of what is going on there. I’d say he’s been brilliant with Scotland. It’s mad, really: if you are not involved with your club and you come away here and put in those performances you’d think other clubs would see that.

“I’m amazed he’s not had a move. When we played against England at Wembley in August I thought he was terrific and I was sure someone would have watched that and a move would come off.

“However, it will surely happen for him in January as his form with Scotland has been tremendous.”

Both players are likely to be involved when Jurgen Klinsmann brings his United States side to Hampden on Friday evening and Bannan revealed that the despondency which hung over the national squad during the dog days of the Craig Levein era have been dispelled by Strachan.

“It’s the same anywhere, if you are not winning then it’s not a happy place to be,” he said. “The way we’ve been playing in the last few games the performances have been brilliant.

“I’m happy to come away with Scotland every time I get a call-up. The atmosphere is fantastic.”

Barry Bannan bemused by Alan Hutton's treatment at Aston Villa

As I read this story earlier

coffee-spit-o.gif

I feel slightly sorry for Hutton.  He wasn't great, but his main crime seems to have been signing a contract that pays him a lot of money.

He picks up £1.5 million a year for turning up to reserve team training. I wouldn't feel too sorry for him.

He was very poor and rightly replaced. It is disappointing for all concerned that he hasn't been sold. His contract is up in 2015 but I'm sure he will be gone by next summer, maybe even January.

I feel slightly sorry for Hutton. He wasn't great, but his main crime seems to have been signing a contract that pays him a lot of money.

He said in the summer that he was not bothered if he didn't get a move because he still had a fat contract at Villa to live off.

I don't think there is any reason to feel sorry for him. If he wanted to get his career back on track all he has to do is agree a pay cut and sign for a new club.

If he was any good people clubs would want to sign him. Simple as.

I'm sure we wouldn't mind funding a small percentage of his wage until the end of the contract for him to move on and have the majority of his salary off the books.

I'll always remember the couple of weeks he got injured in March/April of the McLeish season and Lichaj came in for the Chelsea game at VP and gave a performance that was infinitely better than Hutton anything had managed all season. He played with greater desire, intensity and quality.

Lichaj is now in the Championship, Hutton just needs to realise that's his level too.

I feel slightly sorry for Hutton. He wasn't great, but his main crime seems to have been signing a contract that pays him a lot of money.

His main crime is that he cost us £4million and he isn't very good at football. Regardless of his form for Scotland or the wages his on, a pointless signing that we didn't need at the time and was frankly **** awful in the season he was our first choice right back

• Like 1

I think Lamberts treatment of him is a bit harsh to be honest. The club should have let him go back to Spain, even though they were offering to pay a small part of his wages surely that would be better than nothing. At least he could have put himself in the shop window by playing regular games?? Looks like we woll be paying him until 2015 now

How is this guy still a permanent fixture in the Scotland team?

Because he plays well for Scotland. Just not a premier league player. 

that is why he was a fixture in the spurs side that finished 4th in the league

How is this guy still a permanent fixture in the Scotland team?

Because he plays well for Scotland. Just not a premier league player. 

that is why he was a fixture in the spurs side that finished 4th in the league

No, he actually got loaned out to Sunderland the season they finished fourth. The next season Redknob sent Walker over to us in January, and as soon as Walker was back at Spurs, Hutton was training with the youth team there. 

Â