Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

I think Costa deserves more credit than Baker deserves blame tbh.

Really? It was a great run but Baker was marking fresh air. You can't be stood around ball watching when one of the most in form strikers in the world is standing in space 5 yards away from you. Maybe one of the midfielders should have dropped back in to help though as well.

That was the point really. Costa looked gash at the World Cup but has looked absolutely outstanding in the PL. Debating what Baker might or might not have done is pretty irrelevant. It just makes me laugh that he did really well against Liverpool but the boo boys are back out when we lose away to the best side in the PL who have one of the most in form strikers in the world playing for then.

Bottom line is we need to have Okore back in shape as soon as possible as a third choice. Baker is fine as a fourth choice and Clark just about okay as a fifth choice.

I think both Baker and Clark are fine as back ups. Our problems lie elsewhere. At the other end of the pitch, where nothing happens.

• Like 2

Bottom line is we need to have Okore back in shape as soon as possible as a third choice. Baker is fine as a fourth choice and Clark just about okay as a fifth choice.

I think both Baker and Clark are fine as back ups. Our problems lie elsewhere. At the other end of the pitch, where nothing happens.

If nothing is still happening with Benteke and Kozak available, then we should worry. But I think having some kind of goal threat will make things happen in lots of different ways.

If nothing is still happening with Benteke and Kozak available, then we should worry. But I think having some kind of goal threat will make things happen in lots of different ways.

Yes, I agree. We knew it would be like this, but it's just too long a wait for me.

With the goal threat we have, ten points is a miracle.

Can't blame him for the goal, If he or Clarke did what Delph did for the other goal and just stopped running and almost planted his hands on his hips I'm sure they would have been publicly flogged on here.

Its not zonal marking, its shape.You have a shape to defend certain situations, man at the front post, man in the middle, fb covering the back post.Nothing that Baker did was partic bad, in comparison watch Clark last week for the 2nd goal.

Ok, well we will have to agree to disagree.

I'm still of the opinion that given the choice between marking a player and standing in empty space there is only one option that a defender should choose in open play.

Its a balance between the two.

In open play you can't purely mark men. You'd be pulled all over the place and leave holes all over the pitch.

But neither can you stick so rigidly to a shape that you ignore players stood 5 yards away from you.

I didn't see the game so can't comment on what Baker did yesterday.

But arguing whether players mark opponents or space in open play is futile. Its both, depending on the situation.

• Like 1

Also I think Grealish will get more game time weaker teams (against the opponents we've had recently and in the next 3 games we need guys out wide that will defend well) and that could make a difference. Also if we play like we did yesterday against most teams in the league we won't lose!

Baker did ok. Weimann shouldn't have let Willian breeze past his for the first, Baker lost Costa for the second, but that was classic centre forward play, peeling of the back of the cb then darting across him! The third was irrelevant! We cannot afford to concede after 9 minutes against Chelsea or Man City for that matter!

Baker IS a decent CB and could be a good CB in 2 or 3 years time.  Not sure about Clark though he gets beaten to easily! 

An attack that cost well over a hundred million, against our defence which was put together for less than ten. Yeah, let's blame baker because that's clearly his fault too.

I really have no idea how some people's minds work - are they incapable of understanding that sometimes other teams and players just play well and its not our players' fault that they're not as good?

I simply can't accept that.

Costa did well for the goal - granted. But since when is it OK to leave the striker you are marking in the box when you know a cross is coming for him?

By your logic, that's OK if that forward gets paid a lot.

An attack that cost well over a hundred million, against our defence which was put together for less than ten. Yeah, let's blame baker because that's clearly his fault too.

I really have no idea how some people's minds work - are they incapable of understanding that sometimes other teams and players just play well and its not our players' fault that they're not as good?

Costa did well for the goal - granted. But since when is it OK to leave the striker you are marking in the box when you know a cross is coming for him?

No.By his logic to get top players you pay top dollar.Or pounds.Or euros etc etc.

This a million times. 

We have high hopes for Okore, but in my opinion he has not shown himself so far to be better than either Baker or Clark.

Costa does well for the goal, Baker should probably have been tighter on him but the build-up was insanely fast and the cross was pin-point. It was a great goal from Chelsea and that's what they paid all that money for - I'm not going to shit on Baker too much for it and I think the derision is counter-productive at best.

This a million times.

We have high hopes for Okore, but in my opinion he has not shown himself so far to be better than either Baker or Clark.

Come on now. That's rubbish.

This a million times.

Come on now. That's rubbish.

A bit like your response then, which adds nothing to the discussion.

Â