Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

If Clark had been playing, and we kept a clean sheet all would be great, but because it's Baker let's bat him up.

The defense did their job, sadly was the forwards who let us down.

I think there's some merit to what you say.

Baker did well yesterday.

Just my opinion, but I think Baker got the nod ahead of Clark because he wins more physical battles than Clark does.  Clark reads the passing lanes and anticipates play better, but Nathan is your man with a physical forward, like Jones.  Clark often get's bossed by the physical forward.  Nathan's more physical play was the order of the day.  (although I do think he took that task a little too literally for one that in honestly should probably have been a PK (again, IMO).

If you think he was a liability yesterday, how many many fewer goals allowed would you have been happy with?  (for the slow, and anyone who reads this in three weeks or more, we allowed zero)   Even the chances they had, were not down to Nathan.  He had an outstanding game.  Frankly, I would have made him MOTM if he had not been lucky on the penalty shout.

Some of the shit aimed at Nathan is frankly disappointing to see from Villa fans. Here's a young guy giving his all and learning his trade at the sharp end. I thought he was imperious last night, arguably man of the match.

Give me a chance to play in the premier league and I will give my all, doesn't mean i'll be good enough though. I respect what he is doing, but he just isn't a Premier league footballer!!

Imagine him playing for Newcastle. Southampton, everton. truth is, he would'nt get a game and be nowhere near those teams, though this is what we are aiming for, but I guess this is how far we have dropped to name him man of the match in our poor squad

No evidence to suggest hes a liability........when was the last time he was responsible for giving a goal away?

Played well again yday.For a 22 year old CH he shows a lot of promise.

Did you not see him rugby tackle Kenwyne Jones in the first half

Cannot believe that was not a penalty considering the ref was staring right at it if he had got any closer to his man he would have been inside him

I also noticed in the West Ham game he couldn't cope with Carlton Cole and kept giving stupid fouls away

He's good enough as a backup but shouldn't be anywhere near the starting eleven

Edited by AshVilla

No evidence to suggest hes a liability........when was the last time he was responsible for giving a goal away?

Played well again yday.For a 22 year old CH he shows a lot of promise.

Did you not see him rugby tackle Kenwyne Jones in the first half

Cannot believe that was not a penalty considering the ref was staring right at it if he had got any closer to his man he would have been inside him

I also noticed in the West Ham game he couldn't cope with Carlton Cole and kept giving stupid fouls away

He's good enough as a backup but shouldn't be anywhere near the starting eleven

As an aside, I don't really understand this position. Players get injured, and backups do come into the starting eleven. Even Herd has started twice. I don't see the point of having players in your squad that you wouldn't be prepared to play. Myself, I think Baker is good enough to start, in the right role, against the right opponents, even though he wouldn't be first-choice. 

Baker is see what you get. Collins like defender. not great makes odd mistake can be rash but gives you all. Still very young in defensive terms and its clear that him and Clark are more confident next to Vlaar than next to each other

Some of the shit aimed at Nathan is frankly disappointing to see from Villa fans. Here's a young guy giving his all and learning his trade at the sharp end. I thought he was imperious last night, arguably man of the match.

Give me a chance to play in the premier league and I will give my all, doesn't mean i'll be good enough though. I respect what he is doing, but he just isn't a Premier league footballer!!

Imagine him playing for Newcastle. Southampton, everton. truth is, he would'nt get a game and be nowhere near those teams, though this is what we are aiming for, but I guess this is how far we have dropped to name him man of the match in our poor squad

Newcastle? Really? Even Southampton, their backup cbs have somewhat struggled. He's fourth in the pecking order, villa have just had bad injury luck so he's been forced into a leading role. What's the issue with that?

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to say well done to Baker today. In my book he's done well since he's taken Clark's spot alongside Vlaar.

Those stud marks are going to hurt in the morning but keep the beard and keep it up big man!

Â