Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

I don't understand how people are so continually forgiving of Baker. He has a really obvious weakness, and whenever it's exposed we leak goals. He can't turn quickly, he has no turn of pace, and the neat through-ball inside the fullback destroys him every time. He was a spectator for the Cleverley goal today, despite having a head start. Unfortunately, he can't improve into a top class centre back - he doesn't have the physical attributes.

It's a shame, as he is a good all-round footballer with a great attitude, but he has the turning circle of an oil tanker.

Just wondering if anyone else thinks that Baker is a liability? I like his attitude, strength, and his aerial ability, but he seems to be lacking almost everything else you'd want of a defender - no pace, rash decision making, often in the wrong position, zero skill on the ball. He seems to be getting a free pass at the moment, and I just don't understand it when Bennett, Lichaj, even Vlaar get torn apart for their defensive performances. In the first half against Sunderland, Baker looked completely out of his depth. He did okay against Norwich because Holt and Hoolahan are the slowest front two in football. How on earth this guy is the answer at LB against big 4 opposition is beyond me. We seem to think he's some kind of Ivanovich. I'd hope that top of PL's list would be an experienced centre half, maybe even two. It's the one position where youthful exuberance doesn't get you anywhere.

This is what I said back in May, and most people seemed to disagree. But today really confirmed all these points I thought? If Okore hadn't got injured, we might have found out whether PL agrees with this assessment too.

I earlier said I wouldn't swap him but today I've changed my mind. Showed up his main weaknesses - lack of pace and ball skills. His pace won't change.

This was exploited ruthlessly by Man Utd all day.

He's not a Premier League defender, not the top half of the league anyway. If Okore and Vlaar were not injured he would be 4th choice. For a 4th choice CB we need someone a bit quicker. I'd sell. He would be worth a few million.

He's strong and that's about it.

He's a championship defender.  He cannot use the ball, he should be much better in the air and more aggressive, his tackling is always "last ditch" and he always slides in, meaning if he doesn't get the ball, he's on his arse and useless.

Not impressed, shame our other CB's are busted.

He was being bigged up by everyone on here in the summer - I felt like I was the only one who couldn't see what everyone else did.

Turns out it appears most think he's as crap as I did back then now. 

He's atrocious, guarentees you a ridiculous mistake in every game.

The physical part of his game makes Baker quite likeable; he's good at getting in the way of things and putting his head to the ball. If we're being honest though, there's only so long that those attributes can hide the fact he is a very poor, limited footballer. Clark has looked vastly improved this season, Baker is still making the same stupid mistakes and still looks as if he is playing well above his level. With the signing of Okore I don't think that Lambert had been planning to use Baker much this season.

Also a red card waiting to happen. He's the kind of defender that gets promoted from the Championship with a team like Cardiff, Blackpool or Wolves then struggles in the Premier League. He's a very good defender, just not the quality we need for top half of the Premier League even as 4th choice. We need someone quicker.

Poor for the 2nd goal, his distribution lets him down big style. Careless pass and he usually does one of those a game even when he plays well.

I also didn't like the way he was lunging in for the last 10 minutes when he was already on a yellow. Yes it's frustrating to play in these types of games but he need to look at the bigger picture. With Herd injured now and no guaranteed Vlaar will be available it would've been unacceptable for Baker to get sent off and be banned for Stoke as we need him with not many central defence options left.

I actually think he'll be o.k in the next few games against Stoke and Crystal Palace, teams with forwards with little forward movement and who play plenty of long balls are the games Baker excels in, heading it away all game long.

Baker is just a big lump of a centre half. His attributes are his bravery and his size. I remember his clash of heads with Andy Carroll left him blooded like terry butcher then minutes later winning a 50:50 against someone else. These sort of interceptions have masked up his weakness's for so long. Any other club would be sending him out to make his mistakes on loan. I'm surprised he didn't get sent off today.

I like Baker but sadly he is just a stopper and not much else. He was woefully exposed today. Basically James Collins but with a quiff.

• Like 1

He could learn a lot from Vlaar, ie defending on your feet, but he hasn't.

He was one of my favourite players last year, but as has been said, he's still making the same mistakes.

We need to sign higher quality defensive cover, that's for sure.

Â