Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

Very early to write him off. But his impact has been almost zero - even GH dropped him a few weeks after shelling out £5m on him.

I would be surprised if he isn't with us in August. However I quickly see him falling down the pecking order - just don't see what he brings TBH - and his agent seems to be putting the feelers out - the Monaco link was also on another forum last night - so maybe there is something in that after all

Bicks your been very harsh imo. The fitter you are the faster your brain works, so it would help a little especially later in games when people start to get tired. Besides, yes i do think it would make a big difference.

Very early to write him off. But his impact has been almost zero - even GH dropped him a few weeks after shelling out £5m on him.

I would be surprised if he isn't with us in August. However I quickly see him falling down the pecking order - just don't see what he brings TBH - and his agent seems to be putting the feelers out - the Monaco link was also on another forum last night - so maybe there is something in that after all

Rubbish as usual.

GH never dropped him, IIRC he was only on the bench once.

He got suspended for three games.

He got injured once.

He had personal issues with his family being involved in an accident.

"agent seems to be putting the feelers out" Major presumption, if that was there case there'd be a paper link in England or France but there hasn't been so you are wrong.

You also saw the link on another forum? Maybe thats where the original guys source is from? Again it's total rubbish and not a realistic move IF he was to leave us.

So basically there is nothing in it and it's all presumptions.

It'd be a bit like me saying I heard Bent was off to Tottenham...

Bicks has just never rated him for some reason, and doesnt even seem to want to give him a chance, from what i've seen there is a very good player in there IMO. His one touch passing, vision and awareness are quite exceptional. If given the opportunity i'm confident he'll come good. (Unless we have a shite team around him)

Premiership games are played at one speed, full speed, that's what he's having trouble with IMO. To use an analogy many of us can relate to, I suppose it's like playing 5 a side for the first time in months/years, everything is a blur. It's about developing an awareness of where the balls going to go, where to move on the pitch etc.

I think Bicks is partially right, and partially wrong.

I think the pre-season is important not necessarily for fitness in Makoun's sake, but to learn how to play with the rest of the (quickly disappearing) squad; how they move, where they like the ball played, what sort of runs they make, which foot they like, etc. It is this type of repetition and awareness that he didn't get to take advantage of.

As an example, world class players can be put together and it doesn't necessarily work straight away (I have seen Drogba, Essien mentioned). I remember thinking several times on Makoun passes that went awry that the player he passed to stopped or changed direction just as Makoun was releasing them, arguably putting themselves in less advantageous positions and the pass looked bad when I felt his target made a bad choice and Makoun had already committed (sometimes before he had even received the ball, which I thought was the most exciting part of his game).

Where Bicks is correct though is that I don't think AM is going to set up the way GH had planned, nor buy the players GH would have bought to play with Makoun, making him a bit of a non-fit in the squad. I for one would like to see him given the chance though, he certainly had the skill to adapt, whether he and the rest of squad actually do remains to be seen.

I think the pre-season is important not necessarily for fitness in Makoun's sake, but to learn how to play with the rest of the (quickly disappearing) squad; how they move, where they like the ball played, what sort of runs they make, which foot they like, etc. It is this type of repetition and awareness that he didn't get to take advantage of.

As an example, world class players can be put together and it doesn't necessarily work straight away (I have seen Drogba, Essien mentioned). I remember thinking several times on Makoun passes that went awry that the player he passed to stopped or changed direction just as Makoun was releasing them, arguably putting themselves in less advantageous positions and the pass looked bad when I felt his target made a bad choice and Makoun had already committed (sometimes before he had even received the ball, which I thought was the most exciting part of his game).

Where Bicks is correct though is that I don't think AM is going to set up the way GH had planned, nor buy the players GH would have bought to play with Makoun, making him a bit of a non-fit in the squad. I for one would like to see him given the chance though, he certainly had the skill to adapt, whether he and the rest of squad actually do remains to be seen.

Ah I'd agree with you on the passing that I think a pre-season would help but when I was talking about his speed of reactions, I was more talking about defensively and his tackling, it was that side of his game that worried me more than anything. He got sent off once and in at least one other game he should have been, even he thought he was going off you could tell by his reaction.

I also agree that I don't think AM will set up a team to take advantage of the type of player he is, he's as good as said it'll be 4-4-2 with Bent & Gabby up front, with an emphasis on wingers and overlapping full backs, which I take to mean that both central midfielders will be of the defensive ilk and thats the aspect of Makouns game that worries me more than anything.

Looked a bit of a fish out of water last season, but understandably had issues with the language, pace of the game etc. Hope he settles and shows what he can do, but would'nt be surprised if he looked for a early return to the continent either.

Rubbish as usual.

I thought he got dropped (By GH) after the wolves game ?

Rubbish as usual.

I thought he got dropped (By GH) after the wolves game ?

He was suspended after the wolves game, came back against Everton and nearly got sent off again. Was doing the exact same thing against Newcastle so got subbed and NRC was brought on, so he didn't feature in the last 6 games of the season at all. He was on the bench for the first two games after Newcastle (so yes thats dropped!) and never featured even on the bench for the final four games. GH we're told was still picking the team from his sickbed.

Bicks has just never rated him for some reason, and doesnt even seem to want to give him a chance, from what i've seen there is a very good player in there IMO. His one touch passing, vision and awareness are quite exceptional. If given the opportunity i'm confident he'll come good. (Unless we have a shite team around him)

Absolutely spot on! Some Villa fans are too quick to write off players after a few appearances. Give them a full season and then give a verdict. I'm not sure what some Villa fans expect and it makes me laugh when I read 'a player is not good enough (Etherington)' realistically with the big guns buying the top talent what do we expect.

Absolutely spot on! Some Villa fans are too quick to write off players after a few appearances. Give them a full season and then give a verdict. I'm not sure what some Villa fans expect and it makes me laugh when I read 'a player is not good enough (Etherington)' realistically with the big guns buying the top talent what do we expect.

I also agree w/ JV. Makoun's qualities as a CM are exceptional, and is the most technically proficient midfielder in the squad. His ability to read plays before they even happen, and play accordingly is worth 6M imo. Give him a chance guys.

Bicks has just never rated him for some reason

Because having Makoun in the team would mean no place for Petrov. No Petrov make Bicksy an unhappy boy!! :lol:

Not sure Makoun has ever played in place of Petrov.

Â