Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

Bicks has just never rated him for some reason, and doesnt even seem to want to give him a chance, from what i've seen there is a very good player in there IMO. His one touch passing, vision and awareness are quite exceptional. If given the opportunity i'm confident he'll come good. (Unless we have a shite team around him)

Absolutely spot on! Some Villa fans are too quick to write off players after a few appearances. Give them a full season and then give a verdict. I'm not sure what some Villa fans expect and it makes me laugh when I read 'a player is not good enough (Etherington)' realistically with the big guns buying the top talent what do we expect.

To be fair, I don't think anyone is trying to "write off" Makoun - just offer a corrective to the view that (a) he was great last season (if only in one game, then in flashes) and (B) will be superb next season.

There isn't any evidence for this view and all the evidence so far points in the opposite direction. My recollection is that he was dropped for most of the "8 match mini-league" that Houllier announced to rescue us from the relegation threat. There must be a doubt over his ability to play in the tough matches, which he will have to overcome if he is to succeed with Villa.

On what we've seen so far, you just can't say with any confidence

His one touch passing, vision and awareness are quite exceptional.
It just didn't happen that way.

Bicks has just never rated him for some reason, and doesnt even seem to want to give him a chance, from what i've seen there is a very good player in there IMO. His one touch passing, vision and awareness are quite exceptional. If given the opportunity i'm confident he'll come good. (Unless we have a shite team around him)

Absolutely spot on! Some Villa fans are too quick to write off players after a few appearances. Give them a full season and then give a verdict. I'm not sure what some Villa fans expect and it makes me laugh when I read 'a player is not good enough (Etherington)' realistically with the big guns buying the top talent what do we expect.

To be fair, I don't think anyone is trying to "write off" Makoun - just offer a corrective to the view that (a) he was great last season (if only in one game, then in flashes) and (B) will be superb next season.

There isn't any evidence for this view and all the evidence so far points in the opposite direction. My recollection is that he was dropped for most of the "8 match mini-league" that Houllier announced to rescue us from the relegation threat. There must be a doubt over his ability to play in the tough matches, which he will have to overcome if he is to succeed with Villa.

On what we've seen so far, you just can't say with any confidence

His one touch passing, vision and awareness are quite exceptional.
It just didn't happen that way.

It did in the United game.

Makoun's pass through to Young against wolves was as good as I'd seen all season. (Young missed) the chance one on one) He does show flashes of being above average but I don't think he's a reincarnation of Cruijjf, furthermore I don't think anyone claims that. He gives as good as he gets which bicks translates as not being able to tackle, which is not the case. He does suffer from 'red mist' sometimes. I'm not confident he's settled in this country without having anything to base this on, I just feel he's a fish in the shallows.

If he had have scored from the header, just inside the area, Witton End, cant remember who against, the views maybe different.

Makoun's pass through to Young against wolves was as good as I'd seen all season. (Young missed) the chance one on one) He does show flashes of being above average but I don't think he's a reincarnation of Cruijjf, furthermore I don't think anyone claims that. He gives as good as he gets which bicks translates as not being able to tackle, which is not the case. He does suffer from 'red mist' sometimes. I'm not confident he's settled in this country without having anything to base this on, I just feel he's a fish in the shallows.

If he had have scored from the header, just inside the area, Witton End, cant remember who against, the views maybe different.

I think you're thinking of Stoke IIRC. 'Twas a real sitter though.

Harsh...he was outside the peanlty spot but it was unchallenged. The height he got was very good.

Harsh...he was outside the peanlty spot but it was unchallenged. The height he got was very good.

Yeah, I remember thinking to myself 'the little guy got a free, unchallenged header against Stoke and completely missed'. He had a pretty lackluster game that game (as did pretty much everyone else save Bent and Walker), which seems indictment enough for some people here sadly.

was vs Wolves I believe and was a sitter. I like him though.

Yeah, I remember thinking to myself 'the little guy got a free, unchallenged header against Stoke and completely missed'. He had a pretty lackluster game that game (as did pretty much everyone else save Bent and Walker), which seems indictment enough for some people here sadly.

That's about it Keyblade. You're right about the last bit too.

I think all this talk of him going is slightly premature. Remember the statement from McLeish of everyone getting a clean slate-that applies to Makoun too.

With a pre-season under his belt i think he'll become a valuable member of the squad. Don't forget that Petrov came from Scotland, already speaking English and it still took him about 2 seasons to begin producing some form whereas Makoun has come from France speaking barely any English and trying to pick up the pace of the Premier League from the off straight away which admittedly he has failed to do thus far.

Give him a chance guys and get off his back-sometimes you lot are like a pack of wolves lol.

Give him a chance guys and get off his back-sometimes you lot are like a pack of wolves lol.

Likewise, if people stop bigging him up as a world-class player who showed great ability last season and will sweep all before him next season, and acknowledge he still has it all to prove, there won't be anything to argue about.

becasue he was bought to replace Petrov his favourite player. He doesnt like NRC either

He was bought to replace Petrov? Not sure that is correct and can think of little evidence to support it.

I don't like NRC? I think you'll find I've consistently said all last season that he was much improved (and deserved to be in the team ahead of Makoun), what I did say was his game is limited and he's learned to cut out the silly stuff which detracted from his game, then I also said theres no way he was worth the money he seemed to be wanting to sign a new contract. If he wanted to stay and earn sensible money I wouldn't have a problem with that, he didn't, I didn't think we should have been held to ransom by him and the club seemingly agreed with that as he was let go. I've also said he is easily replaceable, I still think he is

• 4 weeks later...

Makoun had a huge grin on him whenever he walked back into position after we scored each goal. It looked like he was laughing ang joking with Dunne/ Collins about something.

I'm glad he appears to have settled in.

Just watching Walsall game ....nickname should be 'one touch'. Now I remember why he caught my eye so much.

How you watching the match mate? Any chance of posting it to VT for the rest of us peasants?? :lol:

A link would be nice, especially if they are long highlights, craving football.

Â