Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

I think this thread may be drifting away from its subject!

But, while we're on possession, it is not on its own a very reliable guide to effectiveness or quality of football. Last season, Wigan had eighth highest possession but were poor for most of the season and finished 15th in the real league table. Newcastle, who were one place lower than Wigan on possession, finished 5th. In one notable game last season, Swansea at home to Newcastle had 77% possession but lost 0-2.

What is more important is scoring goals and, even more crucially, winning games.

If the hero worship for Makoun is based on the assumption (a) that he will turn Villa into a high possession team and (B) this will automatically mean we start winning more games, then the reality is (a) he almost certainly won't and (B) it simply doesn't follow.

Genuine question, where did Newcastle finish in the possession table?

What hero worship for Makoun? I've seen none.

Genuine answer obtained from the very post you quote 8+1=9

The guy was a VT cult hero because he had a stupid jumper and sat on a wall in a rap video.

No he wasn't (and isn't).

Just because a few people liked his jumper, doesn't mean he became a cult hero.

The guy was a VT cult hero because he had a stupid jumper and sat on a wall in a rap video.

He's not a cult hero. :? Now Salifou is a cult hero. Still pissed off we didn't get to see him one last time.

No he wasn't (and isn't).

Just because a few people liked his jumper, doesn't mean he became a cult hero.

Exactly when Harewood was at the club there was a Marlon Harewood should grow an afro group on facebook doesn't mean he was a cult hero

Birmingham post are reporting him to be given a fresh chance. I suppose that could mean anything - poor as our midfield is - he's well down the pecking order for me - on the other hand i don't suppose many clubs will be queuing to sign him

I'd give him a fresh start. A midfield and forward line like

--------------Bent

N'Zogbia - Ireland - Holman - (Throw in Gabby, Albrighton and possibly someone new as options)

----- Makoun - Herd - (With Gardner, Bannan and A new (possibly first choice) DM as options)

You don't have a bad looking line up. Herd (or new DM) to break up play and Makoun to link play with the forward line.

If he is to be given a fresh start he'll need to grab it with both hands. Its time for him to shit or get off the pot. I'm personally not sure he is suited to the Prem and having turned 29 I am not sure if he is too set in his ways/has the time to adapt. Hopefully he'll be chomping at the bit having only started 20 odd games in over 18 months.

Is he well down the pecking order?

If we play 3 in there, the options are Herd, Clark, Ireland, Bannan, Gardner, Delph, Makoun.

Clark could easily play at centre back, Ireland might not be here and I'd have him ahead of Delph.

Out of our central midfielders (so I'm not including Ireland or Clark and obviously Petrov due to illness) the only one that's proven himself worthy of a starting spot is Herd. Makoun deserves a chance.

Â