The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

Hi Genral: I've been a loyal Villa fan since i was 7 years old, at the ripe age of 46 i want my kids to follow my beliefs(my little girl is 8 in August and my son is 4 this month), I have all the faith in the board and Randy to see us through this and come out smelling of roses, I want my kids to enjoy and experience my youth following a great team in a safe and happy environment under a great managment team: Please don't let this situation get ugly, We as fans need and would appreciate a statement every now and again offering us hope or even just reassurance. I for one will not be taking my kids to a stadium that is full of hate and contempt for the board and managment.

Always faithful! Regards Becks1876

General

One of the criteria for our managerial appointment is premier league experience.

Surely this doesn't make sense given the following managers in the top four last season:

Alex Ferguson - no premier league experience before going to Man U (he's done OK)

Carlo Ancelotti - no premier league experience and then won the double.

Arsene Wenger - no premier league experience and got Arsenal in the CL every season.

Roberto Mancini - no premier league experience and got City in the CL in his first full season.

Does that suggest or does that not suggest that having premier league experience should be one of the key criteria we look at?

Wake up Villa.

General i want to ask you something based on the premier league experience quotes in the latest statements even though im sure this will be ignored.

You said hes a proven premierleague manager, now he has managed in the league for 3 years in which 2 seasons he was relegated. He also played the worst football in the league last season and scored 37 goals in 38 games. Absolutely terrible.

Secondly you said he hasnt been backed by the previous board he worked under, also complete rubbish as he had the 3rd highest net spend only beaten by man city and chelseas spending.

Cant any of the board see what this potential appointment will do to the club, my worst day as a villa fan and ive been going to villa park since i was 5 years old absolutely disgraceful that the board think mcleish is the man to take our club forward. Im genuinely disgusted by the whole board.

Three Questions from me:

1. How are you going to tempt me (fan for 25 years) and my Dad (fan for 50 years) back to the football club as at the moment we are completely destroyed by this. Our prospective appointment isnt exactly renowned for his free flowing football, nouse in the transfer market, promotion and nuturing of youth is he?

2. Who is advising you? There are precisely zero football people on our board - even the noses have Steve McMananaman

3. If we have only had the opportunity to talk to our prospective appt since Sunday then what the hell has been going on for the past 55 days

4. Whose in charge of PR as my clubs name (yes you read that correctly MY club) has been dragged through the dirt the last 12 months

5. May I suggest you cast your net wider in terms of Market Research regarding our feelings towards our neighbours - yes we cant stand them, but a large part of the reason we dont want the prospective appt is because he's actually a really really poor football manager. Ultra defensive ale house tosh

General, you state 'Again, I am not confirming the rumor…just simply stating my feelings…as a FAN!!!!!!!!' Can you confirm, as a fan, your feelings about Birmingham City? Also, the club statement says that McLeish's previous 3 and a half tenure should not stop him getting the job at Villa should he be the best candidate. General, who else are we interviewing that has taken a club with a top half finish last-season, a cup win this season, and still manages to get his team relegated?

Finally, General, are you, Randy, the board completely f******g mad? (Mods no direct crudity meant).

Why has the manager got to be bloody PREMIERLEAGUE EXPERIANCED??

I would like an answer to that question please...

Mancini

Fergie

Wenger

Ancelotti

None of the above were Premierleague Expoerianced...Yet SOMEBODY(Who you should sack!) is advising you as such..

WHY??????????

General

One of the criteria for our managerial appointment is premier league experience.

Surely this doesn't make sense given the following managers in the top four last season:

Alex Ferguson - no premier league experience before going to Man U (he's done OK)

Carlo Ancelotti - no premier league experience and then won the double.

Arsene Wenger - no premier league experience and got Arsenal in the CL every season.

Roberto Mancini - no premier league experience and got City in the CL in his first full season.

Does that suggest or does that not suggest that having premier league experience should be one of the key criteria we look at?

Wake up Villa.

General, add Mourinho to that list. Surely experience of a top European league is enough?

From official statement "...and, most importantly, sharing our vision for Aston Villa as we know that without a shared vision any appointment, however attractive, will ultimately fail." General unfortunately the vast majority of our fans do not share this vision so what does this tell you!

Aside from the emotional reactions you are getting from everywhere, please consider the commercial implications of this move. As businesspeople, surely you must understand that this will set Randy's investment back years? Loss of season ticket sales, low attendances, reduced sponsors, low merchandise sales not to mention player unrest (what player wants to play at a club with such fan unrest). For the sake of all of this, please find a way of extracting yourselves from this awful situation.

General, I loved what Randy was trying to do with the club but if Mcleish is given the managers job then i will not be spending a penny of my hard earned money on a club that clearly doesn't consider the supporters opinion!!

The club has turned into a farce! You should be ashamed of what the board have turned this once great club into in a matter of weeks.

Every single one of the people above and below this post will support Villa until their dying day.

However, I think you will quickly get the impression that the Board have lost 60% of fans just for interviewing 'him' and will lose the next 30% when you inevitably appoint him (we know you plan to based on your defence the other night) 10% may just get on with things and put on a brave face despite not being happy.

You are part of the board and WILL be held responsible for this decision so if you appoint him PLEASE leave these boards and all other boards you are signed up to. We don't want to listen to someone who clearly doesn't give a cr*p about us. For the first time you are up there with the Glazers and Gillets in showing you have no understanding of the British game and British fans. This is a proper sport that has been going for over a hundred years and fifty years and not some sport that was made for TV like the Americans. We don't have franchises, we don't move (see Milton Keynes Dons) and we understand real passion, emotion and rivalries. You will be revealed for being nothing more than a PR outlet for the club. YOU ARE NOT A REAL FAN - UNLESS YOU'RE SUGGESTING YOU'RE IN THE 1% WHO ARE PUTTING ON A BRAVE FACE (AND EVEN THEN DON'T REALLY LIKE THIS SITUATION)

We are collectively disgusted at this turn of events, from seasoned supporters to new additions. This is WORSE than anything Doug Ellis ever did. I can guarantee the Board will be hounded out if this goes further than an interview - it's going to take some repairs as it is.

With the WORST manager you could choose as far as the fans are concerned, no sponsors, no players and no shirt you must be considered the WORST board in the country at the current time. It can only be described as inept. Calls to sell up will come thick and fast unless you're willing to spend £500m this year AND McLeish reveals a Aston Villa tattoo in the midst of a 20 game unbeaten run.

You say you asked for experts opinions, best fits etc etc but, whilst we understand you can't choose based on fan favourites, to say you basically don't care if we don't like him is the biggest slap in the face many fans will ever have experienced. There is a case for disregarding some fan displeasure (we can be over sensitive or protective or even deluded occasionally) but the fans DO know more than any 'experts' you have at the club when they, in a collective voice, say NO!

OR by you're saying you understand but he's best available (with two relegations) just shows how low we have sunk and is ultimately your responsibility too.

I DIDN'T THINK YOU/ THE BOARD WE'RE THIS STUPID. Desperation is no excuse.

I just would like to say how utterly disgusted I am with the board. Only people who do not understand football would ever consider approaching the manager of our bitter rivals, a man who got them relegated no less. You further prove you are not the people I want running my club. We don't crave success at any cost, I am happy to win nothing ever as long as I feel I can support my club. You are ruining my club, but you think you are improving it. That is the problem.

So I say in a strong voice, go home please. Get out of our football club. I do not want you people here. GO GO GO GO .

GET OUT.

Hi General,

Normally I like to be bought dinner before getting rodgered. Can I have a Balti Pie?

I think if the rumours are true and McLeish is successful you will be making a big mistake. But then you guys didn't listen to the fans regarding Houllier either and instead chose to use your "advisors with football knowledge".

When you see them next can you ask if they have any vacancies cos my wife is currently looking for a job and she knows **** all about soccerball?

general, unless you guys have something really special up your sleeves and this all turns out to be smoke and mirrors, i can safely say that the chances of randy, mcleish, faulkner and even yourself being made to feel very unwelcome at villa park are extremely high in the immediate future. for all the money randy has put into this club, this seems like one of the most ridiculous mistakes i have ever seen anyone make in any business. it doesnt matter how good mcleish could be for us at this stage, what has happened here is so unforgivable for so many villa fans that its hard to see beyond randy's time being about to come to a very abrupt end at villa park

its a crying shame too coz he's been absolutely brilliant for the club

so if this appointment goes ahead, pass on my thanks for the last five years and my regret for the poor decisions that have been made in the last month or so, and tell randy i wish him all the best in the future, because i really cant see him being around for much longer

General,

I understand why you have looked at Mcleish, but it should have been a quick glance and then look away. If he had done great things at the club, then we could understand where you were coming from, but he has got a decent side relegated twice; whilst playing the most boring, negative football seen in the premier league. You will hear some very emotional views, and will get a lot of abuse, but most of us moderate fans could understand this appointment if he had done something (the carling cup does not count in a season with a relegation). For me it is not that he has managed Birmingham City, that makes no difference, I would get no more delight than stealing their manager had he achieved something, but they are the ones laughing at us, as he has not proven himself to be a competent manger in the Premier League.

You (the club) released a statement recently after Roberto Martinez had declined an interview, and although many thought the manager of Wigan was not good enough for Villa, everyone could see the thinking; Young, ambitious manager who plays good football with an eye for a bargain and so, quite rightly in my opinion, we thought we had a window in on the criteria from which you were choosing a new manager. From this names such as Coyle, Lambert and Grayson sprung, and although these have differing levels of premier league experience and many were underwhelmed, we could see the thinking behind them. How does Alex Mcleish fit into this profile? Yes he has premier league experience, two seasons of relegation and one of struggles until a 12 game unbeaten run including a number of draws and lucky 1-0 wins ensured their survival and a 9th place finish in what was a tight mid-table.

You will not fill Villa Park next season, I would say that you will struggle to 25,000 for the first game - so from purely a business/economic point of view this does not make sense. I really hope that you see sense in this appointment and tell Alex 'Thanks for the interest, but you do not fit our criteria' and move on to a young manager who fits the profile originally drawn up.

I would urge you to think about this appointment very carefully, and re-consider very, very swiftly before Randy does irreperable damage to his reputation with the Villa fans.

Yours,

Mr N Skilton

Season ticket holder