The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

Sir Alex Ferguson last night moved to distance himself from an alleged associate who was the subject of a Channel Four undercover investigation into the illegal ownership of football clubs.

The Football Association will look into allegations made by the Dispatches programme that London Nominees – a football investment fund – are helping rich foreign investors break FA rules that prevent individuals from owning more than one club.

The documentary secretly filmed Bryan Robson, the former Manchester United and England captain, who works with London Nominees, promising that Ferguson and his other contacts in English football management would loan players to clubs bought by the fund's potential investors.

The key person in the fund was Thai businessman Joe Sim, a senior figure in Thai football who claimed to be a close friend of Ferguson and said that he could persuade the United manager to loan players to lower division clubs bought by his investors. Ferguson's lawyers said that Sim had over-stated the closeness of his relationship with the United manager.

The club identified as a prime target by Sim and London Nominees was Sheffield United but they also claimed that the likes of Leeds United, Cardiff City, Leicester City and Oxford United were available for acquisition. The stated purpose of the fund was to buy a club cheaply, achieve promotion to the Premier League and then sell up for a major profit.

As well as Robson claiming that his connections with the likes of Harry Redknapp, Steve Bruce, Alex McLeish and Kenny Dalglish would mean a supply of loan players – which those involved all denied when questioned by Channel Four – he said that profits could be made by selling and relocating club's training grounds.

Robson, who was manager of the Thailand national team for two years and is a global ambassador for Manchester United, said in last night's broadcast: "I disagree with people when they say football is a sport. Football lost its sporting thing when all the money from Sky TV and that [came in]. Football is a business."

Sim was also recorded saying that he was involved in the acquisition of up to three football clubs. He claimed that one of his associates was the Singapore businessman Peter Lim who tried to buy Liverpool last year.

What steps are being taken to clear our managers name from involvement in the above? I dont want our manager, or our club to have bad press in the world of football. Are we a club that has a manager that is said will loan out our players to help clubs owned by dodgy businessmen?

Morning General

Can you tell me if the club would see fit to potentially sign players from foreign markets such as asia, there is a clear case for business on and off the pitch, park from man u is a prime example of this, extra revenue from this could lead to villa going forward in a big way.

Hi General, just wanted to get your opinion on Dave Whelan who has once again used our club to better his reputation with his fans. I know we do not conduct business in the media but surely the drivel that this clown has come out with of late is not helping our summer recruitment plans?

General,

When you return in a weeks time perhaps you could answer this one:

With our manager saying we are only looking at signing one more player before the season starts, where has the money brought in for both Young and Downing gone? That is, of course, me daring to presume that it's not a £30million super star signing. I know, it's hard to presume such a thing.

Please give us the truth. That's all we want. Where has the £37million brought in gone?

You recently told us that we are only doing what Manchester United are doing, which caused a bit of bemusement on these boards. Do you honestly think that this is correct? Can you give us an example of this?

Finally, can you confirm or not whether the club has got plans should it be relegated in the forthcoming season? Will the £20million profit from this summer's dealings perhaps go into an 'emergency fund' to cover the costs of such a bad performance?

bbcwmmiketaylor Mike Taylor

by philmcnulty

Alex McLeish tells BBC WM that #avfc will make "one more signing" before start of new season. interview to follow on 95.6FM

From the mouth of the ship steerer himself!

Do the club seriously want to put this club in genuine danger of going down next season?

Get rid of 14 players, including important players such as Reo Coker, Young, Downing, Friedel, Cuellar, along with squad players. Alex McLiesh said the club are looking at the very least to improve on last years position of 9th, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that buying just one out field player is going to strengthen the squad. Our team has weakened considerably if the case, whether or not we sign N'Zogbia, it showed during mid-season that we cannot put too much responsibility on our young players back. We'd have no chance if we have an injury crisis this season.

Surely if the club wanted to keep Young and Downing then their freed up wages and their £36-£40m in transfer fees would be a bonus to the club am I right? Should be reinvested yeah?

Not to mention all the other big earners who have left and might still leave.

Their are a lot of disenchanted fans who are starting to think more about consolidating our place in the premier league, rather than aiming for the top 6. Top 4 is a dream that died last summer.

How can we say signing 1 outfield player after losing so many of our best players is gonna be good for our upcoming season(s)? We are a laughing stock at the moment amongst other clubs fans. Its all good to say, just wait and see what happens in the season, but the outlook looks dismal.

Lerner is quickly going from hero to zero. Please don't slap me, we are the laughing stock of the clubs we have been competing with over the past years. It looks like Randy is trying to cut his losses and sell up.

General,

If what AM has said about only getting one more player in then I'm afraid I'm done with our current board, where is the £ that we've made from yet more sales of top players?

If Randy can't invest in the club anymore then I genuinely suggest he sells up and leaves, I never thought I'd say that and that saddens me.

IF the claim that AM has said we will only make one more signing is true, do you feel your comments a while ago about Randy Lerner backing the manager and preferring Actions to Words now look very hollow?

Is Randy Lerner lining the club up for sale? If so he had better do it before we are relegated!

General,

This is the first time i've chosen to send a message to you and it is through sheer anger and disappointment that i'm doing so.

In an earlier post you promised us fans that McLeish would be backed by Mr Lerner only for us now to be told that we can only expect one more signing before the season starts.

Do the board understand how this makes us feel? We feel lied to and we have every right to feel that way.

If it's a case of signings will be made after the start of the season but before the end of the transfer window then why would Mr McLeish even bother saying anything? the board chose to appoint a manager who the fans were completely against and now to be told we're going to start the season roughly 14 players lighter is extremely disappointing.

I look forward to hearing something positive because we don't want another poor season, we deserve something good to happen to us.

Best Wishes

Hi Gen , i don't want too jump the gun BUT and i mean BUT if wat AM is saying is ture ... Wat is going on and wheres our club money gone???????????????

Young £16mil

Downing £20mil

Milner £18mil

carlos £2mil looks like

but if reports are ture bent that we used the Milners money , wheres the 38mil gone.. 3.5mil for given AND i would think if we sign Zog for 10mil so wheres the 24.5mil gone??? and the tv money - wats going on here!!!!!!!!

You said McLeish will be backed, but it seems we won't even be using all of the Downing money. Also, where has the Young money gone to? We've released/sold many players that's lowered the wage bill. Wher has that money gone to?

I think it's about time you stopped treating fans like mugs and admit the truth.

Lerner doesn't use his own money guys...

The free scarves were sanctioned by the remaining scarves being £10 a pop.

The free travel to Chelsea, well that was covered by a season ticket rise.

The money for players, yep thats from TV rights and money from players sold.

Do you and Randy have rather large pockets General? ;)