The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

Hi General,

I feel some sort of club statement would be of great benefit to the the fans and everyone involved with the club. I think the fanbase need reassurance with regard to the forthcoming season. I know Randy doesn't like the limelight and thats fair enough but we need someone to speak for the club. To think its not even a year since MON left... Its been one hell of a tough 12 months for the everyone involved it would be nice to hear some sort off rallying call.

General,

Despite my earlier admittance that I wasnt going to spend another penny, I've ordered my Fulham ticket today, you see its in our blood we cant just switch it on and off, I sometimes wish I could. So me and my mates shall be there, as usual showing our comittment to our beloved club. One thing I ask of the board is you best make sure we've got a squad who are able to compete in the top 8 of the league when the season starts. Otherwise get ready for the back lash.

Ok what's been said by McLeish might be a bluff, if it is, I think it's very unwise. Moral is pretty low and saying these things are pretty stupid in my opinion. The only thing that could be more stupid would be the statement being true.

General it seems your don't believe everything you hear in the media message isn't working on a lot of fans.

That's very unfortunate, as once again it has been proved that they have twisted a story into a negative. You have now had the backlash :(

General

It seems that some of our fanbase have been caught hook line and sinker by another load of shitstirring by the local media. However please let it be known that the majority of fans are not as gullible or easily led as some of the embarassing messages above, and most fans are waiting patiently for Alex McLeish to build a team to do well. We are prepared to give him time!

My question is this: do you plan any more fans open days to Bodymoor Heath as I'd be intrigued to see the training facilities.

When I was a student, sometimes there were exams I did not get to prepare very well for. Some were less important and some were put on the morning after another etc.

This is how I view this summer and coming season; arriving at the exam venue without studying, thinking everything will be alright. With this squad, with this many troublemakers, has-beens and drifters, youth and lack of depth - we are going to struggle immensely! I can accept lack of money and lack of guts from the board, I also understand the situation given Man City spending billions. However, I do not accept being lied to and the lack of communication going on. Extremely poor handling of the fans, disrespectful even. I went to Villa Park once last season (even though I do not live nearby) and spent a small fortune, even taking with me a few friends who weren't Villans. They haven't become fans either, given we lost 0-1 to Wolverhampton at home! The thing is; this season I will not bother showing up. That is how I respond to the abovementioned. I can handle us being crap again, and we are most certainly going to finish 10th - 18th this season, but I do not like what is going on in the background.

So action will be Given and one other player, words from our new manager......god help us all. General, what did you mean by action specifically if it was not regarding players as the manager has now told us?

General the board appointted a manager that the vast majority of Villa fans never wanted and think is poor. Now if what he says about one more signing is true Randy is making it impossible to do a good job. Why would Randy do that.

"We're trying to sign another one, and trying to replace the players who have left with players who are at the club," he said. (Quote from Sky Sports News Article)

General,

We are £35 Million-worth of players worse off than last season in which we were in a relegation dog-fight all year round. Yet as we hear from direct quotes (many fans- question articles without direct quotes) that what we are replacing them with are either fringe players or youth players. My question is on a scale of 1-10 (10 being very confident):

How confident are you that these players will be able to step up and be able to play against the likes of Rooney, Nasri, A Young and the Yaya Toure's of the league?

General,

Given that you have said that Randy will back the manager on this forum and I have no reason to doubt that. Given that it has previously been mentioned how small our squad is before the end of the season. Given we have lost so many players in close season, 3 of significance and a number of others you would agree are at least 1st team squad members if not better.

Then Alex concludes we only need Given and one other.....Randy must be questioning his appointment of Alex following that statement given our squad size and now depleted quality???

With a chairman ready to back you, a depleted squad, the loss of at least 3 key players and arguably around 10 players from the playing squad. You would expect the manager to want to sign more wouldn't you? Expect to sign more? Surely? Am I missing something because this is baffling

General I guess I'll have to wait until our next signing and you conveniently finding some spare time on the same day for an answer but.

Do you find anything wrong in using this message board to mislead fans and just be part of the PR spin at the club?

General,

I don't like using other clubs as examples but I think it's necessary at the moment. Liverpool, like us, had an appaling 2010/2011 campaign and some of their fans were actually fearing relegation. It came to a point where they did something about it. They brought in a new investor accompanied by a new manager backed up with a huge transfer kitty. This was obviously given to help take them back to where they belong; a top 4 side ATLEAST. I will admit the new campaign hasn't started yet but their fans, staff and players can go in CONFIDENT. They are improving their squad with quality and depth. I actually believe they will be back in the big time next year.

That brings us into the problem though. There's nothing going for me at the moment that makes me, amongst every other fan feel confident. I'm looking at the appoitment of the manager which I'm slowly digesting now, but to hear the quote yesterday that we are only to expect 1 more player? I turn to the board, because it's you guys that aren't making the money avaliable. A blind man could see we aren't prepared. Oh General, look; prepared. Isn't that the club motto? "To play to the best of our ability; the involve our fans in everything we do; to champion the game of football and to be active members of our local community". It's all one great lie at the moment and you don't need an expert to tell you the club is going DOWNHILL. From what we were to what we are now is embarrassing. I'm trying to find excuses for myself that the money might not be available but it should be, it should be. What makes you think the squad now is going to cope this forthcoming season? We had a shocker last season, I thought it was going to be a one off. We've lost our 2 best players and you honestly think that's going to help improve us, make us battle for a European spot? Wow... I hope to God you prove us all wrong....

General, a few days ago you said:

I may be completely wrong but here is what I think: I think that AM will surprise you and be a strong Manager for our Club. I think that our Squad will be much stronger than any of you give us credit for and I think that they will make us proud.

Yesterday, Alex McLeish said:

Alex McLeish tells BBC WM that #avfc will make "one more signing" before start of new season. interview to follow on 95.6FM

You also said:

I will forget the fact that you called me a liar...although I can tell you that I would not let you get away with that type of insult if we were fact to face. You can call me a lot of things but the day you start questioning my integrity is the day you need to cool your jets.

Now, if we were face to face, I doubt I'd go as far as to call you a plain liar but I would ask what has changed between yesterday evening and when you wrote that post - care to answer that on here?

Gen

If the board has changed it's focus and ambitions, do you not think that it would only be fair to clarify this with the fans? We havent heard from Randy for a long time, and I dont think it's too much to ask for a little bit of honesty from the club.

If the wage bill needs to be cut and players have to be sold to bring us back into the black, because Lerner is no longer prepared to bankroll the club, then fair enough, but surely we should be told this rather than getting our hopes up with posts such as your previous one.

There HAS been an undoubted change in spending policy from the club, lets please not deny this, lest we forget that last season also saw us making a profit by selling our best player. This carry on from the club that we continue to strive for improvement really needs to be qualified with disclosure of the financial constraints that are so visibly dictating our transfer dealings.

General,

I dont feel that I am in the minority in saying that I am more concerned about the coming season rather than excited. This isnt the feeling anybody wants and I am sure it isnt a feeling you, Randy etc want the fans to have. Unfortunately we all tend to listen to the press and what we hear is worrying, also the comments from AM himself arent filling even the most optimistic of fans with hope for the next season.

I understand that there are people far more qualified than me to make decisions on how the club should move forward but my honest feeling is that we arent moving forward and unforunately not moving forward in this league is moving backwards - moving backwards is what I think we've done for the last 18 months, I think under MON (and yourself Randy etc) we were at a crossroads where if we had signed a quality striker like Bent then we could have broke the top 4 possibly. Since then we've been in decline. This is just something that happens but what I would like and I think every other Villa fan would be a statement as to the boards goals for AVFC - is the aim still to play champions league football and compete with the top 4 or have things changed and if so why and what to.

Regards

James

General,

Has Randy got thick skin? because he's going to need it to be rhino thick with the firestorm that's coming his way. I feel it's time he made a statement about his plans and ambitions for our club. We know he doesn't like the media (does he have a stammer? our Brown's colleagues have intimated as such), but would it really inconvenience him to put out a statement on the OS?