Lionel Messi

AVFC-Prideofbrum

I think it'll be tricky for him. Barça is Messi's team. Messi is in his prime and not going anywhere soon. He also happens to be the greatest player on the planet at the moment and argued by some to be the greatest player ever. Neymar's not just moving to Europe. He's moving into Messi's backyard. All I'll say is 'good luck with that'. Oh and David Villa says Hi.

I always found the David Villa situation strange. He obviously rarely ever played in his natural position through the middle but he was excellent as the wide forward in 2010-11, then come his broken leg at Christmas 2011 but after that the press seemed to have an agenda that Villa and Messi didn't get on? I have no idea but that never seemed true, always had a good relationship on the pitch together? Villa no doubt was terribly underplayed in the second half of the season. so maybe there was something but both always rejected claims and on the pitch worked well. Always found that strange.

As you say though, this Barca team is geared towards Messi, they give him the ball wherever on the pitch both if he drops deep or if he's in front of goal, it's a case of 'find Messi'. I've no doubt actually that Neymar will happily involve himself towards this, he said so himself and said of his admiration for likes of Messi. This is probably for the first time, a test of Messi's ego now, whether he can accept that he's not the only one who players can look too or can do something so special to win a game. It could be the start of something beautiful and I hope it is.

Many people regard Messi as the greatest player of all time, but I guess many of those judges never saw Pele or Maradona play. The thing about Messi, he may have won European champions leagues and la ligas but he has never produced it in a world cup like Pele, Maradona and even Cruyff in 74. Guess at 26 this world cup is the big one for him. It will be interesting to see if Neymar outshines him.

Paul C you have opened up a can of worms with regards to your opinions on Messi. I'm not saying I disagree with you though. But the whole Messi hasn't done it in a world cup comment has been debated many times on this forum and it usually goes on for pages. Certain posters will have it out with you for that comment.

barca's obsession with messi will backfire

if neymar doesnt fit in with messi he will be sold

same as zlatan, eto'o and soon to be villa

dont wish harm but it will be interesting if he is injured for say half a season

barca struggled badly vs psg without him

Many people regard Messi as the greatest player of all time, but I guess many of those judges never saw Pele or Maradona play. 

A lot of people who think Pele and/or Maradona are better than Messi never saw them play either.

pulled out of a charity game in USA at last minute notice after 45000 fans paid $300 for a ticket, game was called off because of it. Promoters seemed really pissed at him accused him of defrauding American people

If ever you needed proof that too much football gets played then it's games like that.   From what I have read it seems the game was dubious anyway but that didn't stop the promoters selling tickets for it.  Messi had a game in Peru the previous evening and people were expecting him to jump straight on a plane after the final whistle, have a ten hour flight to California and play again?  I think the blame lies as much with the promoters as anybody. 

https://www.facebook.com/LeoMessi/posts/634082436611354

Disappointed by the management of the charity match in Los Angeles. I really wanted to be there and enjoy as I did in Peru and Colombia. This project is made for the fans, and that's why I'm very disappointed with the organization. A big hug to those who were going to support this cause at L.A. Memorial Coliseum and thank you all for your support.

Why you should go to football to watch a team, not an individual.   

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Â