Lionel Messi

AVFC-Prideofbrum

Ronaldo is always going to be more interesting and newsworthy to the UK public because he is a former Manchester United player.

gMrn3Kz.jpg

So yes, it probably would be reported differently as mainstream news outlets do have a hook,  but you have no way of knowing that for sure. 

J Cruyff says if he was still barca manager he would consider selling Messi after the arrival of Neymar. Absolutely bonkers, he may have a point regarding the fact that the two of them in the same team might not work, but surely if that was the case barca would look to offload the latter first?

Edited by av1

av1 you beat me to it, I was just going to post what Cruyff had said. Absolutely ridiculous, Messi is only 26 and still has many years ahead of him at the top. Also Neymar has yet to prove himself in a top league, when he has done it for 3 seasons at least, then we can talk put him at Messi's level.

This Neymar hype is silly, he is very skillful, but I would not put him in the world's top 10 player's at this moment, maybe in a few years but because of his age he hasn't done enough yet.

Edited by Voinjama

For some reason Neymar really gives off a vibe that I hate. Seems like he is full off himself, I really want him to flop honestly. Really skillful, that is true but he does seem like a clearing the woods.

For some reason Neymar really gives off a vibe that I hate. Seems like he is full off himself, I really want him to flop honestly. Really skillful, that is true but he does seem like a clearing the woods.

His personality seems quite the opposite, handles himself extremely professionally and very modest in his responses to any questions about his ability. Likes to flaunt his stuff on the pitch though, that said he is a brazilian so that's allowed!

av1 you beat me to it, I was just going to post what Cruyff had said. Absolutely ridiculous, Messi is only 26 and still has many years ahead of him at the top. Also Neymar has yet to prove himself in a top league, when he has done it for 3 seasons at least, then we can talk put him at Messi's level.

This Neymar hype is silly, he is very skillful, but I would not put him in the world's top 10 player's at this moment, maybe in a few years but because of his age he hasn't done enough yet.

I agree mate. To even compare the two at this moment In time is ridiculous imo. As I said, I do to a certain extent agree they may not work in the same team but the idea of selling the best player in the world for a unproven (in a decent league) rookie is

Foolish.  

HOw often have you seen him play?

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm not agreeing either. I haven't seen more than a small handful of games Neymar has played in, all at international level. I'd wager that's as much as most of the UK have seen of him, so it's amusing when people are passing these kind of judgements on him when really most of us don't have a clue either way.

I have only seen Neymar play about 10 - 12 times so admittedly not very often, all those games apart from one were for Brazil.

But the original Ronaldo (the fat one) even said Neymar cannot be judged against the best in the world until he joins one of the top European leagues and has performed there.And I agree with him. For all Brazil's international success, their domestic league is sub par in comparison, from what I have seen/heard it's not even the best league in South America. Messi has done it in arguably the best league in the world for 6 years now, and he has also done it in the best club competition in the world for about 5 years.

Basically my point regarding Neymar and Messi is that before people start putting Neymar on Messi's level he has got to perform in a top league for at least 3 years, and at this point he has not done, so this talk of him replacing Messi or selling Messi to accommodate him is ridiculous. Neymar is young and 5 years from now Neymar he may have performed as well as Messi, Ronaldo, Xavi, Iniesta, but until he has actually physically done it, we cannot put him alongside them. 

The praise is premature.

from what I have seen/heard it's not even the best league in South America.

It is by a long distance

Many rate the Argentine as the best league, I am also a member on Big Soccer, which is a forum which has geographical specific chapters. The common consensus is the Argentinas league is the best. Anyway I don't follow either that closely anymore because of all the corruption in both but I used to pre 2007.

Edited by Voinjama

I have only seen Neymar play about 10 - 12 times so admittedly not very often, all those games apart from one were for Brazil.

But the original Ronaldo (the fat one) even said Neymar cannot be judged against the best in the world until he joins one of the top European leagues and has performed there.And I agree with him. For all Brazil's international success, their domestic league is sub par in comparison, from what I have seen/heard it's not even the best league in South America. Messi has done it in arguably the best league in the world for 6 years now, and he has also done it in the best club competition in the world for about 5 years.

Basically my point regarding Neymar and Messi is that before people start putting Neymar on Messi's level he has got to perform in a top league for at least 3 years, and at this point he has not done, so this talk of him replacing Messi or selling Messi to accommodate him is ridiculous. Neymar is young and 5 years from now Neymar he may have performed as well as Messi, Ronaldo, Xavi, Iniesta, but until he has actually physically done it, we cannot put him alongside them. 

The praise is premature.

What league is better?

The hype surrounding Neymar is similar to that surrounded Saviola when he was young. Now 5 years from now I do think that Neymar would of done better then Saviola, but there are many examples of 20 and 21 year olds being hyped up, being said they will turn out to be the new maradona (as saviola was) or whoever, and then their performances from 22 onwards don't live up to the early promise and the hype.

Only time will tell with Neymar. But there is no doubt there is talent there

from what I have seen/heard it's not even the best league in South America.

It is by a long distance

Many rate the Argentine as the best league, I am also a member on Big Soccer, which is a forum which has geographical specific chapters. The common consensus is the Argentinas league is the best. Anyway I don't follow either that closely anymore because of all the corruption in both but I used to pre 2007.

its really not. Brazilian teams have dominated Liberatadores in last years, have more money and stars than Argentinian league. If Neymar played in Argentina he would have been sold at 17, 

OK that's fair enough. I haven't followed either closely for about 5 or 6 years now so perhaps you are right. I don't want this thread to get derailed like most do on VT, this is not about whether the Argentine or Brazilian is the best. The Brazilian is far inferior to the Spanish league and it will be interesting to see how he gets on  next season on La Liga.

I personally think he can play in the same team as Messi, good player's can make it work. It does not have to be a either or scenario with these two.

I think it'll be tricky for him. Barça is Messi's team. Messi is in his prime and not going anywhere soon. He also happens to be the greatest player on the planet at the moment and argued by some to be the greatest player ever. Neymar's not just moving to Europe. He's moving into Messi's backyard. All I'll say is 'good luck with that'. Oh and David Villa says Hi.

• Like 2

Â