Lionel Messi

AVFC-Prideofbrum

It'd be great if there was actually some decent and reasonable debate on Talksport at that time of day - there's plenty to be had, after all - rather than the trolling bollocks of Durham. Either that, or get Hawskbee and Jacobs to make their show twice as long!

Didn't know that, but am not at all surprised.

Anyway, back on topic, it's Messi last chance to extend his record (this year at least!) tomorrow. Barça play Vallecano at the Vallecas, at 5pm UK time.

[Edit: Actually Valladolid, not Vallecano.]

In a weird way I love Adrian Durham. He's actually a decent broadcaster and it's so obvious what he does is to wind up people who really need to be wound up.

Durham just winds people up, its quite funny when people phone in to argue with him, I do remember a few years back in the middle of his show he said

"Breaking news, Scott parker has retired from playing competetive football, his just signed a .contract extension at west ham".

Its the prat he does the show with i cant stand, cus darren gough actually believes the shit that come out his mouth

Darren Gough should be banned from talking about football.

I understand that Durham is doing what he's good at, and what he's asked to do. It's just a shame that we can't have a decent football show at that time on the radio instead, with reasonable debate. At the end of the day, I suppose more people prefer to listen to sensationalist bollocks, unfortunately.

You can get three or four hours of good football podcasts a week off the internet with relative ease. Football Weekly, The Football Ramble and the Villa Review are enough for me but there are loads out there. I dont like The Game though, it's basically a downloadable Talksport. People dont need to argue for something to be entertaining, this is especially true if the arguments are clearly manufactured.

Messi 1/10 on with most bookies to retain Ballon D'Or. At one point this year it looked as if it would be a close race!

35 goals in 24 starts so far this season, crazy how easy it is and how he seems to improve each year. His ability to read the game and off the ball movement I think have been the two big factors which have improved him most over the past couple years. I guess just keep enjoying what we are witnessing because it's unlikely we'll see it again for a very long time. I mean we could be talking about a player who can score 175 goals in two years of football.

Need to find the right words but he's almost carrying Barcelona through to records as well as his own records. Only 4 times they have trailed this season, in 2 of the games, Messi scored doubles to get the game to 2-1. In another game, down 2-1 at Sevilla, he assisted both goals in the last 5 minutes to win 3-2. Atletico being the other (scored 3rd/4th)

Games like Depor, 2-3 up, Depor tails up he scores for 4-2. Again, tails up 4-3...soon 5-3 Messi. Opener vs Zaragoza, they equalise, so he goes past 3 and sets up Song before adding a 3rd himself later. Doubles vs Betis and Levante, two very hard places to go to give Barca 2-0 leads. Mallorca, scores 2nd goal. Mallorca come back from 3-0 to 3-2, making it difficult but he goes again and puts game to bed. Today, not just the 2nd goal which was superb but the first goal comes from him speeding the tempo of attack of completely from nothing and 7-8 seconds later the ball is in the net. Just a series of brilliant and game winning displays every single week. Especially when you think 2nd top league goalscorer for Barca has just 5 goals compared to his 26 and he's still the 3rd highest assister in the team as well (as well as joint 3rd in the league itself) it's incredible.

Bah, what can you say.

Not as good as Ethan Moore.

Iniesta's brilliant, I love him as a player, and I wouldn't begrudge him the award at all. However, I don't buy into this argument that Messi shouldn't win because he has already won three in a row and will win more awards in future. As awesome as Iniesta is, and as successful as he's been with Spain, Messi has been the best player in the world in 2012. Therefore, he deserves to be voted the best player in the world for 2012.

• Like 1

Barca Accept €250m bid for Messi!! but he decides to stay

An unnamed Russian club triggered Lionel Messi's automatic release clause with a staggering €250m (£205m) bid for the Barcelona star, a report claims

Spanish sports daily El Mundo Deportivo reports that the club agreed to pay more than double the world record transfer fee, and offered the Argentine a €30m (£24.6m) annual pay packet after tax.

Once that sum was offered Barcelona were contractually obliged to accept it - but from that point it was up to the player whether he was interested in leaving the club.

The bid came during Messi's recent contract negotiations with Barcelona.

However, the 25-year-old rejected the move and signed a two-year extension with Barça that ties him to the Camp Nou until 2018.

Although the club was not named it is likely to have been Anzhi Makachkala, who are owned by billionaire Suleyman Kerimov.

In 2011 Anzhi signed former Barça striker Samuel Eto'o, making him the highest-paid player in world football.

El Mundo Deportivo said Messi rejected the Russian move because of his desire to continue winning titles at Barcelona.

He scored a record 91 goals in 2012 and is expected to win his fourth consecutive Ballon d'Or.

Neither is Messi short of cash - in March it was revealed he earns £27m per year, topping up his £13m salary with sponsorships and endorsements.

Every player in Spanish football must have a minimum fee release clause in their contract. Cristiano Ronaldo's is the highest, standing at €1bn (£800m)

Link

I saw this earlier but thought it was a total non story given the lack of quotes from anywhere other than Twitter. I am 95% certain the obligatory release clause in a players contract in Spain only applies to other clubs in Spain who might want to buy the player's contract out.

Â