Lionel Messi

AVFC-Prideofbrum

I may be wrong but were Napoli that great when he took them to the title?

Far from a great side although they had some handy players, a couple of Italian internationals. Maradona was an enormous reason for their success. The UEFA cup winning team did have Careca who was a great forward in his own right.

Just read on wikipedia

Maradona argued that the test result was due to his personal trainer giving him the power drink Rip Fuel. His claim was that the U.S. version, unlike the Argentine one, contained the chemical and that, having run out of his Argentine dosage, his trainer unwittingly bought the U.S. formula.

Still one of the greatest players ever. sensational player.

Maradona did coke for large parts of his playing career, it's difficult to give precise dates, he was officially caught with it in his system in like 1991, he received a very long ban, he missed the entire 91/92 season, Napoli I think cancelled his contract and he resurfaced at Sevilla in the 92/93 season and did decent there. He also had a bout of Hepatitis caused by excessive alcohol consumption during his time at Barca.

It's not likely that he used coke to enhance his game given the guy was addicted to both alcohol and cocaine, if you're addict it's likely that any benefits to abusing those drugs are going to be outweighed by the side-effects. It's not like he was doing half a line before matches to give him a boost, it was a lot deeper than that.

Oh and ephedrine, yes, basic world cup history this, he was sent home from USA 94 because it was found to be in his system, By that point at 33/34 his lifestyle and long playing career had caught up to him, he had returned to Argentina (Newell's Old Boys) and didn't do much there, hardly playing, but got the call up and mysteriously whipped himself up into the best shape he has ever been in (at least to the eye). He was playing very well at USA 94 and in fact scored a great goal against Greece, his celebration was a little odd and well, was sent home due to the positive test.

troglodyte is right, he might not play vs the butcher of bilbao but he gets battered pretty much every game, can remember seeing real madrid take it in turns to kick him to avoid yellow cards

not sure where it comes from, even after the del horno mid thigh "tackle" on him people labelled him as a diver

IMO in the context of modern day football he's very resilient

So I guess those debating Di Stefano with me must have grown up in the 40s and 50s? It's completely ad hominem and irrelevant to the debate.

This is what I was getting at.

I'm not saying you're wrong. But did you see Maradonna play a lot?

Because if not I find it hard for someone to make a comparison so confidently.

I always say Messi is the best player I've ever seen play, because the most I've ever seen of maradonna was the odd match towards the end of his career and highlights.

It's hard to compare players across eras anyway, but if you haven't seen both players play a lot then you're really only comparing stats.

When did Maradona start using cocaine and ephedrine?

Surely they are considered performance enhancing drugs, if he was doing it at the time he was playing, if he wasn't then its moot.

He's not the only footballer considered among the best ever to have doping suspicions surrounding him. You may want to look into Operación Puerto and the subsequent cover up (involving footballers). There's also a French midfield player that privately admitted using blood doping at a Swiss clinic.

I look forward to the day there is a wafer thin link with him to Villa and the VT faithful saying they don't want him because he's too lightweight or doesn't track back enough :lol:

Incredible player, 86 goals in a year is mind blowing.

People keep trying to find faults with Messi and his achievements. One thing people say is 'he wouldn't be anywhere near as good in another league', but surely the fact that he regularly destroys the best teams from Italy, England, Germany and Spain in the Champions League shows he would be good enough to be the best player in those leagues too.

Â