Lionel Messi

AVFC-Prideofbrum

Goals 22, 42, 50 and 56 are ridiculous in that vid. What a player. Said if before but if he wins the world player of the year 5 times in a row he'll definitely be the best ever, whether he wins the world cup or not. It would be nice to see him win it (assuming England don't) but they'd need a better defence than in 2010 for him to have a chance to make as big a difference as Maradona did.

People keep trying to find faults with Messi and his achievements. One thing people say is 'he wouldn't be anywhere near as good in another league', but surely the fact that he regularly destroys the best teams from Italy, England, Germany and Spain in the Champions League shows he would be good enough to be the best player in those leagues too.

his record against English clubs isnt really that hot, except Arsenal who he bit a bucket load against. In the many BArcelona vs Chelsea games I dont recall him scoring and if did was 1 at most

his record against English clubs isnt really that hot, except Arsenal who he bit a bucket load against. In the many BArcelona vs Chelsea games I dont recall him scoring and if did was 1 at most

He has scored in two Champions League finals against Manchester United though. He's gotta be happy with that.

He has a superb scoring record against Arsenal.

He has scored in 2 champions league finals against manchester united...impressive

Has only played once against Liverpool

But yes doesnt do well against Chelsea.

I would say he has been quite good v english sides. You cant just forget or take out his performances against Arsenal because it suits your argument.

and if a 1 in 2 ratio against a team is not that good, then fowler did not have a good goal scoring record against aston villa. ;)

Anyway I digress, I think Messi will continue to break records until he is 29/30. He won't suffer from the burn out George Best, francis jeffers and michael owen suffered.

Ah, the one statistic that is truly the measure of a great football player: the number of goals scored against English opposition!

All that aside, along with arguments as to whether or not he's the greatest of all time (which discussions about Messi always seem to descend into), we really are lucky to be able to watch such a magnificent, yet humble footballer so regularly. He's just **** amazing.

Troglodyte, no one said that, (in reference to your first line).

Just making the point that Messi has done well against the best teams from England, Italy, Germany, Spain etc, so the argument that he would not do so well in another league is not valid.

And in reference to your last line, no ****.

I think many a VTer could get a job on Talk Sport Drive with Adrian Durham. They'd be able to argue the case of "Lionel Messi, is he all that?"

How he "bottled" it against Chelsea, and is too scared to leave Spain for fear of being found out etc... :lol:

Â