Houllier Do You want him or not?

bickster

Do you want Houllier as the Villa manager after the events of the Liverpool game?  

387 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Houllier as the Villa manager after the events of the Liverpool game?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care

Right common sense head on here people...

I didn’t want Houllier in the beginning but I have warmed to him – he says the right things (hear me out) and picks what I feel is the best team. We do need to evolve to become a passing team if we are ever going to go beyond 6th place – MON took us as far as he could because he could play one way and his style of football was limited! For me this season is about taking one step backwards to take another two forward.

Now as bad as his behaviour was last night – I don’t think this was anything other than GH getting caught up in the emotion of returning to his old club. I’m not defending him, if i had been there i’m sure i would be as mad as some on here, but i genuinely think he will wake up to the fans reaction and regret what he said last night.

As for performances, well sack him now and it’s the board committing suicide more than anything else. He hasn’t had half a season yet, he’s had no chance to sign players, he’s had the worst injury crisis in my living memory, so he deserves more time. If we sack him the media would paint us in the same light as Newcastle and who would want to come and manage a club who sack managers without giving them a fair crack of the whip? Naive ones or Mecenaries only interested in the cash that’s who.

Someone new coming in doesn’t guarantee an upturn – in fact getting rid of GH would mean all the work done these last months identifying transfer targets and preparing for January would go in the bin. A new manager would most likely need longer than December to assess the team and formulate new transfer plans, and by then we’re into the tail end of a season with the same players who are playing shit now and for all we know play shit for this hypothetical new manager!

I think I speak for the majority of sane Villa fans in regards to the original article when I say:

**** OFF.

Really?

Check out the vote on here mate.

The vast majority who have voted seem to want him out.

A banner to that effect would thus not be incredibly missplaced, surely?

But what has wanting a manager to leave got to do with holding-up illiterate banners so that media can shit all over us and embarrass our club?

Point being 'getting our banners out' wouldn't really serve the interests of Villa fans would it? Because we want to win, and giving the away team a splendidly easy environment to play in by providing such hostility would not help is win one bit would it?

still trying to defend this cock at all costs.i think some on here would rather defend him,because its the manager they backed and they wanted, and they dont want to be seen to have backed a crock of shit!.

Fran. I'm not defending him at all costs. I've stated that I'm not happy with his comments from last night.

But I'm also not going to cry about the fact that "he signed a few Liverpool autographs last night but four WEEKS ago he didn't sign my mates matchday program".

Or how about... "He doesn't show any spirit on the bench!!!"... .... oh wait... "Now he's having a go at Warnock!! That b*stard!!!!"...

Boo **** hoo.

I'd rather keep my faith with the manager in a rough patch than moan about something that none of us can change.

IIRC you were disappointed with his appointment, then a few days later, after VTers were putting a good argument for his case, you changed your opinion and were coming round to him.

.. and now you dislike him again.

If he turns it round, brings in some quality players and gets us playing the football he wants, everyone will be loving him and all this talk of relegation and Martin "the best manager that has won f*ck all" Jol will be out the window and forgotten.

Sorry if I'm optimistic and not jumping on Houllier's back like you.

Now as bad as his behaviour was last night – I don’t think this was anything other than GH getting caught up in the emotion of returning to his old club. I’m not defending him, if i had been there i’m sure i would be as mad as some on here, but i genuinely think he will wake up to the fans reaction and regret what he said last night.

A reasonable post that fella, not sure I agree but a good post nonetheless.

I would though like to pick you up on the section I have quoted because I feel it is important. Although it is the first time he has returned as a manager he has been at Anfield a number times, in fact he was there only a few months ago for Carragher's testimonial game.

So it wasn't some 'first time in 10 years' reaction to an emotional return, he had been back, he had walked out that tunnel in fact.

I think this is a point worthy of note in relation to yours.

Hes having the same effect on this Villa squad as Ramos did when he took over spurs.

i.e Not a good one!!

Then Ramos was replaced just in the nick of time (before they got relegated. They really did look like relegation fodder, even though they had a top 6 squad)

He was replaced by a manager who cared and who had passion. The rest is history.

I can see similarities between the predicament they were in then and the one we're in now.

I know hes only been here for five minutes and the people calling for his head sound fickle and geordie-esque. But i honestly believe he has to go. Has to.

no..dont see it this way,if gh stays were in trouble,he carnt get the team to fight,were getting steam rolled by average teams..i dont trust gh & if hes trying to build a team who pass the ball like wengers lot..that will cost & randy hasnt the funds for that sort of team.

Good point Trent. I'm pretty sure Graham Taylor returned with Watford in a game we won 4-0, we gave him a nice reception but none of it was overboard like yesterday. GT's full concentration was to do his best for Watford and i'm afraid the same cannot be said for Gerard Houllier.

I didn’t want Houllier in the beginning but I have warmed to him – he says the right things (hear me out) and picks what I feel is the best team. We do need to evolve to become a passing team if we are ever going to go beyond 6th place – MON took us as far as he could because he could play one way and his style of football was limited! For me this season is about taking one step backwards to take another two forward.

As for performances, well sack him now and it’s the board committing suicide more than anything else. He hasn’t had half a season yet, he’s had no chance to sign players, he’s had the worst injury crisis in my living memory, so he deserves more time. If we sack him the media would paint us in the same light as Newcastle and who would want to come and manage a club who sack managers without giving them a fair crack of the whip? Naive ones or Mecenaries only interested in the cash that’s who.

Someone new coming in doesn’t guarantee an upturn – in fact getting rid of GH would mean all the work done these last months identifying transfer targets and preparing for January would go in the bin. A new manager would most likely need longer than December to assess the team and formulate new transfer plans, and by then we’re into the tail end of a season with the same players who are playing shit now and for all we know play shit for this hypothetical new manager!

Exactly this!!

Excellent post.

(If I can add one point.. Houllier supposedly has an excellent knowledge of foreign players and we know that he has worked within French Youth Development for the past few years. In January, who better to add to a squad with great potential? If he can bring in a few French-Fabian Delphs, we'll be laughing).

still trying to defend this cock at all costs.i think some on here would rather defend him,because its the manager they backed and they wanted, and they dont want to be seen to have backed a crock of shit!.

Fran. I'm not defending him at all costs. I've stated that I'm not happy with his comments from last night.

But I'm also not going to cry about the fact that "he signed a few Liverpool autographs last night but four WEEKS ago he didn't sign my mates matchday program".

Or how about... "He doesn't show any spirit on the bench!!!"... .... oh wait... "Now he's having a go at Warnock!! That b*stard!!!!"...

Boo **** hoo.

I'd rather keep my faith with the manager in a rough patch than moan about something that none of us can change.

IIRC you were disappointed with his appointment, then a few days later, after VTers were putting a good argument for his case, you changed your opinion and were coming round to him.

.. and now you dislike him again.

If he turns it round, brings in some quality players and gets us playing the football he wants, everyone will be loving him and all this talk of relegation and Martin "the best manager that has won f*ck all" Jol will be out the window and forgotten.

Sorry if I'm optimistic and not jumping on Houllier's back like you.

i was never warming to GH,i may have said the football we'd be playing would be better than under MON.but i have never backed him,or Randy for bringing him here..fair enough its you're right to be optimistic,but i have seen very very little to be optimistic about with him so far..he should be sacked for the losing 3-0 to liverpool comments alone..

if you can see gh getting 9 points from the next 3 VITAL games gh will stay..however i & most villa fans carnt see us getting 2 points from next 3 games..this guys is simply not good enough.ifs a fact that when gh took over we were a top 6 side,every side has injurys..liverpool without their trio last night! it wont be long before gh looses the dressing room or maybe he has.

We were a top 6 side and then we lost our POTS who was crucial to that top 6 placing IMO.

Yes, every side has injuries. Our issue is that they are all in the same area.

- Gabby and Heskey out at the same time.

- Stan and Petrov out at the same time.

- Milner gone and Delph and Sidwell out injured.

CM has been destroyed and we have had to bring kids in to replace these players. Bannan, for example, has done really well BUT, IMO, he would have done much better if he had been playing alongside NRC or Stan - a more experienced player.

If we had lost our spine like Liverpool - Stan, Dunne and Gabby say - we could, under normal circumstances, have replaced them with NRC, Cuellar and Heskey, but we have lost the first teamers and the plan B players at the same time and are thus on to plan C i.e. the kids. Plop last night were at least able to replace their missing 3 with experienced internationals, for the most part.

I didn’t want Houllier in the beginning but I have warmed to him – he says the right things

I've got to be honest with you, I stopped reading when I saw that.

Had you have bothered to read the next 3 words of my post you'd perhaps have carried on, but don't let that stop you from rubbishing my post for a cheap laugh eh!

Hes having the same effect on this Villa squad as Ramos did when he took over spurs.

i.e Not a good one!!

Then Ramos was replaced just in the nick of time (before they got relegated. They really did look like relegation fodder, even though they had a top 6 squad)

He was replaced by a manager who cared and who had passion. The rest is history.

I can see similarities between the predicament they were in then and the one we're in now.

I know hes only been here for five minutes and the people calling for his head sound fickle and geordie-esque. But i honestly believe he has to go. Has to.

i agree with this,and i know i for one, am at the heart of this so called geordie style supporter ficklness.but this appointement was wrong from day one.he was to oldto come back to the prem,had been out of it to many years,he came in and tried to change the style of play to soon..he has made a pure and utter shambles of this great club.

Â