Houllier Do You want him or not?

bickster

Do you want Houllier as the Villa manager after the events of the Liverpool game?  

387 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Houllier as the Villa manager after the events of the Liverpool game?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care

wish people would stop randomly saying "we".

speak for yourself.

The strength of feeling warrants the use of the word "we" quite clearly.

no it doesn't. at the least qualify your answers with more specific groupings like " a vocal number" etc, don't include me and others in your generalisations

if that houllier poll gets to 99% No then knock yourself out, but from fans I've spoken to in the real world, no-one's calling for him to go yet, we're all just a bit miffed with results.

Oh right so you make the rules now, do you? If "we" get to 99% then "we" can call ourselves "we" - how very good of you :D

And yeah, I've also spoken to a lot of fans who don't even know what the internet is, let alone VillaTalk, and they are all of the opinion that Gerard crossed a line last night.

I'm glad the fans in the "real world" are "all" just a bit miffed - nothing like a sweeping generalisation eh? Pot, kettle...

Vignal, Traore and Xavier were excellent buys for the price

they were a laughing stock from start to finish, all three of them

Cisse was certainly never a bad player, and there were plenty of other decent "squad" buys.

Didn't arrive until Houllier had gone, yes I know he was a Houllier buy arranged months in advance but he didn't get there until Houllier had gone

It's easy to make any manager look shit in the transfer market, we all know that.

Except that wasn't the point I was making, the point was that it was a myth that he knew lots of great French Youth players because he was their director of Youth Football well over a decade ago and even back then he signed the wrong ones, it wasn't about his whole transfer policy I was pointing out that his great knowledge of French players and their unknown youth players was just a myth

Anyone remember this run of "form"?

English Premier Liverpool 3-1 Aston Villa 28-10-2006

English Premier Aston Villa 2-0 Blackburn 05-11-2006

English League Cup Chelsea 4-0 Aston Villa 08-11-2006

English Premier Everton 0-1 Aston Villa 11-11-2006

English Premier Wigan 0-0 Aston Villa 19-11-2006

English Premier Aston Villa 1-1 Middlesbro 25-11-2006

English Premier Aston Villa 1-3 Man City 29-11-2006

English Premier Portsmouth 2-2 Aston Villa 02-12-2006

English Premier Sheff Utd 2-2 Aston Villa 11-12-2006

English Premier Aston Villa 0-1 Bolton 16-12-2006

English Premier Aston Villa 0-3 Man Utd 23-12-2006

English Premier Tottenham 2-1 Aston Villa 26-12-2006

English Premier Charlton 2-1 Aston Villa 30-12-2006

English Premier Aston Villa 0-0 Chelsea 02-01-2007

English FA Cup Man Utd 2-1 Aston Villa 07-01-2007

English Premier Man Utd 3-1 Aston Villa 13-01-2007

English Premier Aston Villa 2-0 Watford 20-01-2007

English Premier Newcastle 3-1 Aston Villa 31-01-2007

English Premier Aston Villa 1-0 West Ham 03-02-2007

English Premier Reading 2-0 Aston Villa 10-02-2007

English Premier Fulham 1-1 Aston Villa 03-03-2007

English Premier Aston Villa 0-1 Arsenal 14-03-2007

English Premier Aston Villa 0-0 Liverpool 18-03-2007

English Premier Aston Villa 1-1 Everton 02-04-2007

W = 3

D = 8

L = 12

MON's first season?

Right, I think I'm beginning to spot what's going wrong now. Randy obviously said to him, "You've got to at least match MON's record".

So Ged went onto Soccerbase to look up MON's results but got the wrong season - he got the middle bit of 2006/7 (somehow he must have overlooked the results before and after this sequence - W5 D6 L0 before it started and W4 D3 L0 afterwards) and now thinks that is the standard we Villa fans will be happy with.

Now if someone can just point him in the direction of the 2009-10 results, to see what he ought to be achieving with the squad he's inherited, we will be cooking with gas.

wish people would stop randomly saying "we".

speak for yourself.

The strength of feeling warrants the use of the word "we" quite clearly.

no it doesn't. at the least qualify your answers with more specific groupings like " a vocal number" etc, don't include me and others in your generalisations

if that houllier poll gets to 99% No then knock yourself out, but from fans I've spoken to in the real world, no-one's calling for him to go yet, we're all just a bit miffed with results.

Oh right so you make the rules now, do you? If "we" get to 99% then "we" can call ourselves "we" - how very good of you :D

And yeah, I've also spoken to a lot of fans who don't even know what the internet is, let alone VillaTalk, and they are all of the opinion that Gerard crossed a line last night.

I'm glad the fans in the "real world" are "all" just a bit miffed - nothing like a sweeping generalisation eh? Pot, kettle...

I'd simply rather not have my views misappropriated by others who assume to speak for me that's all. I mentioned other people supporting the manager simply to highlight my view that I think I am far from a tiny minority of those willing to give the manager a proper degree of time to be judged.

I don't claim my view is 'the view' at all, I accept that on this website it appears to be the less popular view here, but all I am saying is that there is a significant enough section of fans who aren't sharpening the knives ready for a bloodlust and thus the use of we in your original statement I felt was wide of the mark ( not picking on you personally, I'm sure others have done it too, just was the first use of it I saw at the same time I felt briefly energised enough to try and debate.

But I'll desist, and agree to disagree if you like on that point. Carry on etc.

Good to see the vast majority arent kneejerkers
To be fair there are a few on this site who have maintained a consistent opinion on Houllier throughout his appointment.

There are others who have come round to a different opinion on him as circumstances have changed and this is actually their right to do without being branded one thing or another.

It used to be negative and so therefore anti Villa, now I see the new phrase is kneejerkers when all it is is people changing their opinion based on events changing

Do you think people are wrong to change their mind and stick to an opinion totally intransigently?

I was prepared to give him time but last night was a disgrace,it was about him and a nostalgic return to Liverpool, we rolled over and let them tickle our tummys! Well that is not what you want from a Villa team, he showed no pssion but merely sat there admiring HIS beloved Liverpool.

The board may not be responsible for O'Neill walking out but they have made a mistake here and need to admit it and act before it is too late!!

How do you work that one out?

61% of fans on VillaTalk want him gone today.

42% of fans on Heroes and Villans want him gone today. Of those that didn't want him sacked - 28% want him disciplined by the club.

And that's just coming from Villa's two main messageboards.

What's this majority you talk of? The majority, sorry the "kneejerkers", clearly want him gone.

To be fair there are a few on this site who have maintained a consistent opinion on Houllier throughout his appointment.

There are others who have come round to a different opinion on him as circumstances have changed and this is actually their right to do without being branded one thing or another.

It used to be negative and so therefore anti Villa, now I see the new phrase is kneejerkers when all it is is people changing their opinion based on events changing

Do you think people are wrong to change their mind and stick to an opinion totally intransigently?

Mate I think Ulvers sole purpose for coming on VT is to wind people up. He does it to virtually every post when he doesn't agree.

I'm sure I seen him at the Sty last week wearing a blue & white scarf.

Oh and before the mods delete another of my posts I'll keep it on topic..

Houllier OUT !!

My opinion of him changed in a big way after last night....It wasn't even the football that changed it either, although that wasn't nice to watch as an Aston Villa fan...Houllier changed it with his actions.

It's sad really....

I was prepared to give him time but last night was a disgrace,it was about him and a nostalgic return to Liverpool, we rolled over and let them tickle our tummys! Well that is not what you want from a Villa team, he showed no pssion but merely sat there admiring HIS beloved Liverpool.

The board may not be responsible for O'Neill walking out but they have made a mistake here and need to admit it and act before it is too late!!

I really hate to say it but this is kind of how I feel as well. I was admittedly not thrilled with the appointment of Houllier but I certainly thought given the available options it was a sensible one. I too was more than happy to give him atleast a season or two and give him time to bring players in to play the way he wants to play but after last night I really have lost a lot of respect for him and that coupled with our abysmal form is rapidly causing me to lose patience. I still think we should back him but if we don't start turning things around before January I think the board should reevaluate Houllier's status.

My opinion of him changed in a big way after last night....It wasn't even the football that changed it either, although that wasn't nice to watch as an Aston Villa fan...Houllier changed it with his actions.

It's sad really....

Thats my take on it too

Houllier has to go!

2 wins in 12 matches!

Said we belong in 8th or 12th!

He plays the wrong players!

He plays the wrong formation!

He plays defensive football and we don't threaten enough!

He doesn't acknowledge the Villa fans yet salutes the scousers!

The "never walk alone" song comes on and he stand there like he's in heaven!

He's not a Villa man and never will be. He doesn't understand the club.

He can't motivate our team!

He's a poor, poor manager who has made our first choice defence look like strangers!

Houllier - just go!

Houllier has to go!

2 wins in 12 matches!

Said we belong in 8th or 12th!

He plays the wrong players!

He plays the wrong formation!

He plays defensive football and we don't threaten enough!

He doesn't acknowledge the Villa fans yet salutes the scousers!

The "never walk alone" song comes on and he stand there like he's in heaven!

He's not a Villa man and never will be. He doesn't understand the club.

He can't motivate our team!

He's a poor, poor manager who has made our first choice defence look like strangers!

Houllier - just go!

I agree. It will be interesting to see how long it will take the board to remove him if results dont improve drastically. Personally i am willing to get behind the manager for the next couple of games but it doesnt shy away from the fact i dont want him here, i just want to support the team as much as possible when we most need it and i believe that involves supporting the manager too.

Didn't want him at first. But I was prepared to give him a chance.

Although he hasn't had a transfer window, etc.. yet, our recent form is atrocious. We will slip into the relegation zone and I'm not sure he has the ability to drag us out of it.

Who'd have thought a home game with West Brom could be the most crucial game of our season?

This isn't JUST about him not waving at the fans. So please don't try and claim this whole storm is over a "small gesture".

I'm not claiming the whole 'storm' is over a small gesture. I simply made the point that I don't believe the whole issue over how he treats the Villa (or Liverpool) fans is important. In footballing terms, there hasn't been even close to enough time to judge him properly, so to call for him to go is, IMO, crazy. (Although admitedly, his continued ommision of Cuellar is baffling beyond belief!)

I can see where those who are angry about how he ignored the Villa fans, his comments etc are coming from, but for me, it's a whole lot of nothing and actually all quite understandable.

Vignal, Traore and Xavier were excellent buys for the price

they were a laughing stock from start to finish, all three of them

Cisse was certainly never a bad player, and there were plenty of other decent "squad" buys.

Didn't arrive until Houllier had gone, yes I know he was a Houllier buy arranged months in advance but he didn't get there until Houllier had gone

My bad, always thought he played for GH.

It's easy to make any manager look shit in the transfer market, we all know that.

Except that wasn't the point I was making, the point was that it was a myth that he knew lots of great French Youth players because he was their director of Youth Football well over a decade ago and even back then he signed the wrong ones, it wasn't about his whole transfer policy I was pointing out that his great knowledge of French players and their unknown youth players was just a myth

Fair enough, admitedly I didn't look back far enough to see the point you were making. There's no doubt he signed some stinkers (as does everyone) and I hope he'll be using his scouts well come Jan, not simply relying on his own knowledge of French youth players.

Â