Houllier - released from contract with FFF

Brumerican

A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?  

628 members have voted

1. 1. A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?

• Oui
    • Non
    • Undecided

Do we know when the press conference is today, I may sneak off and watch it(benefit of working from home :))

The Ginger SSN reporter is outside BMH and he don't think there will be one till tomorrow, he thinks they're going to talk about the Stoke game and show off Houllier in one go.

He said Petrov pulled up rolled down his window and asked him what he was doing outside BMH today, the ginger reporter said you've got a new manager coming today.....Petrov said...Oh yeah

i saw that, was quite funny :lol:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He said Petrov pulled up rolled down his window and asked him what he was doing outside BMH today, the ginger reporter said you've got a new manager coming today.....Petrov said...Oh yeah

Maybe Stan's not so sure about automatic selection every game for 90 minutes any longer. I hope so.

Do we know when the press conference is today, I may sneak off and watch it(benefit of working from home :))

The Ginger SSN reporter is outside BMH and he don't think there will be one till tomorrow, he thinks they're going to talk about the Stoke game and show off Houllier in one go.

Petrov having a little joke there??

The players had the day off yesterday I think??

Excellent appointment!

Out of the managers that were available/ interested, we got the best one.

He's experienced in the Premiership, won trophies here and abroad and presumably has a knowledge of French Youth players.

Just reading from Newsnow about reasons for Phil Thompson not accepting the chance to work with GH...Interested particularly...

"Had circumstances been different, I would have been delighted to accept the chance to join Gerard Houllier and work with him and Patrice Bergues once again at Aston Villa......."

Would appear from this then that it won't in fact be KMac as GH's assistant.

Liverpool Echo

That to me sums it all up.

I can't stand Thompson and glad he isn't coming - but look at the reason why !

Because Gerard Houllier will expect who-ever works for him (and I would imagine that is players as well as management) to work , eat, think and crap Aston Villa.

And there, for me, is the reason why he is the perfect appointment !.

We are going back to the days of GT mk 1 - and I for one, am ecstatic !

He seems to me to be a good appointment, at least better than most that were practically possible at this time. He has a record of success, is a well respected coach and is an intelligent man. He will know what he is letting himself in for and I suspect will be more realistic about the current financial realities of the Premier League.

I wish him well.

When initially asked who I'd want in as soon as MON left I said Mark Hughes or David Moyes. I didn't think about GH cause I thought he had finished with Mngt. When his name was touted I was very happy as his record speaks volumes. I actually think he is better than MON and he will take us to the next level.

When initially asked who I'd want in as soon as MON left I said Mark Hughes or David Moyes. I didn't think about GH cause I thought he had finished with Mngt. When his name was touted I was very happy as his record speaks volumes. I actually think he is better than MON and he will take us to the next level.

Quite agree I think we have taken a step up in terms of quality.

Just reading from Newsnow about reasons for Phil Thompson not accepting the chance to work with GH...Interested particularly...

"Had circumstances been different, I would have been delighted to accept the chance to join Gerard Houllier and work with him and Patrice Bergues once again at Aston Villa......."

Liverpool Echo

Because Gerard Houllier will expect who-ever works for him (and I would imagine that is players as well as management) to work , eat, think and crap Aston Villa.

That is the same feeling I have - and just how refreshing will it be to sign some players from Europe!

Welcome GH :-)

Off Topic a second:

I'll be gutted if we only win 5-0.

I've been to Stoke away last 2 seasons.. watching this one on TV.

I don't think I've ever been as cold anywhere as the Brittannia.. it's like watching football in a wind tunnel!

On topic: I know nothing about this Patrice Bergues.. is he supposed to be good?

Can I just second this.

The Britannia is possibly the windiest place i have ever been! An unpleasant experience to be had any time of year. This was the first away ground I ever went to as an away supporter and it just made me want to go back to Villa Park and bask in its glory for the next year.

Liverpool Echo

That is the same feeling I have - and just how refreshing will it be to sign some players from Europe!

Welcome GH :-)

Actually just heard Thompson on SSN. His reason for not coming is that the commitment required to do the job would mean either relocating or living away from home for four nights a week, neither of which he wanted to do. Having been in that position myself, I say fair enough.

THE MIDLANDER: Aston Villa fans must support their club... even if they can't get behind new manager Gerard Houllier

By NEIL MOXLEY Last updated at 9:27 AM on 9th September 2010

It's not often anyone feels sorry for an American billionaire. But as the cameras homed in on the directors' box towards the end of Aston Villa's defeat by Rapid Vienna in the Europa League play-off, a smidgen of sympathy coursed through this cynical body.

Villa owner Randy Lerner looked as grey as Marley's Ghost.

Kevin MacDonald had blown his audition to take over from Martin O'Neill and the onus was now on Aston Villa's owner to find a successor.

Fan-tastic: Villa supporters must back Houllier and Lerner to move forward

The cause of my personal compassion towards Lerner - and chief executive Paul Faulkner - was that he, I and every Villa fan out there knew that the managerial landscape was a pretty bleak one.

Martin O'Neill's decision to quit - and, in my opinion, the spiteful timing of it all - had left the New Yorker with a list that was decided thin on proven quality.

Villa needed someone with Premier League experience. That whittled down the list.

The club also wanted to appoint someone who wasn't in a job. That narrowed it down still further.

In the end, four were chosen. Kevin MacDonald, Sven Goran Eriksson, Alan Curbishley and Gerard Houllier.

It will surprise no-one to learn that Eriksson fluffed his lines spectacularly.

'The least impressive of the lot,' according to one well-placed source of mine.

Sadly for Kevin MacDonald, who was the overwhelming favourite when the process began, the six-goal thumping at Newcastle and European exit had chronically-undermined his chances.

That left Curbishley and Houllier. The Frenchman won by a landslide. His greater contacts and experience told.

Of course, reaction to the appointment has been mixed. That's understandable.

Most Villa fans have Houllier's Liverpool as a frame of reference. Never mind the two titles won at Lyon after he left Anfield.

On Merseyside, the Frenchman won a cup treble in 2001 and the League Cup again the year after.

Was that sufficient for a man who spent £100million when £100m bought you a squad?

For every Sami Hyypia, Stephane Henchoz or Dietmar Hamann there was an Eric Meijer, Bruno Cheyrou or Florent Sinama-Pongolle.

Was it sufficient when Houllier inherited talents such as Michael Owen, Robbie Fowler, Steve McManaman and a young Steven Gerrard? Or did he make significant in-roads at a time when Manchester United and Arsenal had established a stranglehold on the English game? You could argue all night long.

Lerner wants to be in charge of a club where his input is minimal. (Apart from financially, presumably).

He does not want to be in a situation again where one man (in this case O' Neill) can dictate affairs to the extent that should he decide to resign, Villa are left in a state of turmoil.

He wants a continuity. Some development. So that if Houllier leaves, the whole club is not staring at a huge void in the management structure.

I understand that there will be funds made available in January. But there will have to be some wheeling and dealing.

I understand that MacDonald is seen as the very fabric of Aston Villa. A Villa man, if you like, and he will be treated as such.

It did not work out for him personally, but there may still be a significant role within the new structure.

Houllier will never exercise sufficient power to weaken the bond between the club's American owner and the Scot. Of that I have been assured.

In finishing, I'd say two things. The first is from a personal and professional standpoint.

Apparently, Houllier reads everything and is not frightened to take people on in the media if he feels unfairly maligned. Fine by me.

But just remember Gerard, that we have had four years of dealing with O'Neill. Gloves off, is it? Well, bring it on. It can't be any more fierce than it was at times under his predecessor.

Secondly, if Villa fans are still undecided about Houllier, they should give the club the benefit of the doubt. And by that, I really mean Lerner.

He has been superb since he took over from Doug Ellis, spending almost £200m trying to live Villa's dreams.

Free coach travel, scarves, the reuniting of the 1982 European Cup winning team, the Italia-mosaic on the back of the Holte End, the re-building of the Holte pub, re-building the club. The list goes on.

I hope the Holte End sing Houllier's name next Saturday against Bolton.

As Heroes and Villans fanzine editor Dave Woodhall said to me earlier this week: 'Supporters naturally want to support.'

But if they can't find it within themselves back the Frenchman, the least they can do is back Lerner.

Clicky

Come back General. You are missing the Ged Lovefest.

We need to be careful or we will be getting a reputation as a bunch of very positive fans! I can't see the nationals reporting on this thread, unfortunately!

Loving the positivity. Hoping Ged can deliver what we are all speculating on here.

THE MIDLANDER: Aston Villa fans must support their club... even if they can't get behind new manager Gerard Houllier

By NEIL MOXLEY Last updated at 9:27 AM on 9th September 2010

It's not often anyone feels sorry for an American billionaire. But as the cameras homed in on the directors' box towards the end of Aston Villa's defeat by Rapid Vienna in the Europa League play-off, a smidgen of sympathy coursed through this cynical body.

Villa owner Randy Lerner looked as grey as Marley's Ghost.

Kevin MacDonald had blown his audition to take over from Martin O'Neill and the onus was now on Aston Villa's owner to find a successor.

Fan-tastic: Villa supporters must back Houllier and Lerner to move forward

The cause of my personal compassion towards Lerner - and chief executive Paul Faulkner - was that he, I and every Villa fan out there knew that the managerial landscape was a pretty bleak one.

Martin O'Neill's decision to quit - and, in my opinion, the spiteful timing of it all - had left the New Yorker with a list that was decided thin on proven quality.

Villa needed someone with Premier League experience. That whittled down the list.

The club also wanted to appoint someone who wasn't in a job. That narrowed it down still further.

In the end, four were chosen. Kevin MacDonald, Sven Goran Eriksson, Alan Curbishley and Gerard Houllier.

It will surprise no-one to learn that Eriksson fluffed his lines spectacularly.

'The least impressive of the lot,' according to one well-placed source of mine.

Sadly for Kevin MacDonald, who was the overwhelming favourite when the process began, the six-goal thumping at Newcastle and European exit had chronically-undermined his chances.

That left Curbishley and Houllier. The Frenchman won by a landslide. His greater contacts and experience told.

Of course, reaction to the appointment has been mixed. That's understandable.

Most Villa fans have Houllier's Liverpool as a frame of reference. Never mind the two titles won at Lyon after he left Anfield.

On Merseyside, the Frenchman won a cup treble in 2001 and the League Cup again the year after.

Was that sufficient for a man who spent £100million when £100m bought you a squad?

For every Sami Hyypia, Stephane Henchoz or Dietmar Hamann there was an Eric Meijer, Bruno Cheyrou or Florent Sinama-Pongolle.

Was it sufficient when Houllier inherited talents such as Michael Owen, Robbie Fowler, Steve McManaman and a young Steven Gerrard? Or did he make significant in-roads at a time when Manchester United and Arsenal had established a stranglehold on the English game? You could argue all night long.

Lerner wants to be in charge of a club where his input is minimal. (Apart from financially, presumably).

He does not want to be in a situation again where one man (in this case O' Neill) can dictate affairs to the extent that should he decide to resign, Villa are left in a state of turmoil.

He wants a continuity. Some development. So that if Houllier leaves, the whole club is not staring at a huge void in the management structure.

I understand that there will be funds made available in January. But there will have to be some wheeling and dealing.

I understand that MacDonald is seen as the very fabric of Aston Villa. A Villa man, if you like, and he will be treated as such.

It did not work out for him personally, but there may still be a significant role within the new structure.

Houllier will never exercise sufficient power to weaken the bond between the club's American owner and the Scot. Of that I have been assured.

In finishing, I'd say two things. The first is from a personal and professional standpoint.

Apparently, Houllier reads everything and is not frightened to take people on in the media if he feels unfairly maligned. Fine by me.

But just remember Gerard, that we have had four years of dealing with O'Neill. Gloves off, is it? Well, bring it on. It can't be any more fierce than it was at times under his predecessor.

Secondly, if Villa fans are still undecided about Houllier, they should give the club the benefit of the doubt. And by that, I really mean Lerner.

He has been superb since he took over from Doug Ellis, spending almost £200m trying to live Villa's dreams.

Free coach travel, scarves, the reuniting of the 1982 European Cup winning team, the Italia-mosaic on the back of the Holte End, the re-building of the Holte pub, re-building the club. The list goes on.

I hope the Holte End sing Houllier's name next Saturday against Bolton.

As Heroes and Villans fanzine editor Dave Woodhall said to me earlier this week: 'Supporters naturally want to support.'

But if they can't find it within themselves back the Frenchman, the least they can do is back Lerner.

Clicky

I'd say that article is spot on. I'm especially encouraged that we want to stand by KM in all of this, who no doubt will be feeling sore at the whole thing. Hopefully, he'll get over it and continue to do the fine work at Villa, whether as reserve coach or in any other capacity.

you've been sucked by the reform acquisitions ltd propaganda machine.

Its a terrible appointment. It's like bringing Peter Withe out of retirement to play up front.

He's too old. too out of touch, and the fire in his belly has long since gone.

I'll be proved right. Houllier will be gone in the summer.

Pull your foreskin over your head piss and drown yourself.

Â