Stephen Ireland

Richard

I do manage to watch most Villa games for myself mate and no way was he MOTM in every game he played. He has stood out in maybe 2-3 games this season. You also have to bear in mind that he is massively overrated on here so those MOTM votes are slightly biased

That's fine, your opinion and all. But the fact is he's almost nailed on to become VTs player of the season which is I believe the origional point.

Overrated or not we have a fairly intelligent and football educated crowd on here, perhaps there's something you're not seeing? Or perhaps the hype has skewed your opinion the other way? Regardless, doesn't seem like a player we should be losing to me.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He played deeper today probably because McLeish thinks we are no where near the level of Chelsea. He did pretty well today. Him and Bannan on the pitch with no Heskey allows up to play a more passing game.

His work rate has been unbelievable of late, his tackling has improved and the fact he is a very good footballer as well makes him stand out above the rest of our squad. Like Swerbs said, our most important player now.

He was good today and we need him to stand tall for us over the next 8 matches.

Agreed. Him and Herd really have to get on the same wavelength to battle for our survival.

Ireland and Bannan looked good in phases today.

I watch him closely every game and firmly believe he is our best player easily.

the problem is half the time no one gives him the ball.

he needs to be our pin point man beween midfield and strikers.

when he gets the ball he knows where every player around him is and 9 / 10 he picks the right pass

looking at the way weimann plays in the holes and making runs i really think those 2 and n'zog if he ever really hits form for us could be the key.

the second goal today watch when he holds the ball just until the time is right.

absolute quality player.

the problem is half the time no one gives him the ball.

for me the problem is he is too intellligent for our strikers :( If he played with Angel for example he would have thrived or somebody with a similar type of brain

Proved he can play central in a 4-4-2 today as well. Needs a destroyer playing behind him, hopefully Delph or Herd can come good.

Agreed.

I don't like playing 1 up front and before yesterday i didn't think ireland would be able to play in a 4-4-2 set up but he was excellent.

A week or so ago Ireland said in a interview that he doesn't care where he's played provided he plays and is happy. I wasn't sure if he was telling the truth until yesterday's game.. He is genuinely happy at this club and just wants to play football. I am really glad that Ireland has come good, it just saddens me that we don't have a better team around him.

He played a quick free kick in the first half which was sublime, amazing anybody saw it, only Gabby was quick enough(on his feet) to see the ball moving and run after it,

His work rate has improved immensely, one of the few positives McLeish has brought to the club.

He is genuinely happy at this club and just wants to play football.

:!: :thumb::thumb:

He wouldn't mind winning some games and scoring some goals though..

*edit* By which I mean, he feels he needs to improve his game still and isn't complacent just because he's now in the team regularly.

He is genuinely happy at this club and just wants to play football.

:!: :thumb::thumb:

He wouldn't mind winning some games and scoring some goals though..

We wont stand in his way Gazton . In fact I look at Saturdays line-up and think, hes our only hope - And hes yet to win me over tbh

• 2 weeks later...

If no one else is going to say it I will.

1st half was the best I have seen him play for us. All our play went through him and though he weren't really able to create much that wasn't for his lack of trying. Faded a bit second half but as always the whole team went into defend only mode. I dream of the day when we will try to score a second after tacking the lead.

Showed he has the physicality to play in a 442 as well - made a number of good tackles and interceptions.

Quite exciting really cos if we can surround him with some other players with a football brain (ie Keane type players) then with SI in middle we might be able to string 10 passes together next season!

Its only when you see him get gametime week-in, week-out, that you realise why he could be a exceptional player. His passing, touch is intuitive and its just a shame the others don't have the technical ability to compliment him.

I think N'Zogbia is the only one on his wavelength at the present, but lacks sharpness and fitness. Maybe its the manager, but you get the feeling we could see a totally different player under different circumstances.

All in all, I think Irelands definitely proved a lot of people wrong. He's a hard worker, a team player and (for me) a potential captain. I certainly would'nt be too happy if he were to be unloaded in the summer.