Andreas Weimann

Adam2003

He's got an uncanny knack of popping up in the right place at the right time. If there was one player to compare him to, its Gerd Muller, surprisingly, a stocky lad with a lot of heart and bags of determination. Although obviously slightly less prolific!

At last. We could have a striker with the sole intention of getting in the box and putting the ball in the goal. Forget the build up play and wondering on to the wing, hopefully he will be the sort of player who is capable of touching the ball 2-3 times a game and scores 2 goals, Inzaghi like.

He looked good at Walsall anyway.

He is a bit like the Journeyman Scottish goalscorer who played for Man City / Leicester Dickov !

Maybe a tad harsh that but certainly has the workrate / professionalism and attitude to the game possibly lacks the pace to be a real star . Highly thought of and more self belief than Delfounso . Big step up though even more so for a striker from reserves to first team premiership .

Anybody whose seen a bit of him, what has he got that makes him a good prospect and who would you compare him to in terms of style of play?
Brad Friedel (who saw both at this stage in their careers) has compared Andreas to a young Robbie Fowler. I'll take that :thumb:

Anybody whose seen a bit of him, what has he got that makes him a good prospect and who would you compare him to in terms of style of play?
Brad Friedel (who saw both at this stage in their careers) has compared Andreas to a young Robbie Fowler. I'll take that :thumb:

You'd take a striker who is injury prone, and never quite reached his potential?

I want him to be better than that!!

You'd take a striker who is injury prone, and never quite reached his potential?

In his early years Fowler was the most natural striker I have ever seen up there with Rush but then Rush was playing with Dalglish . Don't judge him in his twi light years bloke was absolute top draw finisher . If Weimann gets anywhere near that level I will be very happy .

In his early years Fowler was the most natural striker I have ever seen up there with Rush but then Rush was playing with Dalglish . Don't judge him in his twi light years bloke was absolute top draw finisher . If Weimann gets anywhere near that level I will be very happy .

Theres no doubt Robbie Fowler was a v good striker who should have been better imo.

However, because we cannot attract top notch players to us, we need to create top notch players. And while we seem to be bringing through a lot of players with potential, not one seems to be 'top notch' like Rooney was or Jack Wilshere looks.

IMO, we need to be aiming higher than being happy if they get anywhere near the level of robbie fowler.

At the risk of nipping a pointless discussion before it ever gets off the ground. The comparison was to the raw talent of a young Robbie Fowler. Not the 20-20 hindsight Fowler that we now know. In short, Weimann at this age is Fowler at his young age. What Weimann does from here on is up to him and Villa. I thought that was painfully obvious from my initial post but obviously not.

At the risk of nipping a pointless discussion before it ever gets off the ground. The comparison was to the raw talent of a young Robbie Fowler. Not the 20-20 hindsight Fowler that we now know. In short, Weimann at this age is Fowler at his young age. What Weimann does from here on is up to him and Villa. I thought that was painfully obvious from my initial post but obviously not.

Ok BOF, yes I took it out of context.

The amount of comparisons against our youngsters is beyond a joke really tho (not aimed at you).

If this guy is like robbie fowler at his age, or Gerd muller, then now hes fit, hel go and score some bloody goals like Fowler did at this age.

Seen it with Delfouneso as well. Just gets frustrating!!

Ok BOF, yes I took it out of context.

The amount of comparisons against our youngsters is beyond a joke really tho (not aimed at you).

If this guy is like robbie fowler at his age, or Gerd muller, then now hes fit, hel go and score some bloody goals like Fowler did at this age.

Seen it with Delfouneso as well. Just gets frustrating!!

I'm totally with you there. It's very easy and cheap (free even) to compare any youngster to anyone you want really. That's why nurture is so important at this stage. We've established that the nature is there. With Weimann though, his progress last season when he stepped out from Delfouneso's shadow and tore up the reserve league only to injure himself as he was breaking into the first team was very frustrating. I think he might just have the right attitude to go along with the ability he has. Fingers crossed and all that.

He's certainly not one to be bullied off the ball. I may seem like I'm hyping him loads, I really rate him, but I watched his movement and clips of the great GM... and I've got to say he's similar to him! If obviously less prolific as Muller (one of the greatest goalscorers of all time!) I'm not saying Weimann will be top scorer at Villa in years to come, merely his style is like Mullers and his determination as well.

I like him, not necessarily his ability on the ball but his positioning on the pitch.

So many strikers are bought for their pace or power but rarely do we see an intelligent player allowed to develop at the top level, games will simply improve their understanding of the game but we see players like Gabby preferred.

Weimann watches the game and attempts to stay on the shoulder of the last defender, a gain in place can come but a gain in a yard due to finding an arced run is something special.

He looks for that, hits a ball early and doesn't seem scared of sticking to his game plan even if it doesn't work, I think he has potential and he seems to be at the right club to develop.

Okay he has shown his talents at reserve level but you can always spot a player with the brains for the game.

• 3 weeks later...
Mackay expects Aston Villa striker Andreas Weimann to receive his first call up to the full Austrian squad in the near future.

The 19-year-old marked his full Watford debut against Crystal Palace last night with a goal and Mackay was full of praise for the former Rapid Vienna youngster.

Mackay said: “Andy Weimann is a top young player from Aston Villa and is an Austrian Under-21 international and I do not think it will be long before he is in their full squad.

“Villa have great hopes for him and you saw tonight [Tuesday], he was suited to go straight into Championship football.

“He works extremely hard, has a great touch and an eye for goal and I think to be thrown into the game tonight, and play alongside Danny Graham the way he did, is great credit to the lad.

“He slipped effortlessly into the group because of who he is and adapted to training.”

http://tinyurl.com/65k9e6c

Â