Andreas Weimann

Adam2003

I think Sherwood is going to love him. He worked incredibly hard, just let's himself down with his ability at times.

Sherwood likes players who are good on the ball. Though Andy's workrate might be good enough for him.

He really needs to hit the target more often, though 

Must be watching a different game to people thinking he is "terrible".

Constantly works his arse off  - he headed away a ball out to Kramaric during a Leicester counter attack.  That's right, a counter attack and he still got back - and makes the kind of runs that I could only dream about seeing Benteke make.  Composed finish when offside as well.

I like him.  He offers more than Agbonlahor and links well with whoever plays in midfield.  He's our best forward currently (not that that's saying much :D).

I'm sorry but this Lambertesque view of being good is the main reason we have been so dire going forward.

Constantly works his arse off  - he headed away a ball out to Kramaric during a Leicester counter attack.  That's right, a counter attack and he still got back - and makes the kind of runs that I could only dream about seeing Benteke make.  Composed finish when offside as well.

I like him.  He offers more than Agbonlahor and links well with whoever plays in midfield.  He's our best forward currently (not that that's saying much :D).

I'm sorry but this Lambertesque view of being good is the main reason we have been so dire going forward.

Lambertesque how exactly?

You need a balance between work rate and skill/composure

I think Weimann could be the kind of player who could play off someone who has more technical skill, but he isn't really the sort of player to create his own or other people's chances. He is a very limited out and out goal scorer who's almost never been played in that role.

He is like Bent only he works harder and has a better attitude. He and Gabby have the same issues around raw pace and lack of footballing brain.

Hard work over ability. You need to find a compromise between the two. Lambert never really seemed to go for the most skillful players, just for those who were hard workers.

Edited by WooJung

I think Weimann could be the kind of player who could play off someone who has more technical skill, but he isn't really the sort of player to create his own or other people's chances. He is a very limited out and out goal scorer who's almost never been played in that role.

He is like Bent only he works harder and has a better attitude. He and Gabby have the same issues around raw pace and lack of footballing brain.

Weimann has skill.  It's harsh to say otherwise, for me.  His first touch isn't great, but he's the best one-touch finisher we've got at the club.  You couple that with his work rate and running ability (lack of footballing brain?  He makes the most intelligent runs of anyone at the club) and you've got a decent player.

As you said, hardly played as a proper forward - yet still our top goalscorer (not hard!).  He gives us something.

• Like 1

Except that his finishing is not good. Too many times his shots fly straight into the crowd.

Hard work over ability. You need to find a compromise between the two. Lambert never really seemed to go for the most skillful players, just for those who were hard workers.

In which case you're wrong on 2 counts;

a]  Hard work over ability being "Lambertesque" - he's signed the most technically gifted players at our club.  Ability is what he wanted (as with most managers?!)

b]  That you're assuming I think Weimann has no ability.  He does have ability.  His finishing shows this.

Edited by bobzy

a]  Hard work over ability being "Lambertesque" - he's signed the most technically gifted players at our club.  Ability is what he wanted (as with most managers?!)

b]  That you're assuming I think Weimann has no ability.  He does have ability.  His finishing shows this.

a] He's signed a creative player - 2 years and a half after his arrival. This hardly suggests he is looking for ability. This is supported by the way he perseverated with unskillful players such as Gabby and Weimann - which lead me to

b] His finishing is average, and that's on a good day. And that's all he has, because his touch, ball control, dribbling and crossing are ALL dreadful.

Edited by WooJung

a] He's signed a creative player - 2 years and a half after his arrival. This hardly suggests he is looking for ability. This is supported by the way he perseverated with unskillful players such as Gabby and Weimann - which lead me to

b] His finishing is average, and that's on a good day. And that's all he has, because his touch, ball control, dribbling and crossing are ALL dreadful.

a]  Benteke?  Okore?  Westwood?  Bacuna?  Sanchez?  These are all technically good players.  Gabby and Weimann are decent (average, sure) forwards who were already on our books.

b]  We disagree then, because I think his finishing is decent.  Especially when taking shots first time.  His dribbling is also pretty good, but his touch isn't great (touch and ball control being the same thing?).

• Like 1

a]  Benteke?  Okore?  Westwood?  Bacuna?  Sanchez?  These are all technically good players.  Gabby and Weimann are decent (average, sure) forwards who were already on our books.

b]  We disagree then, because I think his finishing is decent.  Especially when taking shots first time.  His dribbling is also pretty good, but his touch isn't great (touch and ball control being the same thing?).

But none of them are creative players in themselves, with the possible exception of Bacuna, who was nevertheless played mainly as a RB and only started one league game since Hutton's return to the team - and today - Villa's first match without Lambert - he has shown what he can do. Okore is a CB, so techincal ability isn't the first thing you look at- Westwood and Sanchez are deep lying midfielders (Sanchez a defensive one, for that matter) and Benteke was supposed to be the main goal threat (as indicated by the fee spent for him), so obviously he had to have some quality about him.

As for Weimann, we obviously disagree. I differentiated first touch and control - One has to do with receiving the ball, the other one is being able to run with the ball (I come from Italy, so maybe the distinction just a "cultural" difference)

Im sick of people defending this man by saying he works his ass off, He's not good enough!!!

We have a lad who works in our department and he's a lovely bloke and he works his ass off all day long and puts the overtime in!! but unfortunately he is useless and constantly gets things wrong and needs to redo them. He is classed as dead wood and i have already put his name forward for the next culling. 

We also have another guy who only turns up 9-5 and puts no overtime in but his productivity is outstanding and constantly delivers the goods.

See my point, Weimann is dead wood.

• Like 1

Strangeways, no he isn't, he just needs to get some confidence back and be part of a team who is performing well and playing with some belief.

I go round and round with him, sometimes I'm annoyed then other times I think he does well. He just needs someone to instil that belief and confidence in him to increase his productivity so it matches his work rate and effort. Instead of just "culling" him.

Edited by Ingram85

Im sick of people defending this man by saying he works his ass off, He's not good enough!!!

We have a lad who works in our department and he's a lovely bloke and he works his ass off all day long and puts the overtime in!! but unfortunately he is useless and constantly gets things wrong and needs to redo them. He is classed as dead wood and i have already put his name forward for the next culling. 

We also have another guy who only turns up 9-5 and puts no overtime in but his productivity is outstanding and constantly delivers the goods.

No offence, but you don't make yourself sound like a very good manager of people. 

Your wrong, I'm looking at the bigger picture by getting rid of the less productive ones which in turn ensures the company as a whole is more productive which in turn makes the company more successful and keeps the business afloat...........

BIGGER PICTURE MY FRIEND

No offence, but you don't make yourself sound like a very good manager of people.

I thought the same thing. Give the hard working guy some extra training and encouragement and see if he improves. Instead of just ruining his life. Just stand back and let a guy flounder while knowing secretly that you're going to sack him instead of helping him and pointing out where he is going wrong and helping him? Hands off management at its worst. Edited by Ingram85

Â