Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

It's a very odd u-turn from him. Maybe he's not enjoyed working under Sherwood? It's the only thing I can think of that will have changed since he made that video. Otherwise he just comes across as deceitful or simply thick as shit. Like many others, I wouldn't begrudge him moving for £8m when he could have gone for free, it's just going back on his word that sticks in the throat.

Some of the comments on this thread are ridiculous.

The only players I can think of in my lifetime that have turned down a combination of -

1) more money

2) the increased chance of winning trophies

3) playing for a "bigger" club

4) playing at the top level in Europe

are Alan Shearer and Matt Le Tissier. Both of these stayed/moved to their home town clubs and stayed with them to become local legends, at the expense of them actually winning anything.

Hopefully Jack Grealish does the same for us.

I'm sure there are other examples, but realistically no-one outside of Aston Villa will be looking at this move and be surprised that he is leaving us for City. 

The anger towards him isn't because of all the things you've listed.

Are you telling me then when he said all that stuff you believed he would stay with us if a seriously big club came in for him? Thats crazy! Why would he?!

Realistically, we could spend £200m this summer and still be miles behind City. People are living in a dream world if they believed his comments in that interview and to call him Judas etc. isn't fair on the balance of things.

I suspect he could have left in January, but he stayed and helped us stay up. He also could have stayed and run down his contract and left for nothing, which he didn't. He was loyal to us in the short-term, and put a potential move and big pay-day at risk for himself by signing a contract, even with a release clause. I suspect the release clause was only for a Champions League club, rather than just any club, and he just didn't expect it to happen so quickly.

People need to get over it and look forward. For me he is a player that is associated strongly with the failures of previous managers and was a major part of one the least creative midfields I have even seen at Villa. I am looking forward to getting some new faces in that - score goals and make goals.

I certainly believed he would be here next year and not once did I think, based on his comments, that he only signed due to a low release clause being inserted.

Once he's gone, I don't care what he gives. No point in sniveling over it. Just need to focus on players who actually want to play for us.

They're aren't many of them
Even the ones coming in probably dont lol, already plotting their next moves before even kicking a ball. Not a very attractive club are we, feels like we just make up the numbers

I'd say mark bunn is game :)

Pete Colley@petecolley 18s

19 seconds ago

It doesen't look like Man City have triggered the £8mill clause in Delph's contract yet but they will and he'll be off.

It was triggered a few days ago.
How does a clause get 'triggered'? Pay the money? sign a document agreeing to pay the money? Firing an arrow at it from 30 paces?
Going on record to the club with an amount which totals the price, which was offered to them by the agent, so they knew what to bid.

The only players I can think of in my lifetime that have turned down a combination of -

1) more money

are Alan Shearer and Matt Le Tissier. Both of these stayed/moved to their home town clubs and stayed with them to become local legends, at the expense of them actually winning anything.

Hopefully Jack Grealish does the same for us. Sadly Delph is from Yorkshire rather than being a Villa kid, so his loyalty extended only to ensuring we got a fee for him, not to him actually staying.

I'm sure there are other examples, but realistically no-one outside of Aston Villa will be looking at this move and be surprised that he is leaving us for City. 

Not as funny as those defending him

His move has nothing to do with where he is going or the money he's going to be offered or anything to do with or any of the reasons you have listed

It is how he has conducted himself since signing his new deal

He has practically declared himself Mr Aston Villa and with some of the pure bullshit that has come out his mouth you would think he would of had the decency to stay at least another season

Why would he stay and risk the chance of a lifetime? A chance that might never come again? Its not about defending him, its about being realistic. This is not like when Southgate left for Middlesborough and took a sideways step to get away from us - that was a kick in the teeth.

We are a club going nowhere fast sadly. We will be lucky if we finish in the top 4 once in the next 10-20 years. People need to be realistic. When Delph made those comments, there was not an offer from City on the table.

Even if he does leave, I'm glad he made the comments - it was a good bit of PR at a time when we were struggling, and it gave the whole club a boost which might well have contributed to us staying up.

Seems like the FAs homegrown rule, which is many to help the England team, has resulted in an England international probably losing his place and thus not helping England. Yawn.

Exactly this.

Gutted about this.

• Like 1

No problem with him going, he will be replaced just as they've always been replaced. A good player who may or may not continue to develop.

I should think he now regrets those comments being as forthright as they were. I don't think you can hold the general sentiment he expressed against him, after all it did us good at the time, and he couldn't really say " but I'm off at the end of the season guys " could he ?.

For me it is just that by going the extra mile in his comments about loyalty I felt,and probably most of us did, that it was a very very pleasant change from the all too familiar inevitable departures to stronger clubs. I remember the Sky panel enthusing over it and plenty others.

It is that which leaves a bitter taste and as such I can understand some of the resentment towards him....it is always worse when you have your views improved by someone's approach only to find they are really no different after all.

As regards us, I've no problem him, or any of them, leaving. We haven't set the world on fire with those that were here have we ?

• Like 4

So many mixed feelings. The club haven't done great, with the big deal signing the contract and the recent marketing it may be Delph saying those things but it will be the club who have pushed for that to be done.

The plus side is of course he could have left for free but it's hard to take that as any sort of compensation as a fan right now.

I actually think he will actually push on with his career now and become top class player and won't rot on the bench. Not sure if I hope I am wrong or not.

Will have a Man City career reminiscent of Scott Sinclair and Jack Rodwell.

Delph will be signing for Sunderland in 3 years

• Like 1

1) more money

Hopefully Jack Grealish does the same for us.

The anger towards him isn't because of all the things you've listed.

Are you telling me then when he said all that stuff you believed he would stay with us if a seriously big club came in for him? Thats crazy! Why would he?!

Realistically, we could spend £200m this summer and still be miles behind City. People are living in a dream world if they believed his comments in that interview and to call him Judas etc. isn't fair on the balance of things.

I suspect he could have left in January, but he stayed and helped us stay up. He also could have stayed and run down his contract and left for nothing, which he didn't. He was loyal to us in the short-term, and put a potential move and big pay-day at risk for himself by signing a contract, even with a release clause. I suspect the release clause was only for a Champions League club, rather than just any club, and he just didn't expect it to happen so quickly.

People need to get over it and look forward. For me he is a player that is associated strongly with the failures of previous managers and was a major part of one the least creative midfields I have even seen at Villa. I am looking forward to getting some new faces in that - score goals and make goals.

I certainly believed he would be here next year and not once did I think, based on his comments, that he only signed due to a low release clause being inserted.

Fair enough. I didn't expect a release clause either to be honest. But I never expect any player to stay if a much bigger club comes in for them - its not how the game or the world works!

Christ, our best player is Benteke, and we only signed him from his previous club only because he went on some kind of semi-strike!

Edited by GeordieVillan

Â