Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clark is world class in a year or two. We have a 24 year old center back. Going to make mistakes. Lower your expectations.

No chance, Baker on the other hand...

ps wasn't it you who was waxing lyrical about Clark being a 'cultured' CB, which made up for his defensive flaws? What happened on Monday? Ball at his feet, didn't have a picture in his head, wasn't thinking ahead, missed a bread and butter pass to Delph, failed to clear it, got in a panic, tripped over the ball and got dispossessed. Bravo, very cultured.    

Not really, we have a lot of really really good young players.

Guzan, Lowton, Baker, Clark, Bannan, Westwood, Weimann, Benteke.

Of the 8, Benteke is currently world class. Guzan is about 1 point away from being world class. The rest will get there within a few years.

In a few years, all capable of holding a squad place in the England team, if they all were English.

You can't be serious. Even if all of those players were playing out of there skin, some would still be unable to maintain it, and fall by the wayside in future seasons

I actually think that this is what is thought at Board level - if you just keep playing younger players, eventually they come up to the required standard. Not that simple I am afraid

Bale is in a category above world class. Bale is one of the Great players. There are a lot of world class players compared to great ones.

Clark is world class in a year or two. We have a 24 year old center back. Going to make mistakes. Lower your expectations.

ps wasn't it you who was waxing lyrical about Clark being a 'cultured' CB, which made up for his defensive flaws? What happened on Monday? Ball at his feet, didn't have a picture in his head, wasn't thinking ahead, missed a bread and butter pass to Delph, failed to clear it, got in a panic, tripped over the ball and got dispossessed. Bravo, very cultured.    

When you make a mistake it looks bad. Some great keepers have let the ball roll through their legs. It happens sometimes. Clark would still be my first choice Villa CB.

you say he is going to be world class then tell us to lower our expectations :D

Some fans demand Clark - or any CB we have - performs at a world class level, every week.

One error and they should be sold or sent to a league two club to gain experience. They should lower their expectations.

Unlike an older player at his current ability level, Clark is getting better, so we should stick with him. With time he will be world class.

Edited by Con

no they dont. they want him to compete as a solid defender everyweek which he doesnt. ive said before he is in the 3 worst centre halfs in the league at moment and hasnt really stepped up his game this year.

he has made more than 1 error, he made James Hanson look like Edison Cavani

Some fans demand Clark - or any CB we have - performs at a world class level, every week.

One error and they should be sold or sent to a league two club to gain experience. They should lower their expectations.

Unlike an older player at his current ability level, Clark is getting better, so we should stick with him. With time he will be world class.

Just because you make things up in your head doesn't make them so.

Just because you make things up in your head doesn't make them so.

There have been massive overreactions on here (as usual) though. 

Bale is in a category above world class. Bale is one of the Great players. There are a lot of world class players compared to great ones.

When you make a mistake it looks bad. Some great keepers have let the ball roll through their legs. It happens sometimes. Clark would still be my first choice Villa CB.

This post ignores my previous points, as I've said it is the frequency of the mistakes that is the problem. 

I can accept mistakes like that every once in a while, but Clark just seems to never learn from them. He made the exact same mistake right at the start of the second half and we almost got punished for him had Tevez seen Silva in completely open space. On a positive note, I think this might mean he'll get dropped in favor of Baker to play alongside Vlaar (if he's fit).

• 2 weeks later...

He's been better but I won't be sad if he's not a starter next season. He's had a big opportunity this year and I'm not sure he's taken it, which is a shame. It hasn't helped that he's had a pretty dire midfield ahead of him for most of the year. He'll come back stronger I think but he needs to win his place back, I'm not sure we can rely on him just yet.

He's been better but I won't be sad if he's not a starter next season. He's had a big opportunity this year and I'm not sure he's taken it, which is a shame. It hasn't helped that he's had a pretty dire midfield ahead of him for most of the year. He'll come back stronger I think but he needs to win his place back, I'm not sure we can rely on him just yet.

Agree with this.

Don't see it happening though.

• 2 weeks later...

Clark at it again. Almost carbon copy of what happened at the man city game. Grim

Even though Im Irish, I'm glad it wasnt in a Villa shirt. When will he learn!

Edited by Folski

Â