Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said it in this thread a few months ago and I will say it again now, Clark's positioning is awful. I really don't rate him as a centre half at all. I never have!

Me to - I did shudder when Lambert announced that he would be our centre back for the future - but trusted him at the time - I thought Lambert could bring out the talent we were assured was there.

He has absolutely nothing though.

Edited by smetrov

This was a big year for Clark as he got the backing of the manager to play consistently in his favoured position.

I remember BOF saying after the Everton game when Clark was very poor that he was the better bet over Dunne since he was likely to make fewer clangers in the future as opposed to Dunne who was likely to make more.

I think that was a fair argument but the number of major mistakes he has made which have led to goals is now very high and you have to start to question whether he is any good?

The first 20 mins yesterday we really embarrassing - maybe even more so than the Chelsea and Wigan games. They made us look like a pub team. Of course it isn't all Clarks fault but he has a long way to come back from this in my eyes.

PieFacE is bang on. Clark IMO is a fine player that just needs experience beside him while he learns his trade. This is his first full season in the first team at centre back and now he finds himself as the captain of a bunch of kids. Yet people are writing him off. Honestly, how many times have we seen really good defenders come apart at the seams when they lose their CB partner over the years? CB more than any other position is a partnership where both players complement each other. Even the brilliant Olof Mellberg looked ropey when put alongside a young Liam Ridgewell because all of a sudden he was doing the work of 2 players. This whole team is learning at the moment. It's less than ideal because every position is learning at the same time as every other. We're scarily inexperienced but we shouldn't throw the babies out with the bath water. There is quality there. We just need to allow it to get acclimatised. I happen to also think Baker will make a fine centreback too. I just mean that in this particular thread, Clark needs defending (pun not intended), because in this current predicament he can't be held responsible for everything being thrown at him on and off the pitch.

but he is 23, he cant get away with being too young forever he has to man up. Bannan is younger than Clark and he is one of the most vilified players on this forum

e.g Cahill and Shawcross when Clarks age thrived when thrown in the deep end at Bolton and Stoke

• Like 1

but he is 23, he cant get away with being too young forever he has to man up. Bannan is younger than Clark and he is one of the most vilified players on this forum

e.g Cahill and Shawcross when Clarks age thrived when thrown in the deep end at Bolton and Stoke

I can't imagine either Cahill or Shawcross were ever in a position where they were the most experienced defender in a back four at the age of 23. I think Clark is "manning up" just fine. He just needs a bit of help like all 23 year olds will.

Yes it's not about age. It's about experience. This is his first full season. And he's the senior man in Vlaar's absence. Which is slightly surreal. I agree he can't 'get away' with that forever. But at the moment he can, because them's simply the facts. He needs some help. Hopefully he gets it in the next league game.

I think he has potential but football is about sink or swim at this level and unfortunately he is sinking even when Vlaar was in the team. Its a pity Baker, Vlaar and Dunne are injured as probably he needs to be taken out of firing line as I imagine his confidence is shot

I can't imagine either Cahill or Shawcross were ever in a position where they were the most experienced defender in a back four at the age of 23. I think Clark is "manning up" just fine. He just needs a bit of help like all 23 year olds will.

And Cahill and Shawcross played alongside centre halves with both premier league experience and international appearances.

Clark will mature into a decent centre half - i recall it wasn't too long ago that ManUre were sniffing after him. Far too early to write him off.

PieFacE is bang on. Clark IMO is a fine player that just needs experience beside him while he learns his trade. This is his first full season in the first team at centre back and now he finds himself as the captain of a bunch of kids. Yet people are writing him off. Honestly, how many times have we seen really good defenders come apart at the seams when they lose their CB partner over the years? CB more than any other position is a partnership where both players complement each other. Even the brilliant Olof Mellberg looked ropey when put alongside a young Liam Ridgewell because all of a sudden he was doing the work of 2 players. This whole team is learning at the moment. It's less than ideal because every position is learning at the same time as every other. We're scarily inexperienced but we shouldn't throw the babies out with the bath water. There is quality there. We just need to allow it to get acclimatised. I happen to also think Baker will make a fine centreback too. I just mean that in this particular thread, Clark needs defending (pun not intended), because in this current predicament he can't be held responsible for everything being thrown at him on and off the pitch.

100 % my view too.

What does he do thats any good ? - does he have pace ? - dominant in the air ?, strong in the tackle?, good reading of the game ?

To me he doesn't have any of those. He just seems to be there. He hasn't progressed since breaking into the team. Championship defender for me.

Â