Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

Lichaj is championship-level-at-best, based on the very little I've seen of him. Not enough to write a player off to be fair, but he's never managed to impress me.

He looks slow, didn't really offer anything going forward, but the clincher, for me, some very poor positioning and decision making. It took me a few mins to find a perfect example of the kind of thing that I've seen Lichaj do a few times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MmhQLqv-CMI think the angle of his run was all wrong as the ball cam across, he made it easy for the Columbian guy to just knock it by him.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's one of those players that has the talent but hasn't really found his position yet. I think he is definately a centre half but needs to bulk up a little more in order to play there.

FWIW, I dont think it helps any young player playing with Hutton, Dunne, Collins and Warnock at the back. Your going to look silly most of the time alongside these clowns.

Ahhhhh to have Bouma---Mellberg----Laursen----Young....as our back 4. Those days are long gone.

Clark is a top talent. Man Utd were sniffing round him at one point. He's never a full back. Very similar to Rodwell and Phil Jones, in the sense that he can do a job in midfield but will eventually be a centre half. His lack of real pace will not hinder him being a top player, as his footballing brain and reading of the game is superb.

This.

I've just watched the highlights back from the Wolves game. He controlled a lovely header down for Keane's first goal and put in an excellent cross at the start of the game that Gardner could have buried.

Despite him not being the best at left-back, he undoubtedly has talent and will eventually, hopefully, fit into our side.

I honestly can't wait for the season that Gardner, Bannan, Albrighton & Clark all have enough experience to be classed as Premier League players that we can rely on, or at least turn to, if needed.

Bright Future? :winkold: I think so! As long as we can hold onto some of the gems we have in our ranks (in Gardner & Albrighton's case, I feel we have 2 more Gabby's that would be willing to stay here for their whole careers if we wanted them to :mrgreen:).

• 2 weeks later...

Think he is doing OK - makes very few mistakes - good tackling and generally tidy in possession however he is not a midfielder in my eyes.

Doesn't have the speed of mind - AM talked about us being pedestrian in 1st half - that could be said for a lot of our recent games and I think part of that is Clark looking to play safe all the time rather than having confidence to go for early (sometimes one touch) pass.

Maybe with more games/experience he could get there - he was excellent against Fulham away last year with Bannan and I really thought he had potential to be another Barry (Gareth) so we'll see.

Clark was awful last night and was nearly as bad at Arsenal on Sunday. Bannan is a Championship player.

I wish we wouldn't over hype our young players.

We're overhyping because you disagree?

From where I am sitting Clark is a player who has impressed in several different positions for this club and is starting to become a Premier League regular.

Quite impressive for someone his age I'd say. He just needs to find his position which is hard right now as he needs a good partner (a talker) for centre half which we don't have right now while in midfield I don't think Petrov and him are the partnership against certain teams.

Ciaran is going to be a good Premier League player at least.

I think Clark's starting to struggle a bit in central midfield, when Ireland starts to drift wide right, then Petrov and Clark get overrun in central midfield.

He was a lot better at Wolves when he was moved and we had a flat central three of him, Petrov and Gardner.

Still a very good prospect though.

not quick enough for left back

not strong enough for centre back

not good enough on the ball or mobile enough for centre mid

where the **** does he fit in??

im not convinced personally, altho to be fair i would be surprised if he has played more than 10 games in any specific position

• 3 months later...

We run the risk of ruining Clarke. He is a CB - however we haven't seen him play there all year. Baker has come through and looked okay, is he now ahead of Clarke in that position?

Midfield he is ok. But going forward has his limitations. TBF to Clarke and Herd this season though, they have been chucked in at the deep end, with no experience, in the best league in the world. They've had to match up against Gerrard, VDV, Scholes and Lampard in recent weeks. Our squad is awful, and needs signings, but first a style of play, if we dont want to go down next season.

• 2 months later...
Â