Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am on the fence about Sven. At least he wouldn't have a huge buyout clause santioned by Randy and has good scouting links. Southgate would be a joke after his departure comments, let alone his ability as a manager. Hiddink I can't see happening, but Jol would be good.

The only bloke who i don't think i could bring myself to support 100% is Sven.

I really really hope he doesn't get the job.

can you imagine the wankfest the press will be having if Sven was appointed? Throw in Becks as assistant as well and it would be complete chaos :P Anyway, all this is new to us fans as well as this is the first time in a looong time a manager will be appointed by someone else than Doug. I think it is safe to say that the Lerner team has a far more extensive network within in sports (and presumably football) than Doug and Stride ever had, so I would not be surprised at all that we all end up saying "oh, that guy, did not think of him" when the new manager is appointed. The chance of someone outside of England being appointed is rather big IMO.

Hiddink would be the dream, but I doubt he'd come, think he's only just gone to turkey?

Descehamps? Ryjkard?

Really dont want any that the bookies are going for, maybe klinsman. Its a really tough appointment, it's got to be someone our current best players want to stay and play for, and someone who can keep us going.

I must admit that I'm excited that who ever comes in might look outside the premier league, just for something different

Dont get the Sven hate myself. Done a good job at nearly all clubs he managed and only job he really failed was Mexico.

Did a great job at England as you can see from their failures since he left

Dont get the Sven hate myself. Done a good job at nearly all clubs he managed and only job he really failed was Mexico.

Tghink hed do a very good job short term. Long term Im not so sure

I would hate Sven to be our manager. His recent managerial record is dismal and he leaves every club, country in a mess and taking a massive payout.

His style of play is twice as boring as MON's worst teams though. Negative, negative, negative.

On the plus side, he would be a big draw for players. He just wouldn't have the money to sign them.

Don't get me wrong, he's a good manager but its the other aspects.

1) His wages, far too big.

2) Would he want success for Aston Villa or money more? I think the latter.

3) Would he keep the tradition of bringing youngsters through?

4) Would be still buy English talent? I'm all for foreign signings but we need an English core.

5) His life outside football. Fake sheik, affairs etc...

Just a few reasons why I don't think he is the right man for us right now.

I would hate Sven to be our manager. His recent managerial record is dismal and he leaves every club, country in a mess and taking a massive payout.

His style of play is twice as boring as MON's worst teams though. Negative, negative, negative.

On the plus side, he would be a big draw for players. He just wouldn't have the money to sign them.

The players he signed for city though were mostly garbage and they weren't cheap.

TBH if we're looking to cut down on spending then sven has got no chance of getting it.

I think many people's views are tainted by his character and private life - his association with the seedier side of football is probably a factor.

Personally I think he's a Swedish Phil Brown - decent manager but a real rocket polisher.

Sven wouldn't be my first choice, or even my second or third to be honest. That said, I'd of course give him every opportunity to have a good go. (At least a week or two anyway ;) )

He's been brilliant in the past, but his career seems to have been a bit on the decline as he chases cash rather than glory. Can he revive his reputation at Villa? It's a risk by Lerner, I'll admit that.

update on ssn next. bookies have something new apparently

Pete Colley.. the ginger o/s BH..said that there were a few surprising names in the hat for the position & that Villa had numerous applications on the table. :wink:

Don't get me wrong, he's a good manager but its the other aspects.

1) His wages, far too big.

2) Would he want success for Aston Villa or money more? I think the latter.

3) Would he keep the tradition of bringing youngsters through?

4) Would be still buy English talent? I'm all for foreign signings but we need an English core.

5) His life outside football. Fake sheik, affairs etc...

Just a few reasons why I don't think he is the right man for us right now.

I understand people's concerns but I doubt he would rip the team apart t brign foreign players. Even at City Ireland, Richards, Hart, Onouha, Johnson all played regularly for him

Also last few years his reputation ahs took a beating and maybe he would like to turn it around as he would not get a club like Villa again