Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just lost interest I guess. It is clear that we are not, have never been, and will never be in a position to really break into the top 4 unless some filthy, mega-rich people force Lerner out. At best we could have gotten it as a once off, much as I suspect Spurs will. They'd be hard pressed to repeat that. Not only that, it does seem that we will have a hard time even keeping up financially with the likes of Everton. If we manage 6th again this season, I would be ecstatic. I feel the golden years are gone now. We'll see I guess.

The list of candidates offered by the bookies is pretty mediocre but I'm most disappointed by the complete lack of inspiring and interesting suggestions from the longterm anti-O'Neill brigade. C'mon boys - this is your time to shine!

So just because people dont like O'Neill doesnt automatically mean they have a direct replacement in line.

If someone bangs on about a problem for long enough, I don't think it's unreasonable for others to expect some kind of solution to be suggested. Otherwise you're just part of a bigger problem.

Martin Jol for me. Much better manager than O'Neill on every single level. Better coach, better tactics, better in the transfer market, better knowledge of European football, and less likely to behave like a teenage girl with PMT.

Even if you're right about all that, there's still the tricky problem of him staying exactly where he is.

If we ask him I think he would jump at the chance, Ajax have money troubles and lets be honest the Dutch league is a complete waste of time and money. Championship level at best IMO, this is kind of backed up by the fact that most of the people I work with watch MOTD and are proper clued up on the Prem. I even work with a guy who with his mates go to watch Newcastle 3 times a year by boat. they support Azzette FFS, yes it's that exciting. A season ticket costs a few days pay over here.

MOYES ON VILLA LINK

by Darren Griffiths

David Moyes has rubbished the mischievous headlines linking him with Aston Villa.

Some Evertonians had their Tuesday breakfasts ruined when they saw the manager mentioned as a possible replacement for Martin O'Neill but Moyes was quick to reassure the fans that the suggestion was little more than tabloid fantasy!

He confirmed once again that he's only interested in continuing the progress he has overseen at Everton over the last eight years.

During a Wednesday morning interview with talkSPORT radio, Moyes said: "I am loyal to Everton, I've always said that. It is a really good club and this year we have a really good team and we have a good chance of doing well."

Here

My List (Given that David Moyes ruled himself out)

Guus Hiddink (Unlikely)

Martin Jol

Sven Sven Sven Goran Eriksson

Scchteeve McClaren

Roberto Martinez

Sparky

Alan Curbishley

Steve Bruce (I know)

Mick McCarthy

Second last man on earth G Southgate

Last Man on earth Bob Bradley

We could only dream of having someone like Moyes, a man with real integrity - isnt it also funny how this manifests itself in most of his players too (barring that f*ckwit Lescott that they were better off without anyway)

I have a sneaky feeling its gonna be Klinsman

Does he live in the US at the moment though ?

Would be good on many levels IMO. Be nice for him to come back to VP as well, last time he was there he nearly got his head took off :D

(he did deserve it that day IIFC)

If we can't get Jol we are going to be stuck with a substandard manager. Simple as that

I really do not see why Jol is seen as the Messiah here... I see what he did at Spurs, but if you look at the size of the squad he had there and given our supposed problems with the wage/revenue ratio, it could well be hard to get him managing us right.

If we can't get Jol we are going to be stuck with a substandard manager. Simple as that

Thats the spirit..

That's my fear. Of all of the mooted replacements, he's the only candidate that I consider to be of equal ability to MON.

I hope I'm wrong obviously, and I'll back the new manager when he comes, but I fear that I may be less than patient if we get the likes of Bob Bradley in.

I really do not see why Jol is seen as the Messiah here... I see what he did at Spurs, but if you look at the size of the squad he had there and given our supposed problems with the wage/revenue ratio, it could well be hard to get him managing us right.

lombardo do you not remember santini came in, jol was his assitant. he flopped miserably and jol ha d a major job on his hands and he rebuilt the squad

Thats the spirit..

Of the front runners in the betting he is the only decent manager.

Bradley is a complete joke. From America to premiership. Don't make me laugh.

Sven, is a comedy figure these days. He can't take over.

Southgate failed in the championship. He isn't good enough.

Curbishley would be nothing short of uninspiring.

Klinsmann had one failed year at Bayern. He also had that buddah incident.

Dave Jones? That's not a serious contender.

Hughes is unavailable. Though would be decent.

So Jol is the only one with a proven record in the premiership.