Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sven got hammered by the press everyone said how good it was to get rid of him from the England job. Who is his coach -Tord Grip aged 70 odd !! Everyone said O'leary showed no passion in the dug out now folk want a Manager who show's even less, be careful what you wish for, & remember it because Sven taking over will be a mistake.

Sven got hammered by the press everyone said how good it was to get rid of him from the England job. .

How have Engl;and done since he left.

2008- didnt qualify

2010- 2nd round

shows English media knows nothing

Aguirre seems a pretty good manager, but there were also some accusations being flung around. About him receiving money from television companies to alter team selection. Don't know if they were baseless or not.

Like the majority I think the list of attainable leaves Jol at the top of the list, I have alot of time and respect for the man. I might even go as stupid as saying I wouldnt mind us paying the compensation to him and signing no one else but Ireland! (Of course if better is available it is more ideal)

Sven got hammered by the press everyone said how good it was to get rid of him from the England job. .

2008- didnt qualify

2010- 2nd round

Ok do you want a has been Manager that did not know how to play against 10 men!

Everyone could see that we needed to keep possesion against Brazil in that QF but we kept playing the long ball & giving it back to them.

Did he change it during that 45 mins? no he sat there clueless.

Be happy with the guy, just don't moan afterwards.

I think Jol is the ideal candidate, and I hope we attempt to capture him.

I agree that's he the ideal candidate.

But I don't see it happening since Ajax would want 12m euros in compensation and Lerner appears to want to cut back on spending, not increase it.

If I had to guess, I'd guess you'll end up with Sven.

There's no harm in trying to attract him to the club. As someone has mentioned above, if we're looking at long term objectives he would fit into our plans perfectly.

This, in my opinion, is probably the most important decision Randy will make.

He needs to show the fans that he has ambition, and he can do this one of two ways.

1.) He can get in an experienced manager who can improve us from the off. However the downfall is experienced managers will need a fair whack of money to build their own team. Although we do have a very good squad (in relative terms) and a very good manager can do a lot with what we have. Already mentioned but the ideal candidate would be someone like Jol. I'd only take Klinsman/Bradley if we got in an experienced No.2 to partner him, like Steve Clarke.

or

2.) He goes long term. By this I mean he can get a good young manager and allow him time to help develop team and club over 5-10 years. Someone who can build a legacy with the club like Ferguson/Wenger. Even if it means doing naff all for 2-3 years before we see the results, I would understand that short term pain for long term gain etc. Whether or not the impatient modern fan will stand for this however is a different matter.

It is vital that Randy makes the right decision. What I don't want is for us to sign some bland, predictable, midtable tool like Alan Curbishley. It smacks of settling for being a bland, predictable club that isn't competative. And I believe that a lot of fans would become dissillussioned with the club and the fans will dwindle. We've had enough of being a boring mid-table club.

To conclude, this is a massive decision for Randy. Lets hope he gets it right.

2008- didnt qualify

2010- 2nd round

Ok do you want a has been Manager that did not know how to play against 10 men!

Everyone could see that we needed to keep possesion against Brazil in that QF but we kept playing the long ball & giving it back to them.

Did he change it during that 45 mins? no he sat there clueless.

Be happy with the guy, just don't moan afterwards.

You know he was managing England a team that cant keep possession. Wasnt his fault he hadnt got the options England is a technically inferior football nation. Look at last World Cup or Euros

If Jol resigns, we wouldn't have to pay anywhere near as much as the 12million Euro's. They would take him to court to get an injunction to prevent him from working then the clubs would negotiate a fee for his services. It would all work out eventually but probably not in time for him to be at the Newcastle game, the timeframe suggested by SSN.

To be fair i don't think the issue is a lack of cash. I think the issue is HAVING to bring the wage bill down in line with the incoming rules? I.E a club MUST not spend more on wages than it brings in revenue wise? This would tie in with all the comments from RL, GK etc. As in there is money avaliable but we have to bring the wage bill down in line with our revenue capacity ...As will every single club in the Premier League don't forget! So that should put us in the top 7 or 8 clubs automatically anyway as in how much we can spend on wages. So this is why there is the focus on expanding the stadium.. Bigger capacity... Bigger revenue.... Bigger wages payable... Better players attractable!! This is why the plans & goals don't change surely as when the stadium is expanded we can aim higher... Just a timescale thing... Basically we need a couple of seasons of "standing still" whilst all this occurs then we can aim a bit higher? At least thats my reading of it all.

This, in my opinion, is probably the most important decision Randy will make.

He needs to show the fans that he has ambition, and he can do this one of two ways.

1.) He can get in an experienced manager who can improve us from the off. However the downfall is experienced managers will need a fair whack of money to build their own team. Although we do have a very good squad (in relative terms) and a very good manager can do a lot with what we have. Already mentioned but the ideal candidate would be someone like Jol. I'd only take Klinsman/Bradley if we got in an experienced No.2 to partner him, like Steve Clarke.

or

2.) He goes long term. By this I mean he can get a good young manager and allow him time to help develop team and club over 5-10 years. Someone who can build a legacy with the club like Ferguson/Wenger. Even if it means doing naff all for 2-3 years before we see the results, I would understand that short term pain for long term gain etc. Whether or not the impatient modern fan will stand for this however is a different matter.

It is vital that Randy makes the right decision. What I don't want is for us to sign some bland, predictable, midtable tool like Alan Curbishley. It smacks of settling for being a bland, predictable club that isn't competative. And I believe that a lot of fans would become dissillussioned with the club and the fans will dwindle. We've had enough of being a boring mid-table club.

To conclude, this is a massive decision for Randy. Lets hope he gets it right.

Great post. Steve Clarke has a very good reputation too.

I can't see us going backwards, even for the next couple of seasons as it would fly in the face of what Randy has said today about his ambitions for the club going forward. Cutting our cloth accordingly will have to be a part of the interview process so the new boss fully understands the expectations in terms of sell to buy or sell players who aren't likely to play.