Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

Your issue appears to be with hysterical fans but you quoted me in your little point scoring exercise, so I have a slight issue with that.

I also didn't say they should go around appeasing hysterical fans, I said there was little evidence, i.e. a serious approach was never mooted in the press, just a few brief links that swiftly vanished. The media can do the appeasing for them.

Anyway, since this isn't an argument the thread, nor you or I needs, the end. You should be happy I was happy to be proven wrong.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the only other option is to pander the british press then and tell them everything they want to know. It's how Spurs and other teams get so much gossip for their Breaking News.

If we want to know everything then we need to get our dirty laundry out and get in bed with the various journalists.

I was looking for an ad on youtube

Can't remember what brand it was for, but it showed a load of managers saying what the players called them.

Gaffer, boss etc. Then Houllier popped in and said 'Cuuch'.

Any one else remember it?

Randy has never been the type to actively speak to the press or give them snippets of info, so I don't know why he'd start now just to avoid some insecure fans worrying that we're not contacting the best people..

Also, General K stated in one of his posts that we've enquired about ALL the managers that have been mentioned in his thread. That's enough assurance for me, if it was needed in the first place.

repost slightly modified since things are now official.

IF this appointment is what the board of Aston Villa have decided, then I will place my firm support behind their choice. It has obviously been made with a great deal of thought and it has been done by consulting with various skilled and experienced authorities within the game on a number of levels.

I was extremely disappointed when MON left, it was unexpected and the timing was devastating. It was very clear that because of the poor timing, the "shortlist" of possible replacements would be short indeed. It has become clear that the owners of our club did not want to poach another clubs manager, but did try within the boundaries of decency and without using unethical means to attract other currently working managers (Moyes' contracted club was approached but they rejected that approach firmly as far as we are aware, and the Martin Jol situation was really quite clear and we had little hope from the beginning as far as that was concerned.) I, personally, am happy with this approach, I want my club to be conducting itself with dignity and treating other clubs and their staff with respect.

I am certain, and have been given no reason to suspect otherwise, that our club has searched and examined many candidates from far and wide. It has become clear that many candidates that were mooted here were either unsuitable when measured up to our expectations and aspirations, they had neither the experience or stature (Curbs?, Brown? KMac?) . On the other hand, it may well be that some candidates had their own expectations or demands that were not in keeping with our LIMITATIONS and a realistic business vision, given the particular circumstances of this current financial climate. (Sven??)

I really don't see how we can be certain with regard to how the club viewed any possible candidates until or unless the club decided to share their philosophy or methods with us, but to be frank, I rather suspect that information will never be forthcoming. Neither is there much point in debating who might or might not have had a chance to interview. (or for that matter who might never have been given a chance...) Of one thing we can be certain, the process has been challenging and not without some frustration.

The club has chosen a man with a great deal of experience in other leagues as well as our own, an internationally recognised profile and reputation, he has won titles and cups at a very high level, he could easily be placed in the same bracket as our former manager when his experience and success are considered, and it is arguable that his resume is actually considerably more impressive than that of the enigmatic MON. Yes, the choice might have been Klinsman, it may have been Hiddinck, but it may have also been Curbs or Bradley. I believe we've done well, even landed on our feet, if you like. If the prospective candidate has men he knows within the job that he would like to have as assistants, then he is more than welcome to bring them in as far as I'm concerned, whether they at one time wore the redscouse shirt or not. I would hope that the staff in charge of the team I support would have a professional attitude and conduct their affairs without childish partisanship getting in the way, as is the case, for example, with our own Ashley Young, who is of course not a boyhood Villa fan but a gunner, after all.

Welcome, Mr Houllier, as it would appear your arrival is imminent, I will trust the clubs decision, not only because

a) I have little choice

but also because

B) I have been given NO REASON not to.

Up The Villa!

I am adding this because the points contained within need to be restated. We have really landed on our feet. The more the time goes by after this breaking news, the more happy I have become. I wonder...If, after David O'Leary left, the club had decided that Houllier was the man and went for him instead of O'Neill, I wonder how the fans would have reacted at that time, without MONs tenure spliced in between??

cheers, Gary

I AM NOT ANGRY I AM JUST PLEASED TO BE HERE!

See you lot have been busy in the last 24 hours. I had great fun talking to a Leeds fan who was just happy to be in the championship, claiming it to be less drama and expectation of the prem, but with less misery and pain of league one.

GH to bring in a player of every continent. I want to be the united colours of benetton villa. UCBVFC

This will be our 3rd non-british manager... our second continental manager... WOWSER

Anyway, since this isn't an argument the thread

Yes it is

...is this the 5 minute argument or the 10?

;)

Sorry, this is "being hit on the head" lessons

Piss off, no it isn't...

56 pages to go :)

It's like a Sixth Form common room in the 70s.

GH to bring in a player of every continent. I want to be the united colours of benetton villa. UCBVFC

Im sorry but i quite like the English core of our team. Breaking that up now would be stupid. Unless were talking about Sidwell of course!!

So does Randy, and i would be shocked if that was not discussed between the two of them.

I think Randy also realises that we are still only three class players away from having a pretty decent shout of making some serious money. I think its a reason why hes gone for Houllier, since he knows the European market well and will use it.

Otherwise i dont think he would of come.

Im sorry but i quite like the English core of our team. Breaking that up now would be stupid. Unless were talking about Sidwell of course!!

As the current team has had a lot of Randy's money invested into it, I doubt we'll lose the British core.

I'd quite like us to have the odd Frenchy kicking around the subs bench or the reserves..

As the current team has had a lot of Randy's money invested into it, I doubt we'll lose the British core.

I'd quite like us to have the odd Frenchy kicking around the subs bench or the reserves..

Tbh im more concered with who hes planning to bring in from Antarctica!