Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

Seems like the General is suffering a rather acute case of verbal diarrhea. I think for all concerned he'd be best advised to keep his mouth shut with regard to (over)reacting to every negative comment he reads on a message board. I would have thought that he would have realised by now that it's the negativity of football based forums that keeps the things alive. And as for Houllier getting scared off by a few negative online comments, if he does he's not the man for the job. Time to duck your head back below the parapet General, me thinks.

Agreed. This is embarrassing.

Did'nt like it at all.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's something about English football and its fans. Sometimes we are our own clubs worst nightmare. It's one thing to be passionate about ones club, but being so passionate that no single person can ever be deemed good enough is downright harmful. The board have obviously talked to the man, yet we who in most cases haven't even seen him in the flesh write him off based on a record that, on paper, is pretty good. Insane and tragic and it certainly does effect the club negatively even if some people refuse to acknowledge that and claim that " it goes with the territory".

THIS

yeah good post. thankfully, Gerard Houllier knows that football is full of idiotic fans who know absolute jack shit

Quite like reading that Tom Ross article Jez, something about the way its worded hits home and makes you think...notebly the small points of the level of expectation from liverpool fans and the resulting treatment.

Alot of negative opinions seemed to be based on what liverpool fans thought of him

I'm very happy that its Houllier, I was having heart problems of my own regarding Bob Bradley and Alan Curbishley not too long ago. I'll feel even better about it when we sign up the pick of the French U-21s in January.

It would be nice if it was that straightforward but I doubt it is. I could be wrong but I would suspect that the cream of the french U21 squad are plying their trade at a decent level already.

.. Okay, so we'll go for the under 19's or under 18's!

I'm actually a little disappointed that Thompson won't be coming, didn't understand all the hatred towards him (apart from hopw mucdh of a liverplop fan he is). Hamann would be great though. I think Houllier is going to do a brilliant job here.

Quite like reading that Tom Ross article Jez, something about the way its worded hits home and makes you think...notebly the small points of the level of expectation from liverpool fans and the resulting treatment.

Alot of negative opinions seemed to be based on what liverpool fans thought of him

I liked it too. A fair assessment of Houllier's recent career.

It repeated what a lot of us have been saying as well "He won cups but Liverpool fans, and some Villa fans, seem to think he's crap because of it".

I'm excited at the appointment of Houllier!!

Not only is he as good a tactician as MON (IMO) but also he has a knowledge of French youth players and has a track record for signing quite a few good foreign players (along with a few dud signings, but all managers do that!).

I am slightly relieved at us not having Phil Thomson as well. Though he has a lot of enthusiasm, I felt uneasy having a hardcore Liverpool fan in our ranks.

Its hard to argue with Randys decision after reading this, although not perfect he has a lot going or him and Randy would have had all this research done as well i'd imagine.

Why Houllier is right for Aston Villa

Phil McNulty | 11:03 UK time, Tuesday, 7 September 2010

General Charles Krulak called on all his years as a US Marine commander to defend Gerard Houllier - and this was even before the Frenchman walked through the doors at Villa Park as the club's new boss.

Krulak's colourful intervention on behalf of the man he has already christened "Mr H" was, however, a clear indicator that Houllier's expected announcement as Aston Villa manager has not exactly been a cause for rejoicing among the regulars.

And yet Krulak, who revels in his image as a straight shooter in his dealings with Villa supporters as owner Randy Lerner's right-hand man, hit the nail on the head when he said: "Whatever anyone thinks of him, he deserves respect from the fans of this club."

Houllier does not only deserve respect as a person, he has a record in football that also deserves respect - and this is why Lerner is in the process of making a sound choice by attempting to appoint the former Liverpool manager as successor to Martin O'Neill.

Out of those linked with the job, such as Alan Curbishley, Sven-Goran Eriksson, Ronald Koeman and Villa reserve team coach Kevin MacDonald, Houllier's record of success in England, as well as his experience and vast contacts, make him the outstanding candidate from those Lerner has targeted.

I should declare some past history here. I got to know Houllier very well during his time at Liverpool and respected his occasionally complex but always fiercely driven and totally professional approach and personality.

And, with his appointment expected to be officially confirmed on Thursday, it is worth setting the record straight as history is in danger of delivering a flawed judgement on Houllier's time at Liverpool.

In the desire to paint him as a failure at Anfield, it is worth recalling he rebuilt the entire culture and philosophy of the club after the excess - and in a football context pure waste - of the so-called 'Spice Boys' era. How could a team of such natural talents only have a Coca Cola Cup win against Bolton in 1995 to show for their gifts?

This was acknowledged by then chief executive Rick Parry on the day Houllier left Anfield in May 2004, when he said: "Gerard changed things off the pitch as well as on it, bringing back both our pride and self-respect and instilling discipline and professionalism throughout the club.".

Houllier knew a fresh approach was needed and, after the inevitable break-up of his arranged footballing marriage with Roy Evans, he provided it.

Houllier is currently the national technical director of French football

Out went those he regarded as having outlived their usefulness, such as Paul Ince, in came a new, more pragmatic approach - and one that brought serious success back to Liverpool. He was accused of building a functional as opposed to flamboyant team but the ends justified his means.

Houllier's transfer record is often criticised and even he would struggle to make a case to defend the failures of players such as El-Hadji Diouf, Salif Diao and Bruno Cheyrou at Liverpool. Indeed, those three players are often paraded as the symbols of the beginning of the end of the Houllier era at Anfield - perhaps with some justification.

But the critics may care to remember masterstrokes, such as the signing of Sami Hyypia, a snip at £2.5m from Willem II (helped by a glowing reference from a Dutch television cameraman on a visit to Anfield), who went on to become one of the finest players and servants of the modern Liverpool era.

Stephane Henchoz was another inspirational addition to the spine of the team Houllier rebuilt. Then there was Didi Hamman, goalkeeper Jerzy Dudek and Gary McAllister.

If Houllier can recapture some of that magic in the market - and his knowledge of players has always been encyclopaedic - then the worries of the Villa faithful might just disappear.

Jamie Carragher's admiration for Houllier was evident in his presence alongside current boss Roy Hodgson on the Liverpool bench for his testimonial against Everton at Anfield on Saturday. Carragher, regarded by most as a manager of the future, revealed he would hope to model his approach on Houllier, such was his influence over his career.

And Steven Gerrard, the man Houllier appointed as Liverpool captain, also spoke glowingly about him while on England duty in Basle on Monday.

Danny Murphy was another who saw a career on the drift revitalised by Houllier to such an extent that he still flourishes for Fulham today. It is too easy to recall Houllier's failures while conveniently forgetting his successes.

Those players will also remember how Houllier fought back from the brink of death and major heart surgery in 2001 to return to Liverpool and resume his duties. How easy it would have been for him to walk away to a quiet life in France. Instead, he accepted he could not live without the game.

On another significant operational note, he also oversaw the complete overhaul of Liverpool's Melwood training base into the ulta-modern complex it is today - even helping design dressing rooms without pillars so no-one could "hide". Houllier was happy to conduct tours personally for journalists, such was his pride in the new home for his "family", as he referred to the club and his players.

And last but not least, he dealt in a currency Liverpool understands very well - success. Liverpool fans, even those who choose not to regard his reign with affection these days, will never forget 2001 and the treble capture of the Worthington Cup against Birmingham City, the FA Cup against Arsenal and the Uefa Cup against Alaves in Dortmund.

Again, Houllier's detractors pointed at "the Lucky Treble" - and admittedly the victory against Arsenal almost ranked as grand larceny when Michael Owen won an FA Cup final dominated overwhelmingly by Arsene Wenger's team - but you do not have success like that on the back of a hot streak of good fortune.

Houllier enjoys FA Cup success with Liverpool in 2001

He added the Worthington Cup again in 2003 with Liverpool's win against Manchester United in Cardiff but there was a growing sense his tenure had lost momentum after six years in charge by the time he made an amicable departure from Anfield at the end of the following season.

Houllier had become overburdened by pressure and criticism in his final season. Too many signings, such as Harry Kewell, did not come off and Liverpool were too far adrift of the title challengers for him to survive.

Kewell's free transfer arrival from Leeds United in the face of competition from Manchester United and Arsenal was greeted with the same elation as Joe Cole's recent signing by Roy Hodgson. Instead, the Australian was a desperate failure at Anfield.

This does not mean Houllier himself should be regarded as a failure. Many of the same players won the Champions League against AC Milan the following year, although no-one can deny Rafael Benitez also brilliantly plotted a course through that campaign.

And there is even a case to be made that he left a better side for Benitez than Benitez subsequently left for Hodgson.

Villa fans might show some understandable concern that these achievements were a lifetime ago in Premier League terms but Houllier has hardly been a man with his finger away from football's pulse.

He won the French title twice at Lyon before stepping down in May 2007 and has since travelled all over the world watching the game in his role with the French Football Federation.

Houllier is in good health and his interest in Villa confirms he retains the desire to succeed in club management even though he has just celebrated his 63rd birthday. His great friends Hodgson and England coach Fabio Capello are 63 and 64 respectively and no-one can question their enduring passion for the game.

He will bring meticulous planning and an almost slavish attention to the details of tactics and preparation to Villa Park should he arrive. After once asking Houllier to help with a rundown of teams for the 2002 World Cup in Japan, I arrived at his Melwood office to find him armed with pages of notes detailing his thoughts on the qualities or otherwise of each side in the tournament. Lack of preparation was not an option.

Villa's players will want for nothing in the pursuit of success, although they must buy into Houllier's team ethic and approach or there will be no future for them.

Houllier must also be in full control of football matters. Sitting in the directors' box watching others exert authority in the dugout will not be for him.

He has had plenty of approaches in recent years. He has been linked with jobs at club and international level and remains a hugely respected figure within football's worldwide community. Houllier always wanted a club that could satisfy his ambitions, which are aimed firmly at success, and he clearly believes Villa is a club that can match those aspirations.

An insight into Houllier's approach to football came when he was advised by some to retire from football after his serious illness, responding: "Football is my life and my oxygen and I don't want to live without it."

Now it looks like his next mission will be to breathe fresh life into Aston Villa.

Been posted before i think...

Whatever anyone thinks of him, he deserves respect from the fans of this club.

Once he's appointed then I'm sure he get that and he'll be judged on what he does with us not on his past record. Until then some fans (like me) will look at his previous record an worry that he's not going to do a good job with us.

It repeated what a lot of us have been saying as well "He won cups but Liverpool fans, and some Villa fans, seem to think he's crap because of it".

Not just villa fans believe me, got a lot of friends saying the same thing who dont support villa or liverpool. Granted with respectable football knowledge too.

But thinking about it after reading that article, the basis of the argument always starts by quoting how they remembered how much liverpool fans disliked him which is a pretty shit benchmark to use as liverpool fans are clueless.

You say his previous record doesn't count and he'll be judged by his performances here, then you say you are worried about his previous record and he might not be up to it.

Make your mind up. In case you did not notice the contradiction in your post.

Once he's appointed then I'm sure he get that and he'll be judged on what he does with us not on his past record. Until then some fans (like me) will look at his previous record an worry that he's not going to do a good job with us.

Regarding the generals comments about us showing the new guy respect, I 100 % totally agree we need to get behind the manager and the team as much as possible but it goes both ways. We will see how much the board respect the guy by the money he is given and who and when we buy players. I understand it will take him time to get up and running into the football thing again but I won't have any more half hearted transfer windows any more or Hesky type buys on one hand and then telling us the desire is still there for 4th. The 2 don't go together and never will, don't try and have me over with tactics, selling players or transfers, if 40K supporters are having a pop there is a good reason and the facts are facts, in 30 years we (the fans)have hardly ever been wrong, if we had been wrong I would have a few more stamps in my passport to places like Barca or Madrid. I am old enough to understand football and especially the Villa, one could say possibly better than the board as I have put the time and money into it longer than they have left to live so they need to keep that in mind.

For the board the 4 years with MON was a steep learning curve which I presume they have learned from. Not much comes out of the Villa currently that is any way positive and a few digs at the fans is expected I suppose but what they need to understand is erm....maybe a line from the film Mcvicar will help here : Prison Guard "You can cut that shit out Mcvicar, don't forget your in for 15 years" Mcvicar "Yeah, but your in for life though eh ?". Not that helpful I suppose but the point is the board need to understand they have had 4 years of frustration and problems to move us how far forward in terms of winning things? I, like 1000's of others have been putting up with this shit since 1983, a few tin pots along the way don't mean **** all in the big scheme of things. They have an out whenever they feel like it but we have a life sentence with the Villa, the quicker they understand this the better.

It could be a culture thing as American sport and it's supporters don't really get it. In England it's different, it's a way of life. I must think about the Villa a 100 times a day, I doubt the Brokeback Mountain raiders baseball (rounders team) or whatever have anywhere near the connection to their team. (They can move city in the US for example)

So what does it all mean, **** knows...not a lot as usual. I don't really plan my posts and it's not logical but from the heart not head, what I do know is we all need to apply to the Prison Guard union now I suppose.

:P

Get a grip...it is only football....I love Villa also but blimey you obvioulsy have a SERIOUS void in your life if you think of Villa 100 times a day.

Be happy supporting a great club come rain or shine...or are you just a GloryHunter?

Seems like the General is suffering a rather acute case of verbal diarrhea. I think for all concerned he'd be best advised to keep his mouth shut with regard to (over)reacting to every negative comment he reads on a message board. I would have thought that he would have realised by now that it's the negativity of football based forums that keeps the things alive. And as for Houllier getting scared off by a few negative online comments, if he does he's not the man for the job. Time to duck your head back below the parapet General, me thinks.

Agreed. This is embarrassing.

Of course it must be the Gen that is the embarrassment throughout all of this, couldn't possibly be the section of fans that have brought this outburst about that are the embarrassment.

I know which of the two I find more embarrassing, and it isn't Krulak's response however naieve it may be.